• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

jaaz16

Reaction score
Hahaha, this question comes up whenever the weather starts turning warmer. I'll throw an alternate out there to Smitty's and Ambulance's replies - size up if you're in between sizes!

My optimal shoe size for non-athletic footwear is 11.5/44.5, and I always go with a size 45 in Castañers. They've held up well for me, I've pounded around San Francisco, London, Paris, and Barcelona, no issues with heel slippage or pinching or toes flopping etc. And if they turn out to be a touch too big, you can add tongue pads to make them more snug.

Dude, I know, I searched through the thread and saw the divergent recs that didn't paint a clear picture, and figured *******, let's try again!

One question I wonder is how much break in or stretching occurs, particularly around at the toe box. That might help me make my own decision. anyway.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Got that + cheesesteak with whiz and onions + cheesesteak with provolone and onions. Sweet potato fries. Onion rings

cheesesteaks > roast pork (4 votes to 0)

One of the best breakfasts I have ever had was in Reading Terminal Market...cheesesteak with three scrambled eggs on it. Fantastic.

NO MERCY

Reaction score
@jaaz16, sizing is pretty forgiving on these, they are soft shoes.

Consider how you will actually wear the shoes. Are you going to be traipsing around all day in them, logging some serious miles? Or just walking from the villa to the beach?
I'm in between sizes and went up. But my Castaners are my beach vacation shoes and I enjoy a little extra breathing room and the ease of being able to step in and out of them without much hassle.

jaaz16

Reaction score
@jaaz16, sizing is pretty forgiving on these, they are soft shoes.

Consider how you will actually wear the shoes. Are you going to be traipsing around all day in them, logging some serious miles? Or just walking from the villa to the beach?
I'm in between sizes and went up. But my Castaners are my beach vacation shoes and I enjoy a little extra breathing room and the ease of being able to step in and out of them without much hassle.

This is helpful, thanks (I mean, all the responses have been helpful). I don't live in a big city so I won't be wearing them for, like, a long day walking out and about with friends, walking from one spot to another. But, my plan is to wear them on a walk with the kids, for instance. And generally lounging around, errands that I drive to, etc. Maybe a trip to the zoo, though I'd likely stick with the Vans for that. That sort of thing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, I know, I searched through the thread and saw the divergent recs that didn't paint a clear picture, and figured *******, let's try again!

One question I wonder is how much break in or stretching occurs, particularly around at the toe box. That might help me make my own decision. anyway.
When I size down they are a bit snug but loosen after a few wears. I keep one pair to saunter out to the pool and one as house shoes which I wear daily.

Last edited:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
I'm looking for some Castañer loafer sizing advice. Here's how my current shoes land: 9.5 most sneakers; 9 in Vans slip ons; 8.5D in most boots/dress shoes (8C in Alden Indy, which I think is consistent); 41 in Birk Boston; and for my one pair of loafers I sized down .5 to an 8, per the brand's recommendation (they're comfy but snug and need a shoe horn to get on--though haven't been worn much at all yet).

I'm thinking 42 or 41. I tried searching the thread but the advice seemed to point in both directions. What do you all think?

42 will be spot on. I'm one size above you in everything you've written here, and I take a 43 Castaner.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is still there, but DiNic's roast pork sandwich IS the pork sandwich I was thinking of - the Tony Luke's neon from Greg short-circuited my neural synapses...
Haven't been by in a while, but DiNic's is/was probably the most popular place in the Terminal, so can't imagine they're not there anymore. I like Tony Luke's roast pork a little more from memory (w/ sharp prov and rabe), but more of a cheesesteak guy myself. Hershel's is so slept on, though.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
42 will be spot on. I'm one size above you in everything you've written here, and I take a 43 Castaner.
Agree. I am a very consistent US 8.5D/EU 41.5 and the 42 Castaner fits me perfectly. I don’t think I’d be able to size down comfortably.

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have trouble with Fedex tracking? My package location was last updated on 3/31 and shows it left NJ. Delivery says "pending." Not in a rush but also don't want my stuff getting lost.
I ordered some sunglasses with two day shipping. FedEx delivered them 7 days later. I was told there was a delay throughout the Midwest. Mine was stuck in Indy for 4 days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads