• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe places like SF succeed to the extent to which they provide information that helps people make better decisions. With regards to clothing, pictures and customer services experiences can go a long way in the decision process.

I hope this thread goes a long way in conveying to prospective Rubinacci customers his house style and the level of customer service. It should serve as a house for all member experiences and pictures (good and bad). It would be my hope that over time we would have similar threads for all the bespoke makers. Today it seems the information is available but it takes significant searching to get to it.

I made my own decision to use Rubinacci in large part because of Matt photos on this site and his goodwill with sharing his experiences with me. I hope that this thread and others with it allow those with aspirations of going the bespoke route all the information they need to make the best decision for themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as my own experience I'll I can say is that I'm very pleased. My first meeting was with Mariano in London over the New Years holiday. I think one of the advantages of using Rubinacci is that its a family run business. In most cases your working with the man himself. We talked about a half hour before discussing clothing, a nice change of pace from what I have been accustomed to. I felt very comfortable letting go with what I had in mind in terms of cut and styling and let him direct me, I think its the first time in my life that I've felt ok doing this. Even at Charvet I had reservations about suggestions, not with Mariano. Anyway I ended up places an order for the solid gray DB, pictured below, and two jackets both in heavy tweeds.

The first fitting was about two months later in New York, again with Mariano. The garments at this stage are in rudimentary form, baste, etc. He was not pleased with the shoulder of the DB and made significant notes and asked a multitude of questions about fit, etc. We scheduled a follow up fitting in London in May.

My second fitting was with his daughter who like her father was a pleasure to deal with. At this stage the garments were put together save for the button holes and inner lining. She made several minor edits to all three garments and notified me that they would be complete by the end of the month and ready for pick up in NYC.

Well as my job would have it I was not able to pick them up but they shipped them anyway, the entire process conducted via email was smooth and went off without a hitch.

I look foward to hearing comments from you guys but from my limited experience the garments fit me better than anything I've ever owned. I think one of the things that struck me was how Italian the garment is, its very stylish from the buttons to the famous breast pocket to the shape of the chest and shoulders. Its almost anti-english except for the fabrics.

I'll attach more pictures this evening and when I have time I'll put together some pics with the other two jackets as well. I hope you enjoy.

kcc

Reaction score
Whnay,

Thanks for posting the image. I can tell the suit has all the hallmarks of exceptional tailoring.

As well, your comments are very insightful providing more information of what a perspective client may expect from the process. I suspect customers may benefit tremendously from visiting either of London House's boutiques. Notwithstanding Mr Rubinacci's expertise, a personal visit will afford customers the keen eye of his tailor.

Thank you for sharing.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is an excellent idea, particularly given the rapidly escalating number of Rubinacci clients on the forum. I'm sad I didn't come up with the idea myself.

First of all, from what I can tell, the jacket of your DB suit looks great. The angle of the photo shows off the chest shaping nicely. After having some time to enjoy my own jackets from Rubinacci, I think the chest treatment is my single favorite feature. The shoulders are very nice, of course, but you see can see rounded shoulders on all sorts of high-end RTW these days.

I'm glad that you had a good experience dealing with Mariano and his daughter. It would be a shame for anyone to presume that only certain clients get to deal with the man himself--I've actually found it incredibly easy to access to him and pick his brain. The experience and product would not be half of what they are without him.

We all owe thanks to Matt (he who is). As with you, he was incredibly generous with his time and insight in guiding me through the decision process. His photos, of course, were inspiring. Going to Naples was a big deal for me, and not particularly convenient. I'm skeptical of whether I would have taken the journey without significant handholding. Hopefully, if nothing else, this thread will reduce the cumbersome number of PMs Matt gets about Rubinacci!

Now, let's see some more pictures!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I too agree that this thread is a good idea, and glad that you have been happy with your experience with MR. A couple of straight-shot pics would be helpful in checking out the fit and styling of the garment.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an excellent idea to have central thread for all things Rubinacci. And a wonderful post. Is the price the same across all locations, whether it's London, Napoli or NYC touring? I assume NYC pickup will be sans VAT but with duty?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Is the price the same across all locations, whether it's London, Napoli or NYC touring? I assume NYC pickup will be sans VAT but with duty?

Yes and yes.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what is the pricepoint, approximately?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very nice fit. If you wore glasses, we could be twins.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The price points at the London location are as follows:

All in GBP inclusive of VAT:

Suit: 2800
Jacket: 2000
Pants: 800
Shirts: 300
Ties: 125

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bellisimo, but I'm not ready for a $4,000 sport jacket, yet.
eh.gif

Senior year my friend bought a new VW Bug convertible for $2,000
frown.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
The price points at the London location are as follows:

All in GBP inclusive of VAT:

Suit: 2800
Jacket: 2000
Pants: 800
Shirts: 300
Ties: 125

whnay - are you sure?

If these prices are true, then London is considerably cheaper than Naples (which is very odd). I was quoted a starting price in Naples of 4,200 euros. 2,800 GBP is approx. 3,500 euros.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Didn't know they were making VW's back in '57.

Started in the 30s. Volkswagen means "people's car" and the idea originated from Hitler (I think).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads