• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone elaborate on the Heschung Thuyas vs the paraboots?

? and ?

Not really—sawtooth/pinking shears–like trim on paraboot, plus a diagonal side seam. Heschung is a bit more streamlined. Some people say heschung quality is a bit nicer, some people say no.

Hopefully that answered some questions.

This is fantastic thank you for doing this!

Gonna make a new thread so that others can contribute.

Are those thuyas the ones on the site now? The color looks great, except in the second pic they look much lighter. I assume the other pics are more correct?

@troika

Yes, I mean I've worn these quite a bit too so they darkened up a bit. They're a nice light caramel color.

If I’m a 10E should I go all the way down to an 8.5 or just to 9?

This is a tough call cuz for me it's about the length, the width is gonna be fine on 8.5 or 9. I *thiiiink* you can get away with 8.5, but you might be better off getting a 9 just in case.

FWIW Kyle is a 10 and he wears a 9 in thuya

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a 10.5D brannock, low instep. I have thuyas in 9 and Michaels in 44, length-wise they are almost identical, with maybe an extra millimeter on the Michaels. I would say that I have all the other traditional hallmarks for sizing - 10D van/barrie, 10.5 Aberdeen, 11 or 11.5 in sneakers.

Volume-wise, thuyas are gigantic (but that's cuz I have flat feet too probly). Thuya lacing basically overlaps on me, while Michaels have about a centimeter gap in between the two.
My feet are exactly the same in size 9.5D. I went with size 8.5 because I was worried about size 8 being too short. Using a Dr. Scholl's insole improved the fit immensely.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great comparison pics. I think the profile difference is most striking with the Thuya going up quite a bit higher on the instep.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My feet are an extremely standard US10D (similar downsizing as @troika) and back when Thuyas were more easily accessible ordered a 9, 8.5, and 8. In my experience, 8.5 was unequivocally the right size. 9 could be worn, but I’d need an insole. 8 was getting cramped.

They are kind of slip on y, which makes things odd. But I love them so much.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm also a 10 US and for me 8.5 fit perfectly, I can slip them on an off without untying the laces, but they are plenty secure on my foot. I tried to make 9 work with an insole but that was a mistake, they were just too big.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, made a new thread here to take the clutter away from nmwa. Please post your takes, and comparison photos if you also have both shoes.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside of the Thuya talk, wore KS and document and a beer.

60DB964B-7409-476A-AADE-7D601462BDA0.jpeg

gurakshun

Reaction score
So I may move from the northeast to the greater Los Angeles area, and although everything else is good I feel sad that I can’t wear any cold weather or rain gear. Is there any place that I could live around the greater Los Angeles area that might give me a chance to still make use of my awesome NMWA coats and jackets for rain/cold weather?

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I may move from the northeast to the greater Los Angeles area, and although everything else is good I feel sad that I can’t wear any cold weather or rain gear. Is there any place that I could live around the greater Los Angeles area that might give me a chance to still make use of my awesome NMWA coats and jackets for rain/cold weather?

tbh not a lot of options to wear heavy coats/ jackets in LA and neighboring cities/ towns except in winters, when nearby mountain ranges have been getting snow for past few years, and if you're ready to travel to NorCal, then you have plenty of opportunities to wear winter jackets in Yosemite, Tahoe, Eastern Sierra etc.

If you want to wear lightweight jackets year round, stay close to ocean.

Welcome to CA!

p.s. you're going to have to wait longer to receive your packages!

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New things:
IM henna cardi
KS easy pants. The texture really is something. I’d say it’s lightweight and slubby with a hint of sheen.
Hey just revisiting this again, I'm between sizes (i.e. 31, between a S and M). Leaning towards moving up half size (M) to get a relaxed feel, would you say that's a doable move, given your experience with the piece?

Trayco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey just revisiting this again, I'm between sizes (i.e. 31, between a S and M). Leaning towards moving up half size (M) to get a relaxed feel, would you say that's a doable move, given your experience with the piece?
Yea I’d say for a relaxed feel M should be good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads