• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

vespertiliovir

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cold days = Irvin. Also wearing an IM hat and Thuyas (n viz) from NMWA.

8C74759E-BFDD-41F6-9758-D49DB694EE48.jpeg

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love to see a fit of the Barn Red. The product photo, at least on my computer, looks a bit more rust (which I'd prefer) vs what I'd assume would be a really bold red.

3C1EEA98-7DBD-42E4-A0BC-7D43E6899388.jpeg

How does the heavyweight tee fit? I have the 1950's tees and find they fit a tiny bit smaller than I prefer (after sizing up), but I think the heavyweight is a bit larger?

7C5FB202-C826-4D18-BCB3-3733DDDC8374.jpeg

Merz U-neck tees are some of my all time favorites and my only point of reference but the heavyweight tee feels like it has more volume. Not 18 East tee level, but wider sleeves and a touch more length. You can see it peeking out from under the sweatshirt in the first pic. Suits the beefiness of the fabric imo.

both pieces are 6/L. I go back and forth between M and L depending on the brand, I wouldn’t size down to M with Merz

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have this GRP rollneck and if so, does it fit under a sport coat? Are there any photos of the knit worn with a suit jacket or sport coat?

GRPknitwear_51_2048x.jpeg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have this GRP rollneck and if so, does it fit under a sport coat? Are there any photos of the knit worn with a suit jacket or sport coat?

View attachment 1742274
I have the white/cream one and no issues wearing it under a sportscoat. I take a size 5 in GRP and wear 40R tailoring. The only thing of note is that the rollneck has a bit shorter sleeve length than other GRP sweaters like the crewnecks. It's only a borderline issue because of my longish arms which lead me to buy GRP because of the longer sleeve lengths.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the white/cream one and no issues wearing it under a sportscoat. I take a size 5 in GRP and wear 40R tailoring. The only thing of note is that the rollneck has a bit shorter sleeve length than other GRP sweaters like the crewnecks. It's only a borderline issue because of my longish arms which lead me to buy GRP because of the longer sleeve lengths.

Thanks! I'm trying to get a sense of the thickness of the actual neck part of the turtleneck. I found this photo online of a GRP knit but don't know if it's the same model. Would you say this is accurate to the stuff you've bought?

grpknitwearfineknitrollneckSFTEC1merinocharcoal06_853x.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the way this one drapes, I’d say it’s not the same yarn/gauge. This looks thinner than our merino t necks. I’d say ours are a medium weight (4 ply kinda weight).

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm trying to get a sense of the thickness of the actual neck part of the turtleneck. I found this photo online of a GRP knit but don't know if it's the same model. Would you say this is accurate to the stuff you've bought?

View attachment 1742284
Obviously I defer to Greg. I like turtlenecks but I always start sweating on the neck. The merino rollneck is quite excellent and I actually wear it more than my cashmere rollneck. I recently just got the bubble stitch rollneck which is a lighter knit which is just perfect imo. It's not easy finding a thin gauge knit that I won't be afraid of durability, but GRP just nails it. Hope NMWA brings more

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pic @dieworkwear posted looks like the same fine gauge as our GRP merino polo sweaters (they call it TEC 1 - our merino t-necks are TEC 7). The bubble knits are similar weight to TEC 1

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
Received my PF overshirt and after the maiden voyage- have thoughts! I like it but it did not knock my socks off. I would not uniformly recommend it, but certainly has a home in many wardrobe. Pro’s
1. The pattern is excellent
2. The color wonderful
3. Chest pockets ample, which I love and view as a major plus.
4. Well constructed, feels like a tank.
5. Very warm. It was in the low 20s and originally had it layered with a Todd Snyder cashmere long sleeve tee, and was way to warm with a normal winter coat when outside, and took warm when indoors sans winter coat. I then swapped the knitwear for a regular tee shirt. I had to be outside later in the evening for 5 to 15 minutes a couple different times and just had the tee and overshirt on. While I was cold, I was not terribly uncomfortable.

the cons.
1. The flannel is surprisingly course. Not nearly as soft as a typical PF shirt.
2. The liner is somehow scratchy. Its was unpleasant wearing the shirt with shirtsleeves.
3. The buttons are gigantic. I’m sure some won’t find this as much as a con as I do, since it is an over shirt.

In summary, a nice piece. Visually appealing, Not as luxurious, as I expected. Perhaps, my expectations were too high.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You found the full viscose lining scratchy? :confused2:

Material is not “flannel” - it’s virgin wool. It’s not at all like a PF flannel shirt. It’a basically wool jacketing.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pic @dieworkwear posted looks like the same fine gauge as our GRP merino polo sweaters (they call it TEC 1 - our merino t-necks are TEC 7). The bubble knits are similar weight to TEC 1
Greg, how does the merino/cashmere crisscross and the dash stitch compare in weight? Considering picking up both.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg, how does the merino/cashmere crisscross and the dash stitch compare in weight? Considering picking up both.

They’re both on the light side. Similar to bubble for the dash stitch. A little thicker for the criss cross

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads