• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First bespoke shoe? What to get?

jamaican

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have in mind to make the transition from MTO/RTW to bespoke in the coming months but am not sure what type (not make but type; Adelaide, or semi- brogue or what) of shoe to get... perhaps this is too wide a brief, if so please, I beg you, indulge me or add some refinement... perhaps it has been previously considered; please redirect me: the question is for a first bespoke shoe, what would you suggest?

I have a list of oxfords that I'd like and examples of shoes in mind, but I wonder if you learned gentlemen could suggest a type of shoe that is advisable.

Perhaps there are technical matters to be considered: For example, my cutter (I can say that in this forum and sound perfectly reasonable) explained that when making my first bespoke suit, the first one was a "prototype"... far better than an off the rack or MTM, but still shy of the ultimate cut he would undertake for me. The second would be better and by the third suit he would have pretty much nailed the cut. Is it the same for bespoke shoes?

Perhaps I should merely observe some ancient rules of building a wardrobe... perhaps I should just break some rules, or maybe I should fill in my immature shoe collection with RTW/MTOs and then get the bespoke stuff later. (I actually have in mind to add to bespoke and MTO shoe collections at the same time.)

In terms of makers I have in mind Gaziano & Girling (I have a decent relationship with them from thei MTO offerings already and trust them); Fosters or Cleverley. Mr Gomez is unlikely, as I live in London and I'd like to suppot British shoe-makers at least until I have knowledge enough to know what I like and don't like in terms of the world of bespoke.

I look forward to your thoughts. J

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling RJManton.com...I recently went through the same thought process that you are going through for my 1st bespoke order. As of now it is an oxford in black calf with a simulated cap, but I have the ability to change the order at the fitting next month. As you say, there are two ways to go - classic or fantasy. I chose classic because I cannot find a RTW oxford in a last that I like that fits correctly in my true size (I have a high instep) so I don't have any proper shoes for suits (almost all derbys).

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Def. go classic on your first shoe. Save the funky stuff for later, once you have the basics in bespoke well covered.

I suggest a dark brown oxford with a punched captoe.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Def. go classic on your first shoe. Save the funky stuff for later, once you have the basics in bespoke well covered.

I suggest a dark brown oxford with a punched captoe.

I can't argue with that.

XdryMartini

Reaction score
In addition to the above recommendations, I would suggest something that you would keep in a normal rotation and would get a great deal of wear. It will undoubtably be your most comfortable shoe, so should also be the most versatile.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My first pair were black semi-brogues. If I had it do over again, I would get black stitch caps.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would you mind giving a short overview, what's already in your closet/rotation?

I agree, with the prototype statement. It is similar with shoes.

Hopefully luk-cha san is chiming in. He is familiar with G&G and visited the others mentioned recently.
He is already on the bespoke route with Mr. Gaziano and Mr. Girling, but he is also crazy for the Vass like stuff, with several pairs, delivered and in progress. My bet would be, that he can be helpful with your demands.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you have the means and the intention to continue buying bespoke shoes over the long run, get the crazy stuff out of your system. That way your later orders can focus on more classic models. Otherwise you'll keep second-guessing yourself.

jamaican

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Would you mind giving a short overview, what's already in your closet/rotation?

I have a very immature wardrobe:

Black crockett & Jones clifford and tavistock. I will get the cap toe oxford soon to complete the work rotation. The C&J stuff is strictly for work. (I wont wear bespoke shoe sto work until I am the boss.)

J M Weston Chelsea in chocolate, double monk jodhpur in tan, wingtip black brogue

Gaziano & Girling Hove in vintage maple , Rothschild in vintage pine, Hughes (modified) in vintage cherry (on order), Thorpe country boot in arran highland garain (like the catalogue pics), Cannes loafer on mahogany (maroon/brown) highland grain.

Plus some driving shoes and trainer shoes etc that dont merit mention in such esteemed company.

TKDKid

Reaction score
If you're going with G&G, I like the look of these:

BespokeAdelaide.jpg

I've been thinking for a while that such a model could be made up as a wholecut, with imitation brogueing and seams for the design and the actual seam disguised as part of the heel counter on the inside.

(I like wholecuts and adelaides, so...)

Pengranger

Reaction score
Personally, if I was going bespoke (I should be so lucky), it would have to be something avantgarde, or to get the perfect fit.

Fortunately I don't have too much trouble with fit, so I would have to go with a design which was distinctive and personal. Maybe I'm a cheap skate, but if I can get the "look" for the right price, be it OTR Lobb, Church's, Cheaney, C&J etc I'll go for that. I wear shoes that get noticed - a bespoke pair of black caps or wing tips may just have to be your little secret!

the.chikor

Reaction score
I would think - buy according to their intended use. If the shoes are intended for business- you may want to start with a classic look. If it if for a more casual use-then go ahead be a little more liberal with the color or design.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
go with something classic so you can get plenty of use out of it. That's the way to get value for money IMO.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or classic with a twist (e.g. a bi-material suede/calf).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads