• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

letsgofire

Reaction score
FOMO pushed me over the edge. I ordered black suede Valstar also. Wife may kill me.

Also picked up the Guibbottino in wool. I don't really have anything like this. I also got 2 of those Bottonato fabric shirts and one regular denim one Japanese denim.

Big order for me!

c0ldfusion

Reaction score
maybe a dumb question - I take a 46 in Valstarino, I assume sizing the same for Clint?

c0ldfusion

Reaction score
Oh wow I'm glad I asked.
I actually saw afterwards the dimensions are basically identical in the size charts so this is a little surprising.
Could you elaborate a bit more on where the cuts differ? Chest? Waist? Thanks man!

c0ldfusion

Reaction score
I should add some more details on how the valstarino fits me.

The unlined suede version fits me comfortably. Sufficient room for versatile layering and perhaps even a bit loose around the arms.

The fabric version is snug everywhere on the body, which works well for a spring jacket.

Should I still size down for the Clint? Thanks

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm not going to make that call, but I find the size chart on the Clint is very representative of the fit.

Personally, I would be happy with the Clint in either a size 52 or 54. I have a 52 and generally wear it over a t-shirt, chambray, or flannel. If I wanted to wear more regularly over more layers (a sweater, for example), I would want a 54. To illustrate that point, I have a photo of myself looking a little overstuffed in my size 52:

IMG_9454.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo handy, but I really like how this 52 fits with jeans and a t-shirt. I also think jeans and a shirt is a better stylistic fit.

Maybe that is helpful. If not, definitely rely on the NMWA team's guidance.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greg,

I am interested in the moon tweed valstarino. I have plenty of experience with Harris tweed but not as much with moon. However I like the look of the red better than the green. Are the two very similar in feel? In the pictures, the Harris looks more coarse. I see the Harris tweed is $100 more and while I assume valstar would not use anything less than quality I am wondering why two different tweed makers at two differing price points. Surely Harris tweed had a red pattern.
A quick google search did not have a great explanation of the differences.
Your thoughts having handled them both if you would.
Thank you,

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love a black Clint but import costs would kill me. Let me know if anyone wants to flip later on.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does the Clint have side **** pockets? I’d just the front flaps?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, Valstar pre-order talk. I've decided to be helpful and provide my 2c.

At this point, I have the Clint in a size 50 and a shearling trucker in a size 52. Both are pictured.

1582718463439.png

1582718230954.png

And here are the measurements:
1582718704561.png
1582718841048.png
1582718723126.png

I am 100% confident that I could not go down a size in the shearling trucker. Further, I would not want to go up a size. The shearling trucker is perfect for its intended purpose. I can wear it with some knitwear - however, by and large, the sizing is more conducive to t-shirts and shirts.

The Clint is trickier. My "pressure points" on the Clint are my shoulders (which just hit my shoulder) and, when zipped, it is pretty darn slim. While the Clint has the same chest size as the shearling trucker, it does fit a touch looser - the cow-hide/cord is not as thick as the shearling/mouton. Again, I can wear the Clint with light knitwear, i.e., ts(s) turtlenecks, Merz sweatshirts, etc., but nothing more than that. And even so, it gets really overstuffed really quick. Further, the Clint is a little tight, zipped, on my hips. But that is not uncommon because I have child-birthing hips.

Now, compare my fit to @mmmargeologist, who "upsized" - arguably, the sleeves are a touch too long, albeit not outside the margin of error. And the shoulders extend just past his shoulder line - which, frankly, looks nice and slouchy.

Honestly, I am absolutely torn about this (obviously, I'm consider the black Clint). The good news, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Finally, the last question for me is related to the flight jacket - stick with the 50, or go with the 52? I don't really want it to be as slim as my trucker - but with the extended shoulders and the addition .8" of chest room, maybe it is alright. @gdl203, do you know what the thickness of the shearling/mouton is with the flight jacket?

I hope this is helpful, although I imagine that it may just be perplexing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads