• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I was wondering if I could get a temperature check from you on something:

for those of you who have been back to work in person and work in a business casual environment, what do you wear to work? Has that changed from pre-Covid?

I work in economic development and communications for a rather populous county. We meet all the time with bankers, real estate developers, private employers of all sizes, universities, the Feds, the state... Suits or sportcoats were not required but they were sort of expected Mon-Thur pre-pandemic, especially if you were meeting with somebody. We're only in the office once or twice a week now (yesterday was my first time there physically in a few weeks) and the office is 100% closed to the public and nearly all of our meetings are still remote so everybody has gone very casual. It is no longer uncommon to see people in jeans any day (it's gotten to the point where I sort of expect HR to step in and restate the dress code). The few times I see guys in the office anymore over the past couple months, it looks like chinos or cords and a polo or sweater have become the new standard for being "dressed up".

No complaints from me, as that's what I've found myself gravitating to for the office for a while, I just liked to make sure they were neatly tailored and I could wear them with a sportcoat in the past. Now though, I haven't bothered with a sportcoat in months.

Like @deanandrewj I've been moving towards more DBF and DoppiaA stuff for the office, and even some stuff like Wythe and Monitaly, which seems even more casual.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else done with winter? Bring on the spring drops

I am done with snow (and shoveling it), but still need a bit more winter, feels like it just started. I have a few heavy knits that have yet to make it into the rotation.

Not before our Scott & Charters preorders drop!

And there's this! I didn't jump on pre-orders this go around (hopefully not the last S&C pre-order) but am looking forward to what @gdl203 and company ordered for stock.

Latest lie update from them is they’re shipping Feb 11

Excitedly waits......

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austin, Texas, working in tech/comms so generally atheleisure or dressing like Judah Friedlander from 30 Rock is fine. I had a kid wear a pink hoodie to a job interview on zoom a few months ago and asked him what went into his decision to wear sweats to an interview. Haven't heard from HR yet about that one.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Austin, Texas, working in tech/comms so generally atheleisure or dressing like Judah Friedlander from 30 Rock is fine. I had a kid wear a pink hoodie to a job interview on zoom a few months ago and asked him what went into his decision to wear sweats to an interview. Haven't heard from HR yet about that one.
I work in tech too. I was interviewing candidates yesterday while I was wearing a hoodie. I wouldn’t have a problem if one of them showed up dressed similarly. In fact, I interviewed a guy last week who showed up in a black suit with a pink bankers tie. My first reaction was “hmph.. seems a bit stiff”

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not blink at someone showing up for an interview in a hoodie or a t-shirt (especially if "athleisure is fine", and especially over zoom) but if someone asked me about my dress in an interview I would probably stop considering them as a place to work.

Rebus

Reaction score
I was on an interview the other day, wearing a button down, and the interviewer said something to the effect of "oh, you won't have to dress like that here." Spent the rest of the day wondering if button downs were stiff now.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s this little loop for on the back of the belted document chinos?

1643212070669.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was on an interview the other day, wearing a button down, and the interviewer said something to the effect of "oh, you won't have to dress like that here." Spent the rest of the day wondering if button downs were stiff now.

I've worn a shirt with a collar literally every day of work that I've had since my first job out of college, including all of the days I worked from home and only had to be on camera. I can't imagine wearing a sweatshirt or tshirt or even a sweater without a collared shirt underneath it for work.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn a shirt with a collar literally every day of work that I've had since my first job out of college, including all of the days I worked from home and only had to be on camera. I can't imagine wearing a sweatshirt or tshirt or even a sweater without a collared shirt underneath it for work.
Aren't you also on the verge of retirement? I will say the tech "casual" dress is very broad and something I've never seen in my career (since I don't work in tech)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I was wondering if I could get a temperature check from you on something:

for those of you who have been back to work in person and work in a business casual environment, what do you wear to work? Has that changed from pre-Covid?
I have a company sales meeting (biotech/pharma) next month so this came up recently. Email went out a month ago that said business casual. Anyone under 35 thought that meant “nice” jeans, a polo or collared shirt and sneakers. Guys over 50 would wear their old suits with no tie. “Fashionable” guys over 50 wore an actual sport coat (though 2 sizes too large).
I’m a bit of a hold out. Over the years I went from sport coat and trousers (no tie) to casual SC and chinos to chore coat or sweater and chinos. I still get odd looks and comments like, “Why are you dressed up?”
The idea of layers is lost on most of my colleagues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads