• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

NO MERCY

Reaction score
@kevenmee, my preferred method of sweater repair (and one I'm fairly sure I originally learned of from @dieworkwear) is Woolfiller. The process is super easy and the result is very unobtrusive if you use similar colors of wool rather than some of the high-contrast examples on their website.

Here's a pic of a woolfiller repair I did on the body of a patterned sweater
1601423956177.png

And a much larger patch on the cuff of same sweater
1601424122723.png

Last edited:

c0ldfusion

Reaction score
I'd put the sweater in a plastic bag and put the whole thing in the freezer for a few days to make sure that any eggs are killed, if it was moths or other bugs.

If you don't want to darn it yourself, you might be able to find someone who does that kind of repair. I found someone through Yelp who primarily does quilting but also said that she could do a re-weaving/darning repair on a sweater that also had some ambiguous holes.

Could one just store sweaters in the fridge in the off season? ?

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any faves?

8321E456-1B0D-4CBC-BB84-71687C1E3799.jpeg

I know I have said it before, but the seeing the clothes styled so well together on the mannequins (with the brands mixed) and the various drops discussed on the livestreams directly influences me to buy more. That so many retailers have such poor styling and so few details/info available to customers on their websites is crazy to me, especially in the current menswear economy. Making people want to actually buy clothes seems like it would be good business strategy!!!

letsgofire

Reaction score
Think I know the answer, but hoping against all hope.

Unpacked my sweater and I think (???) that I got some moth holes. Any recommendations on how to repair this (or if we're running this sweater back sometime)?.

One of my favorite sweaters too. Only regret is that I didn't wear it more o_O

rxdVkGo.jpg

Close ups:
NTVeEK9.jpg

bdPJ0Hn.jpg

pZw95jl.jpg
Send it to Without A Trace in Chicago. Expensive but worth it.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I know the answer, but hoping against all hope.

Unpacked my sweater and I think (???) that I got some moth holes. Any recommendations on how to repair this (or if we're running this sweater back sometime)?.

One of my favorite sweaters too. Only regret is that I didn't wear it more o_O

rxdVkGo.jpg

Close ups:
NTVeEK9.jpg

bdPJ0Hn.jpg

pZw95jl.jpg

Theoretically, if you found a knit in this condition, what would you do with other knits stored in the same place?

kevenmee

Reaction score
Please let dedicated sweater freezers become an SF thing.

This reminds me of the age old advice of storing your smelly, ball sweat covered jeans in the freezer...I'm going to pass on that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Theoretically, if you found a knit in this condition, what would you do with other knits stored in the same place?

If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, you can put your knits into a plastic trashbag and put them into the trunk of your car for a week. The heat or cold will kill the moth eggs.

If you don't live in an area with extreme temperatures, then there's really no substitute for just washing them. You can machine wash stout cotton knits like sweatshirts. Most knits will have to be hand washed or dry cleaned.

kevenmee

Reaction score

Honestly...I have been freaking out a little about this. This was one of two sweaters I packed when I went to stay with my GF during Feb/March and have been extremely slow about unpacking my luggage after I got back home in August. Thankfully, my other sweater has no signs of any holes.

Been researching how to best protect my other knits, and it's been a rabbit hole. I'm halfway convinced to store all my knits in their own plastic bag as if I were a serial killer preserving all my "goods".

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly...I have been freaking out a little about this. This was one of two sweaters I packed when I went to stay with my GF during Feb/March and have been extremely slow about unpacking my luggage after I got back home in August. Thankfully, my other sweater has no signs of any holes.

Been researching how to best protect my other knits, and it's been a rabbit hole. I'm halfway convinced to store all my knits in their own plastic bag as if I were a serial killer preserving all my "goods".

FWIW, I once interviewed a textile conservationist who works with historical societies and museums. She gave some tips on how to deal with moths here:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, you can put your knits into a plastic trashbag and put them into the trunk of your car for a week. The heat or cold will kill the moth eggs.

If you don't live in an area with extreme temperatures, then there's really no substitute for just washing them. You can machine wash stout cotton knits like sweatshirts. Most knits will have to be hand washed or dry cleaned.
Did you ever have any issues with Moths in Moscow? Incoming band name.

I've never heard of it happening anywhere in Canada.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads