• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
Major Financial Service firm in New York.
Was:
Suit and Tie on the formal end to Sport Jackets, Trousers and no ties and no tie on the casual end. Fridays, shift down in formality. Suit guys shift down to Sport Jackets, Trousers and no tie. If you were in the casual end chinos, collared shirts and Patagonia or something vest.
I was on the formal side.

Is:
Formal end: Sports Coat and trousers, no tie. Casual end: jeans, casual pattern collared shirt the vest.

Me: OBD, Chinos, Cords or Flannels and a sports jacket.

Net net - no ties or suits unless a very special occasion. Way more sports coats. Way more chinos and Flannels. More casual dress shirts. Casual patterns or OBD.

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Valstar coat, IM knit, KS cords

F9DF7EA5-2ABD-4E9F-8512-F2CD600B2726.jpeg

C2C97385-D467-4A2D-BB85-BDA400C94F66.jpeg

You’re telling me a boat built this sweater?
1CDE4D53-A5C9-42ED-9442-346A9FA377C8.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you compare the wool/mohair/alpaca and wool/mohair scarves in the sale?
The Pais scarves are softer and more stretchy than the Zinfandel (which is a woven, not a knit). The Zinfandel is beautiful and a large, dramatic stole, but for someone with sensitive skin I'd probably go with the Pais. Any of the Begg scarves are softer, of course, but a different vibe too. The Inis Meain alpaca/silk are super soft and probably easy to envision for anyone who has handled teh IM alpaca/silk before

deanandrewj

Reaction score
I work in real estate for a national, publicly traded company in the Philadelphia area. The dress code over the last decade has gone from suits every day, to business casual ~5 years ago, to now basically no formal policy aside from "dress appropriately for your position" and "use best judgement". For guys this means I see a huge range of what people wear to the office. I'd say the most typical expression of this is a dress shirt with dress pants or chinos and most likely bad shoes, but it runs the gamut on the casual side and even more so post pandemic. The patterned shirt under zip up fleece/quilted vest or quarter zip with chinos look is pretty common. Also very common is a pair of jeans with a sweat wicking material polo shirt with an athletic brand logo or golf course or corporate logo. It's so all over the place that it's difficult to navigate.

I've worn a sport coat with an open necked shirt and wool trousers a handful of times when going back in, just because I like wearing a sport coat - but there are very few sport coats in the building. I've been thinking more about what to wear once we go back more frequently and I think with how casual everything has gotten I'm moving more towards wearing Doppiaa and De Bonne Facture type stuff. This time of year that probably means interesting knitwear with some cords, maybe jeans, and an overcoat. More or less, what @#dadcore is wearing above. Warm weather is definitely more challenging in this lack of dress code environment.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
big 4 has made the transition to "dress for your day", meaning if you're just in the office, it's more relaxed. i could wear what dadcore posted above and be fine. if you're visiting a client or hosting a client, you step it up a bit depending on their dress code.

in the few times i've gone in to the office over the past few months it's mostly been a casual button down, jeans, and loafers or a sweater / turtleneck, 5 pockets pants, and boots. i don't see that changing much outside of some client visits which might require some slacks and a sport coat, or maybe a suit.

XXghostfaceXX

Reaction score
Hey guys - I was wondering if I could get a temperature check from you on something:

for those of you who have been back to work in person and work in a business casual environment, what do you wear to work? Has that changed from pre-Covid?
In my city / industry the dress code is mostly consistent between companies, with some outliers on either end of the bell curve.

Pre-Covid uniform:
Nice dress shoes / loafers, wool / cotton slacks, button down shirt. Sometimes sports coat, but everyone always had one at the office ready to go. Tie or suit for a big meeting only.

Post-Covid:
Dress sneakers, five pocket, cotton trousers, easy pants. Button down shirt and/or knit. Sport coats for big meeting only. Never see suit or tie anymore :(

Most worn NMWA items:
SdC easy pants, Doppiaa 5 pockets, Farnese belts, and especially the outerwear. NMWA outerwear snaps necks in a sea of patagucci and arcteryx.

Last edited:

TC11201

Reaction score
Hey guys - I was wondering if I could get a temperature check from you on something:

for those of you who have been back to work in person and work in a business casual environment, what do you wear to work? Has that changed from pre-Covid?
I’m in anything from jeans, shirt (and likely a sweater in the winter) to sports coat, trou and shirt some days. Depends on what I have going on that day. It’s generally casual. I won’t do full on weekend wear to the office, however.

The dress code (or lack thereof) hasn’t changed versus the Before Times. We set the ‘no dress code dress code’ when we started the company and haven’t really seen a need to amend that as we’ve grown. Most of the office staff are in jeans or khakis, with the occasional sports coat, etc if there’s a meeting or event to attend. People seem to dig the flexibility, so I don’t see a need to change things.

I haven’t worn a suit more than 2-3x per yr (if that) since 2009, so the only suits I’ll buy now have to do double duty (can be worn as a sports coat, etc), which means no conservative business dress worsteds in favor of more ‘casual’ fabrics (woolens, corduroy, most recently a great navy whipcord). But even those purchases / commissions are few and far between (perhaps 1x / yr, where I used to buy 4-5 suits a yr when I was still working in the salt mines of Wall Street).

Sometimes I miss dressing up, but mostly I’m glad I get to wear jeans whenever I want.

Last edited:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
large amlaw 100 firm in DC

other than folks with client meetings or going to court, we have also embraced dressing for the day. pre-covid most of the older partner generation dressed in golf attire (particularly in hot summer) and blazer/button downs but rarely with ties in fall/winter. the younger folks were always business casual

now everything is out the window with everyone going very casual with even partners wearing denim and sneakers. if you do come in more "dressed up", the assumption is you have a client facing meeting

malat

Reaction score

I am heading to the office a few days a week. I am mostly suited (jackets, sweaters, proper trousers, no tie though) and booted and it feels so good to be back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads