• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic car to race

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a classic sports car to race at historic meetings. My initial thought is along E type lines. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are some models easier to repair, safer, faster, cheaper, more reliable? I am talking about European races here.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Porsche 356 Speedster or a Jaguar XK140 Roadster?

Jon.

I second the 356, I may be wrong, but they should be comparable in price to the E-type....but you can't wrong with an E-type either.

Reliabilty might be an issue on both, but they are definately some of the sexiest cars of the past.

fox81

Reaction score
Something affordable and italian. Alfa 105 GTV, Lancia Fulvia (HF if you want to race it).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I second the 356, I may be wrong, but they should be comparable in price to the E-type....but you can't wrong with an E-type either.

Reliabilty might be an issue on both, but they are definately some of the sexiest cars of the past.

The reason I thought of those cars is because they are the lightest versions of both of those body types. If he can find an XK140 with a C-Type engine, it should be good for 210 bhp.

Jon.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason I thought of those cars is because they are the lightest versions of both of those body types. If he can find an XK140 with a C-Type engine, it should be good for 210 bhp.

Jon.

I didn't think of that, especially the XK140....if he can find a place that continously stocks parts he shouldn't have many problems.

I'm also interested to know what the competion might be driving, would he be competing against MG's, AC's, Triumphs, and such.....because if so, and E-type might be overkill (especially in V-12 form).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I didn't think of that, especially the XK140....if he can find a place that continously stocks parts he shouldn't have many problems.

I'm also interested to know what the competion might be driving, would he be competing against MG's, AC's, Triumphs, and such.....because if so, and E-type might be overkill (especially in V-12 form).

I wonder how much more gas and how much more a V12 E-type uses / weighs vs. the V8 E-Type (yes, I could look it up, but I'm lazy). You are entirely correct that the type of race is an important factor in choosing the right car, unless it's a free-for-all historic race series.

Jon.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much more gas and how much more a V12 E-type uses / weighs vs. the V8 E-Type (yes, I could look it up, but I'm lazy). You are entirely correct that the type of race is an important factor in choosing the right car, unless it's a free-for-all historic race series. Jon.
Actually, you can't look that up. Jaguar never put a V8 in an E-type. Jaguar was never very fond of 8's back in the day. ~ Huntsman

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Actually, you can't look that up. Jaguar never put a V8 in an E-type. Jaguar was never very fond of 8's back in the day.

~ Huntsman

You are absolutely right, I must have been thinking about the XKR V8 for some reason. What I should have written was 6 vs 12.

Jon.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pedantic about old Jags. My understanding is that most purists claim the move from the I6 to the V12 spoiled the balance and the performance. But the claimed performance was never reality, either. Though, I'm pretty sure the V12 barely managed 10 mpg....pretty much everything is an improvement on that. Regardless, I'd still buy a Series III/V12 car if I could. Nothing like a 12.

~ Huntsman

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I'm pedantic about old Jags. My understanding is that most purists claim the move from the I6 to the V12 spoiled the balance and the performance. But the claimed performance was never reality, either. Though, I'm pretty sure the V12 barely managed 10 mpg....pretty much everything is an improvement on that. Regardless, I'd still buy a Series III/V12 car if I could. Nothing like a 12.

~ Huntsman

Yes and no. My dad used to have an S600 coupe and frankly couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Jon.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bounce2.gif

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is from Ralph Laurens own collection, he must be making some profit of these poloshirts he is selling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads