• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this St.Andrew suit?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suits is Saint Andrews. However, not all PL clothing is Saint Andrews. The jackets with the non-working sleeve buttons are made by Cantarelli, and are priced accordingly; between $1500 and $2000. They don't make PL suits, only sportcoats.

The Saint Andrews stuff is entirely hand made; Cantarelli doesn't have that level of handwork.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That suits is Saint Andrews. However, not all PL clothing is Saint Andrews. The jackets with the non-working sleeve buttons are made by Cantarelli, and are priced accordingly; between $1500 and $2000. They don't make PL suits, only sportcoats.

The Saint Andrews stuff is entirely hand made; Cantarelli doesn't have that level of handwork.
Cantarelli and St. Andrews is the same company, right?

Jon.

lisapop

Reaction score
St. Andrews is owned by Cantarelli. If you can spring for it, SA is the better way to go between the two. Very high quality.
Grayson

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by the suit's measurment, the suit may have come from an athletic. Too bad .. The suit's chest is too big for me.
sad.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cantarelli and St. Andrews is the same company, right?

Jon.
Yes, but don't confuse ownership with quality. Clothes made under the Saint Andrews label has significantly more handwork. This should be evident by just looking at the garment. Clothes made by Cantarelli, while high quality, don't come close the what goes into Saint Andrews.

Saint Andrews uses horsehair canvas, and the lapels are hand stitched/rolled (one of only few makers that do this). Cantarelli uses fusing to some degree (which doesn't equal low quality, I mean... even Brioni has some degree of fusing); it also has more machine work, particularly on the canvas front.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cantarelli uses fusing to some degree (which doesn't equal low quality, I mean... even Brioni has some degree of fusing); it also has more machine work, particularly on the canvas front.
What are you talking about???...

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About both Cantarelli and Brioni, but mainly the latter. I'm not sure whether Cantarelli produces some fused products, but I know that the Golden Fleece they produce have no fusing.

And I'm quite certain Brioni uses no fusing -- head up to Neiman Marcus in Boston for a first hand look (they have a sweet basted Brioni coat on a tailor's form -- you can see the canvassing and their incredible pad stitching).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About both Cantarelli and Brioni, but mainly the latter. I'm not sure whether Cantarelli produces some fused products, but I know that the Golden Fleece they produce have no fusing.

And I'm quite certain Brioni uses no fusing -- head up to Neiman Marcus in Boston for a first hand look (they have a sweet basted Brioni coat on a tailor's form -- you can see the canvassing and their incredible pad stitching).
How do you know for sure? You can't tell by just looking, and a "pinch test" will tell you nothing.

By fusing, I'm not talking about the chest. Brioni, RL, Cantarelli, etc... have no fusing in the chest, they are fully canvassed in the chest. Thus will qualify as a "canvassed suit." Brioni, RLPL, Oxxford, Kiton are hand canvassed, lesser priced ones are machine canvassed.

All manufacturers use *some* degree of fusing (Kiton is entirely hand made). However, on Brioni or Cantarelli, it's so insignificant that it doesn't really matter, and in places that you couldn't even tell.

On Cantarelli, RL, Zegna, etc... (suits priced from $1K to $2K), moderate fusing is used in the collar, and mostly in areas below the bottom button of the coat. Thus I said "some fusing." Again, it is pretty insignificant. If I didn't tell you this, you wouldn't even know. If you had a better trained eye, you could tell in areas below the first button.

BB Golden Fleece, while a very high quality suit, isn't entirely hand made. They would literally loose money for retailing a suit at that price if it was 100% hand made/hand stitched.

To clear things up, Brioni uses an absurd amount of handwork. I haven't seen it talked about accurately on this board, as to what it is in real life. The amount of hours that go into each coat, are the highest in the industry, next to Kiton. However, there is a bit of fusing in the collar; which doesn't make a difference.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, a suit doesn't have to be 100% handmade in order to have no fusing. A sewing machine will stitch in canvas just as well as a hand, which is why a fully canvassed suit can be priced at under $1200. If you'd like to cut open a Brioni and show me the fusing in the collar, I'm all eyes. Until then, I see this thread as doing little more than spreading misinformation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads