• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questioning Fit of this suit...

Bob01

Reaction score
I picked up the first suit & shirts from the Fabric Market in Shanghai today. I think the shirts turned out ok, however the suit Im not sure of... The pants seem to fit ok, but the jacket shoulders seem off? Below are some pictures of the Suit & and a shirt picked up today - Looking for comments about the fit, and anything else you want to say about it....

The images may take a bit to load...sorry, slow server....

Same Suit...Pictures taken with and without flash

Front of suit
Suit_Front.jpg

Side and Back of Suit
Side+Back.jpg

Shirt and Pants
Shirt+Pants.jpg

Pattern of Suit...coin is about size of a quarter...color is off in photo...fabric is a dark navy
Pattern.jpg

Looking at the pictures now...Hopefully not offending anyone with the back of the suit and shirt a bit wrinkly - just got back from carrying them around for a few hours ;-)

This suit was under $100 bucks, so Im not expecting Saville Row, so mostly interested in comments about general fit, so I can tell the tailor what to do next time...

If any other pictures are needed, just let me know :)

On a Side note, how would one go about fixing loose threads? Looks hard to knot them, would I use a lighter (assuming the thread is synthetic..probably is) and melt the ends, just cut them and hope they dont continue growing?

163_Suit_Loose_Threads.jpg

Thanks!,

Bob

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the jacket sleeves and shirt sleeves are a bit too long, by 1/2" or so.

On your next one i would bring the shoulder dimension in, they stick out about 1/4" to 1/2" on each side from what i see.

they shouldnt stick out past the side of your shoulder, nore should they let the shoulder protrude into the sleeve of the jacket, alot.

I think that is also why its making that fold near your armpit on the back of the jacket.
I would have them bring the waist in more, so it isnt baggy at the back of the jacket.

the pants seem a bit too long, i'm not much for the flood pants i see on this board alot, but a light break looks better to me then a heavy break, easy to change.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That really isn't too bad at all for $100!

Jacket shoulders are a bit too wide. I personally think that there's sufficient waist suppression, but that really is a matter of personal preference.

The shirt and jacket sleeves do need shortening, perhaps by 1/2" or so.

Given your build, you might consider narrowing the sleeves of the jacket ever so slightly so that your arms seem a little slimmer.

Bob01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
How about those shoes?
smile.gif

1 Year old Aldos - not cared for properly (obviously) - $70 USD Yeah...one step at a time for me *PUN not intended*..I just recently started to pay attention to what I was wearing...Sometime soon I'll probably open Pandora's box, and start looking at shoes ;-) However, if you feel so inclined, if you can post pictures of what shoes would go with this suit - I'd be grateful :)
Originally Posted by Fishball
not bad for $100.
Yeah :) - you can see more information about the tailors/options in Shanghai at this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=66407
Originally Posted by academe
That really isn't too bad at all for $100! .... The shirt and jacket sleeves do need shortening, perhaps by 1/2" or so. ....
Jacket Cuffs should end right at the mid point of the wrist bone right? - thought it was a bit long, but didn't think much of it since a little less than .25" of the shirt sleeve showed...;-) I've heard varying information about shirt sleeve length though...from at the beginning of the palm, to slightly into the palm? A General Question to about cotton - Assuming a relatively good cotton material (say 120 thread, not egyptian, or whatever the high level stuff is) - how much is it for assuming...1.5 square meters (however much it takes to make a shirt)?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For $100 I'd say you did damned well.

You really can't expect great construction for that price, so the loose threads and less-than-stellar finishing on the suit buttons are to be expected. Not much you can do about that, other than snip the loose ends as closely as you can.

Tough to be sure on the shirt since it's pretty wrinkled, but there are a few observations - first, the sleeves are too long and also too roomy, particularly at your wrist. Trim them down a good bit. There should also be no reason for the second shirt sleeve cuff button on a custom shirt - the only button necessary is the one tailored to your specifications. I'd trim the whole body up a bit, too. The shoulders are about 1/2" wide on each side - see how they fall off the end of your shoulder? (A bit tough to tell if your right shoulder is slightly drooped also. It looks consistently drooped even in the suit photos, but it may be the door frame in the background playing tricks on my eye.) Also trim the body up a bit - the sides can be taken in easily 1 inch on each side for a trimmer, less frumpy look. I think a close fit is especially important since the fabric looks a little on the thin side. You might consider slightly longer collar points, but that is a style/preference issue.

The suit looks pretty good as well - I would pull the shoulders in a touch and definitely make the sleeves narrower, as on the shirts. Sleeves could be a touch shorter as well.

I've seen a bunch of cheap Chinese and Indian-made suits that look as though they were made in 2 dimensions like paper doll clothes. The tailors had no suit construction skills, just some old photos from a magazine and the knowledge of how to use a sewine machine. Your tailor clearly has some working knowledge of how to put a suit together.

Check out this thread to see how badly you can go wrong at about $200. With disasters like that in mind, at your price point, you did extremely well. It could use some work, but it is perfectly acceptable to wear as-is, IMHO. And with the right modifications, it would really be great.

DandySF

Reaction score
The issue that stands out for me is the fullness and lack of shape in the jacket sleeves. It looks like they are about 25-50% too full. This is something that can be corrected by a local tailor.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others said just a slight bit in on the shoulders for future orders, but overall very good for 100 dollars.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That really isn't too bad at all for $100!

Jacket shoulders are a bit too wide. I personally think that there's sufficient waist suppression, but that really is a matter of personal preference.

The shirt and jacket sleeves do need shortening, perhaps by 1/2" or so.

Given your build, you might consider narrowing the sleeves of the jacket ever so slightly so that your arms seem a little slimmer.

Is there another method for removing the bagginess on the jacket besides pulling the sides in....it is double vented.

I've recently had this done on two jackets, one double vents, the other ventless.

being a skinny guy, its almost mandatory on every jacket i buy.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have already pointed out, what jumps out at me the most is the length and bagginess; particularly of the shirt. There's also a bit too much break in the pants. I like a bit of break and have my pants end about halfway between the top of my shoes and the top of the heel. Your pants are pooling way too much on your shoes IMO. Cheap, easy fix though.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
Jacket Cuffs should end right at the mid point of the wrist bone right? - thought it was a bit long, but didn't think much of it since a little less than .25" of the shirt sleeve showed...;-)
I like to have between 1/4" and 1/2" of shirt cuff showing. It's probably more of a personal choice, although your jacket sleeves do look a little long.
Originally Posted by Bob01
I've heard varying information about shirt sleeve length though...from at the beginning of the palm, to slightly into the palm?
I usually shorten my shirt sleeves to the wrist, or the point where the wrist and palm meet. I don't like having my shirt sleeves touching my palm itself, because I find that my shirt tends to get stained when I write with fountain pens, chalk, soup, etc. I'm a bit clumsy sometimes! Really, the changes you're going to have to make are relatively minor. I think this is a really good first MTM suit and at an excellent price. +1 to new shoes!!!

Enfo

Reaction score
That suit looks very good for $100. Sleeves might be a little long, but it could be the shirt throwing me off. The shirt, I dont like. The sleeves are long and wide, the sides have too much fabric, and it doesnt fit. The suit however is pretty good... even with those buttons. That's a small problem you can fix yourself. You did good.

literasyme

Reaction score
I don't like having my shirt sleeves touching my palm itself, because I find that my shirt tends to get stained when I write with fountain pens, chalk, soup, etc. I'm a bit clumsy sometimes!
Don't be too hard on yourself. Most people have trouble writing with soup. I, too, prefer stew.

The suit fits remarkably well considering how cheap it was. I agree with the merging consensus re. the sleeves and the shoulders, and am also wondering if the jacket, on your next order, should maybe be just a little bit longer. But this certainly fits better than most suits you could buy RTW. Well done!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads