• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Jazzthief

Reaction score
I have a question for those with experience with Jamieson's Shetland Fair Isle knitwear that No Man Walks Alone sells. I am about to purchase one, but I am unsure about sizing as I have never had a 'full cut' sweater before - only regular plain 1-2 ply jumpers. At the moment I am comparing the measurements of my Suitsupply size M V-neck in merino wool and am really unsure about what size I should pick for the Jamieson's knit. I put the measurements of my Suitsupply knit in the Size Finder on the No Man Walks Alone site, but the results are inconclusive.

The measurements of my Suitsupply size M knit that fits me well in the body and the sleeves: body length - 68 cm/26.7 inches; chest - 52 cm/20.4 inches; sleeve length - 76 cm/29.9 inches.

The Size Finder suggests size 40 that is 1 cm tighter in the chest and 2 cm shorter - I might actually prefer this. However, the sleeves are a whopping 6 cm longer - the length of the Suitsupply ribbed cuff!

The locigal step would be to size down (size 38), but the chest would then be 4 cm tighter, which seems a bit much. It would also be 5 cm shorter, but that is also fine by me as I wear high rise trousers anyway so I would have to deal less with the annoying rolling. The sleeves would still be 2 cm longer, but that sounds a lot more managable. I am also a bit hesitant about the size 38 as it is their smallest size and I never wear S and lean towards M or M/L as S is simply too small for me.

So the main concerns are the chest width (will it be too tight?) and the sleeve length (will it be too long?).

I am 178.5 cm tall; with strong shoulders, slim, but athletic. My chest size is about 93 cm/36 inches;

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something doesn't sound right about sleeve length - I suspect a measurement error. Do you measure it like we do (from center of collar straight to shoulder point and then straight down the sleeve)?

You can't be a 36 chest and 5'11" and find the Jamieson sleeves too long in relation with the chest - that seems counterintuitive to me. I would have normally recommended size 38 for a 36 chest, if you're looked for a slim look, and 40 if you're looking for a more relaxed look

nycs10011

Reaction score
I have a question for those with experience with Jamieson's Shetland Fair Isle knitwear that No Man Walks Alone sells. I am about to purchase one, but I am unsure about sizing as I have never had a 'full cut' sweater before - only regular plain 1-2 ply jumpers. At the moment I am comparing the measurements of my Suitsupply size M V-neck in merino wool and am really unsure about what size I should pick for the Jamieson's knit. I put the measurements of my Suitsupply knit in the Size Finder on the No Man Walks Alone site, but the results are inconclusive.

The measurements of my Suitsupply size M knit that fits me well in the body and the sleeves: body length - 68 cm/26.7 inches; chest - 52 cm/20.4 inches; sleeve length - 76 cm/29.9 inches.

The Size Finder suggests size 40 that is 1 cm tighter in the chest and 2 cm shorter - I might actually prefer this. However, the sleeves are a whopping 6 cm longer - the length of the Suitsupply ribbed cuff!

The locigal step would be to size down (size 38), but the chest would then be 4 cm tighter, which seems a bit much. It would also be 5 cm shorter, but that is also fine by me as I wear high rise trousers anyway so I would have to deal less with the annoying rolling. The sleeves would still be 2 cm longer, but that sounds a lot more managable. I am also a bit hesitant about the size 38 as it is their smallest size and I never wear S and lean towards M or M/L as S is simply too small for me.

So the main concerns are the chest width (will it be too tight?) and the sleeve length (will it be too long?).

I am 178.5 cm tall; with strong shoulders, slim, but athletic. My chest size is about 93 cm/36 inches;

I have attached pictures of how the Suitsupply size M knit fits and is proportioned with the rise of trousers I wear. Ignore the awful drape of the trousers, I am in the countryside at the time and had no other proper trousers at hand - they drape okay when worn with braces.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

This is how I like the length.
View attachment 1506212

This is how long the Suitsupply size M is.
View attachment 1506213

This is how it looks tucked in; I do not wear it like this, but it might help you to better understand the proportions.
View attachment 1506214

I usually take a 38/40, medium in most things. I went with a 40 in the Jamieson's vest and have other knitwear from them as well. I find they run slightly snug to size, if you want slouchy I'd size up otherwise go TTS. no sleeve length issue on the vest but the other knits had pretty typical sleeve length, no issue there.

nycs10011

Reaction score
Anyone with the Fujito flannel fatigue shirt: how much did it shrink with a wash (and dry?). I just received one, and it seems very long and big in the body. Wondering if it might shrink a lot and get closer to a preferable shape. (I realize it’s less likely to shrink much in the body.)

I sized down to a 1 on this one to get the fit I wanted, haven't washed it yet, not sure I'd expect much that much shrinkage with my typical cold wash & hang dry but I'm also curious. The fit is particular I wasn't sure I'd keep it but I decided I liked it in the end.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
something doesn't sound right about sleeve length - I suspect a measurement error. Do you measure it like we do (from center of collar straight to shoulder point and then straight down the sleeve)?

You can't be a 36 chest and 5'11" and find the Jamieson sleeves too long in relation with the chest - that seems counterintuitive to me. I would have normally recommended size 38 for a 36 chest, if you're looked for a slim look, and 40 if you're looking for a more relaxed look
I usually take a 38/40, medium in most things. I went with a 40 in the Jamieson's vest and have other knitwear from them as well. I find they run slightly snug to size, if you want slouchy I'd size up otherwise go TTS. no sleeve length issue on the vest but the other knits had pretty typical sleeve length, no issue there.
I’m 6’1” and the Jamieson in 46 is a bit short on me in the sleeves, so I very much doubt they would be too long for you in a 40.

Thank you all for your responses; you have been very helpful! I indeed had measured the sleeves using an incorrect method. The correct sleeve length is 85 cm.

I tried on my father's old and very thick knit that is shorter in the body and has shorter sleeves, but is very roomy and wide in the chest. It fits me very well, but the sleeves are at their absolute last with the length of 80 cm - the sleeves on the size 38 Jamieson's is 78 cm so I cannot go for the slimmer silhouette that has been suggested as the sleeves would be too short on these for sure. I am therefore opting for the size 40 knit which is slightly shorter and tighter than my current Suitsupply knit.

Once again: thank you all for your help and input!

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized down to a 1 on this one to get the fit I wanted, haven't washed it yet, not sure I'd expect much that much shrinkage with my typical cold wash & hang dry but I'm also curious. The fit is particular I wasn't sure I'd keep it but I decided I liked it in the end.
Thanks! I probably should have sized down, too. The fabric and details are great, but it’s definitely designed to fit quite big.

mrpi56

Reaction score
PXL_20201128_170953541.jpg

BF bounties worn together- giubottino shacket, doppia sweater, begg scarf. Likely going to return the shacket because the sleeves are too long for me.

tailoredtech

Reaction score
Got some goodies yesterday. The Post Imperial x Aisling Camps sweater is being slept on. Love the asymmetrical design of it. Super soft too.

DSC05024.jpg

Wearing with Leder drawstring pants. Got Leder pants in a M but will be exchanging for an L. Thought the waistband was stretchy but that wasn't the case so they were a bit difficult to put on. The fabric is amazing on them though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sweater is bonkers

tailoredtech

Reaction score
@unbelragazzo went with the suggestion of going a size up (went up to a L). Sweater is plenty roomy but it is shorter in the torso so you should double check the measurements for that.

As to the Leder pants, they're definitely very roomy. And yes, pretty voluminous and flowy but it is a heavy flannel so it might not move as much as a lighter one. I quite like the shape of them, especially with the dropped crotch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads