• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk if you have the 1953 bits or not but would like a side by side view of both if you do.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else think that pic of the castaners sole above was a close up of a guy flashing his nuts?

I scrolled away quickly thinking I'd been had.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a review of the aurlands in a similar way to thuya/Michaels? I get a lot of sizing questions on them too, and see some misinformation about their casualness.

If so, what loafer would you like me to compare them to?
I mean, you can compare to more structured loafers from English or US makers, but it's a little bit like comparing Chuck Taylors to Jordan Vs - they're both sneakers but so different. Maybe that's the point? Highlighting the differences to get a better understanding of what makes the Aurlands what they are. I think it's fair to say that Aurlands are somewhere in between a structured GYW loafer you'd get from Northampton and a Castaner loafspadrille ?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9sPJYO2.jpg

Worth getting these castaners repaired, or should I just buy a new pair? Wore these pretty hard last summer and the lining somehow tore :oops:
I'd get the opinion of a shoe repair guy to see if there's even something to be done about that. I know it's too late for this piece of advice, but it might have been better to spot the first signs of tearing and have that repaired before it got to that point?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I view espadrilles as disposable. I am hard on mine (wear them nearly every day during the summer), so I don't expect them to last much more than a season.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk if you have the 1953 bits or not but would like a side by side view of both if you do.

1953 bits? Is this a reference to the old man balls in the Castaner photo?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do! Great idea since they're more similar.

I mean, you can compare to more structured loafers from English or US makers, but it's a little bit like comparing Chuck Taylors to Jordan Vs - they're both sneakers but so different. Maybe that's the point? Highlighting the differences to get a better understanding of what makes the Aurlands what they are. I think it's fair to say that Aurlands are somewhere in between a structured GYW loafer you'd get from Northampton and a Castaner loafspadrille ?

Exactly. Not sure if you saw my second post about it, but just people asking for a comparison to structured dress loafers means they don't really understand what aurlands are.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People asking for a comparison to structured dress loafers means they don't really understand what aurlands are.

I thumbed the suggestion to compare w Alden LHS to understand the fit really (esp. for those of us with wide feet and high insteps).

I for one am intrigued by Aurlands but haven't really figured them out. Know you are going to do your usual great job of explaining.

Don't remember seeing them explained by the team in a Friday IG video. Did I miss that?

Trayco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thumbed the suggestion to compare w Alden LHS to understand the fit really (esp. for those of us with wide feet and high insteps).

I for one am intrigued by Aurlands but haven't really figured them out. Know you are going to do your usual great job of explaining.

Don't remember seeing them explained by the team in a Friday IG video. Did I miss that?
I don’t have similar shoes to compare but I went with 44. I am a 42 in CPs and 9 in Viberg.
They fit snug but are super soft since they are not structured. I have wide feet and they feel ok. Need some more break in but initally they feel really good and the correct size. I could not fit my hooves into a 43.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just throw mine away and get new ones. I think they are meant to be borderline-disposable.

That pic is gross by the way. At first I thought it was a worn codpiece with someone's nutsack poking though.... Okay, back to enjoying your breakfasts now folks! :bounce2:

Glad I’m not the only one who thought this was a shriveled pair of balls
Did anyone else think that pic of the castaners sole above was a close up of a guy flashing his nuts?

I scrolled away quickly thinking I'd been had.

You are not alone..... I saw quickly scrolled away, then saw other posts.

I've been wearing the DBF linen shorts since I got them. Very nice.

I hope you have let them air out at least a bit...... ;)

OK, serious question, well as serious as clothing can be:
@gdl203 @conceptual 4est or anyone else, if I missed it. When might we see spring Rota drop?

I received my pre-order, but want to see what No Man is stocking.

kaizerpi

Reaction score
I view Aurlands as just nice loafers that you can decide to wear with jeans, chinos, maybe some more casual suits, and even with shorts w/o socks. Just really flexible, nice loafers.

Yikes on the castaners above, though. I think just at that price point, knowing a pair of shoes is 'disposable' make me really nervous/guilty.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aurland is Yourland - Aurlands Unlined Loafers Review

I've gotten a lot of questions about these loagers over the past few months, so I thought I would centralize the info here.

STYLING
These are a cool loager for loafing around, chillin', hangin', vibin', and generally not being anywhere near a non-casual suit. I personally really like them, and to me they are most similar in vibe to an Alden unlined LHS (absolutely not lined) or maybe even a penny loafer from Rancourt or something.

What these are: cool casual unlined loafers in thick but pliable leather, with a soft, slightly squared-off toe. They are purposefully a bit rugged and look great with jeans, casual trousers, shorts, and other things that go with unlined loagers.

What these are not: replacements for structured or dress loafers that will take you from the boardroom to the bar. Don't expect these to compete with any kind of refined footwear from the British heavy hitters or the American classics. These aren't quite "wear to the beach loafers", but they're much closer to that than the other side of the spectrum.

SIZING
I'm a 10.5D brannock, with a low instep and a pretty average width. I would say that I have all the other traditional hallmarks for sizing - 10D van/barrie, 10.5 Aberdeen, 43 common projects achilles, 42.5/43 in Buttero, 11 or 11.5 in sneakers. I grabbed these in a 44 and they fit really well. The leather is particularly kind, and they really break in beautifully.

LEATHER & CONSTRUCTION
This is some beefy and hearty nappa leather. As you can see in the photos, it's fully one piece with no lining (except for toe reinforcement) and is like twice as thick as the Alden LHS unlined suede. The roughout side on the inside is super comfortable for my toesies and the leather insole grabs my feet well when going barefoot. I love the hand-stitched, true-handsewn construction. You can see the two thick leather pieces coming together.

SOLE
The leather sole is a good thickness - not too flimsy and not so hearty that it feels like walking on bricks. The Blake construction is hearty and is also very light. Wouldn't hesitate to take these out on a nice city walk right away.

PHOTOS

Comparison for other black loagers.

Left to right: Aurlands (44), ALD (9.5), Alden LHS unlined (10D), 987s (10D), Gucci 1953 (9.5)

20210413_152359.jpg

20210413_152453.jpg

20210413_152513.jpg

20210413_152419.jpg

Some individual photos:
20210413_152601.jpg

20210413_152624.jpg

In comparison with the LHS:
20210413_092758.jpg

20210413_092834.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else you guys want to know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads