• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ticket Pocket?

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
After shabbat services, during the kiddush last Friday night, I was approached by one of my younger congregants who has historically demonstrated more than the average fashion sense for the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I was wearing a blue and black tweed sport coat with a very subtle tan windowpane, double vented, that I had made up for me when I lived in LA.

She pointed at the second pocket on the lower right hand side of my coat and said, What's the second pocket for? I said, It's called a "ticket pocket" and demonstrated that it was functional and not merely decorative. She asked why it was there and I said that since tweeds were a country styling, and not traditionally worn in the city, one had to have a pocket for one's train ticket. Hence the long(er) and narrow(er) pocket for same.

Was I right, or just being horribly pretentious?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The origin of the ticket pocket was for railway tickets, but not originally for country wear. So you were half right. It was later adapted into country wear, however.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
smile.gif
You can have a ticket pocket on a "city" suit. Generally, it is an informal element, and you wouldn't have it on a dressy suit or a morning coat. In fact, besom pockets without flaps are the most formal. Certain country clothing, such as the Norfolk jacket, have large pockets to accomodate shells and other necessities in the field.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The origin of the ticket pocket was for railway tickets, but not originally for country wear. So you were half right. It was later adapted into country wear, however.
What's your source on this?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(j @ 08 Dec. 2004, 12:09) The origin of the ticket pocket was for railway tickets, but not originally for country wear. So you were half right. It was later adapted into country wear, however.
What's your source on this?
It was in one of the books I have read, probably An Illustrated History of Men's Fashion. I can't remember which book, but I distinctly remember reading that the pockets appeared first on city suits worn by men riding the railway. I'll dig the book out and see if I can find it, when I get a chance.

ViroBono

Reaction score
My tailor told me that ticket pockets originated in Victorian times, and provided a place from which the ticket could be produced for inspection with minimal fuss and derangement of the clothing.   Previously many gentlemen carried their tickets in their waistcoat pockets. The railway system extended to almost every small village, so ticket pockets would rapidly have spread to every style of clothing.

Ticket pockets are also popular on bespoke blazers, and may also be seen on some RTW.  I have ticket pockets on my blue blazer, on my boating blazer, on my sports jacket and on several suits.  I also have one on my covert coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads