• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emling shoes

montmorency

Reaction score
I looked at emling's website, having seen the link in the rate my shoes thread today. The shoes at emling seem to be very nice. I will be in Paris in a month; I was wondering if anyone knows the price range for emling shoes.

il vecchio

Reaction score
Quality can be a bit iffy. Not expensive and good enough value for what they are. My recollection is they are around 120 to 200 euros. Hope I am recalling correctly.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Since 2003 or so uber dandy Marc Guyot has been styling them, AFAIK. That doesn´t answer montmorency´s question of course, but I thought I might add a bit of extra information. Also visit the Loding store. I´m not sure if it still exists, because their website has been down for about a year now (www.loding.fr). But if you like the style of Emling, you might probably get lucky there for even less bucks. But I have to admit that I have no first hand experience, so I can´t vouch for the quality of either operation.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 or 4 pairs of Emling shoes (bought in Paris from 1998 to 2004). Some of their styles are really great and not necessarily a copy of Weston and Lobb styles. They're Goodyear welted and age fairly well. The best feature of the Emiling shoes I have (after styling) is their leather - they use very good, supple calf leather. Far superior to the lower end Loake (or whoever makes them) sold by Tyrwhitt or Lewin.

I always waited for their semi-annual sales to buy shoes there so I'm not 100% sure of pricing (haven't shopped there for a few years now) but I think it was around 200 euros

montmorency

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccffm1
Since 2003 or so uber dandy Marc Guyot has been styling them, AFAIK. That doesn´t answer montmorency´s question of course, but I thought I might add a bit of extra information.
Also visit the Loding store. I´m not sure if it still exists, because their website has been down for about a year now (www.loding.fr). But if you like the style of Emling, you might probably get lucky there for even less bucks. But I have to admit that I have no first hand experience, so I can´t vouch for the quality of either operation.

I have a pair of Loding shoes. They used to carry a larger selection of models than they do now. I like my Loding shoes, but the leather is a bit stiff and the stitching on the apron is not the finest. From the looks of the website, Emling shoes seem to be a rung or two higher on the scale. I'm going to try to check them out and if I do, I'll post my thoughts.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Montmorency, thank you for the insight.

Has anyone checked out the Finsbury site? Some styles look rather nice. The address is www.finsbury-shoes.com.

Duveen

Reaction score
Finsbury, Loding, Bowen and Bexley are all questionable quality IMHO. Emling is a rung higher - visited their store and thought seriously about a few. They are a bit better than the other French brands. The advantage of the French stuff (if you are there) is that you can get welted shoes in a variety of styles. But the leather is the thing that suffers most in the lower-end lines, and it shows.

For the record, I would NOT recommend ordering them online as a 'cheap option'. You are better off getting Sargents @ Lands End so that you can return them.

My .02

lambert

Reaction score
Loding shoes are not that bad; they are honest quality shoes for the price (130 euros).
Bowen was also a good brand; now the quality is more questionable but still acceptable.

Emling is a bit higher, also in prices. Retail prices go from 200 (I think) to 300 (or 350?) euros. So it's a good bargain only during the sales. They are made in Portugal and maybe in other places, and now (nicely) designed by Marc Guyot.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lambert
Loding shoes are not that bad; they are honest quality shoes for the price (130 euros).
Bowen was also a good brand; now the quality is more questionable but still acceptable.

Emling is a bit higher, also in prices. Retail prices go from 200 (I think) to 300 (or 350?) euros. So it's a good bargain only during the sales. They are made in Portugal and maybe in other places, and now (nicely) designed by Marc Guyot.

I have a pair of Loding wholecuts, snazzy and good value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics