• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks for jeans

Tater_Salad

Reaction score
What color socks would be most appropriate for jeans, especially when wearing either a casual loafer or a sneaker-type shoe? Also, any recommendations would be accepted
biggrin.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I always wear white, unless the shoes I'm wearing are black, in which case I'll wear black.
smile.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i saw some bright red cashmere socks at nordstrom a couple weeks ago. they would look smashing. they felt like butter, too.

unfortunately they cost about $50 or so for 1 pair, and they probably wear out or stretch something horrible.

/andrew - totally unhelpful

aybojs

Reaction score
If you're playing it safe, just get a few basic light and dark colors. Tan and cream would be a good alternative to white athletic socks, and for darker shoes you could go with charcoal or black.

When I like to be a little more adventurous and I some color: lilac, purple, light green, and light blue, and some patterened socks work well. If you scour eBay or Marshall's/TJ Maxx you can get some decent options in socks without blowing too much. I don't worry about having a certain brand or a lux fabric because I go through them so fast anyway.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have some black cashmere socks that were on sale from somewhere near $50 and they have held up well even through the washer and dryer. I am totally careless with socks. I have some grey socks I sometimes use with jeans but the ones I use most often are army surplus boot socks, above the calf style, black wool/nylon/cotton blend. They were about $7/3pair or something ridiculous and they have held up great, don't fade much at all, are very comfortable (light padding on bottom) and keep your feet dry and happy. They breathe unlike cotton socks that soak up moisture and clam up your feet. They look fine with most shoes except light colored ones. And work well with boots, obviously. Check Sportsmens Guidefor them if you are interested.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm not sure about black socks with jeans (well, unless they're black). With jeans I usually wear navy crew socks (Polo, J Crew, Old Navy). Some have faded a bit, which actually matches the jeans better.

I do think that jeans give you a chance to have some fun with socks. They are just jeans after all.

Phil

Reaction score
jcrew makes nice casual socks, in all kinds of colors. I prefer argyle with jeans. Id have to disagree with most however, I think white socks should be worn only when playing a sport or jogging, or perhaps only with sneakers. Or if you are 60, badly dressed, and hail from one of the midwest states that seem so fond of white socks with everything.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the white-socks-with-jeans look, in my opinion, harks back to the '50's (and the '80's revival of that era). my ilk used to wear bass weejuns with white (or other color) socks and jeans, with a white t-shirt. hell sometimes i even sported a ducktail (or duck's-ass if you're risque). i guess you start looking a little 'grease' or 'american graffiti' if you take it too far, but i think it's a valid look. just put a billy joel / "still rock-n-roll to me" cassette in your boombox, and you're ready to go. /andrew - sounds ironic, but is not **edit - ok here's the ironic part. they're not jeans, but i found a good pic of white socks with black shoes:
cry.gif
lads.jpg

Sinbad

Reaction score
We may be terribly traditionalist, but in Europe the use of white athletic socks is, as a matter of fact, limited to athletic use. Anyone over the age of 12, wearing white athletic socks with jeans, would be immediately identified as a person with not too much taste or as... an american tourist
wink.gif
Just kidding, no offense meant, I think there is a certain freedom of choice regarding the colour, as long as it is a dark tone.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some black cashmere socks that were on sale from somewhere near $50 and they have held up well even through the washer and dryer. I am totally careless with socks. I have some grey socks I sometimes use with jeans but the ones I use most often are army surplus boot socks, above the calf style, black wool/nylon/cotton blend. They were about $7/3pair or something ridiculous and they have held up great, don't fade much at all, are very comfortable (light padding on bottom) and keep your feet dry and happy. They breathe unlike cotton socks that soak up moisture and clam up your feet. They look fine with most shoes except light colored ones. And work well with boots, obviously. Check Sportsmens Guidefor them if you are interested.
Sportsman's Guide is good shyte.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone over the age of 12, wearing white athletic socks with jeans, would be immediately identified as a person with not too much taste or as... an american tourist Â
wink.gif
Just kidding, no offense meant, I think there is a certain freedom of choice regarding the colour, as long as it is a dark tone.
conversely, in some parts of the U.S., wearing anything other than white athletic socks with jeans would tag you as a geek or as . . . a European tourist Â
wink.gif

Sinbad

Reaction score
conversely, in some parts of the U.S., wearing anything other than white athletic socks with jeans would tag you as a geek or as . . . a European tourist Â
wink.gif
TouchÃ
00a9.png
smile.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm surprised no-one mentioned wearing NO socks. (or the low cut ankle socks that you can't see.) especially with casual loafers, deck/dock shoes, mocassins, JPTod's, etc...

today's a casual day so i'm wearing jeans with brown suede adidas sneakers and ankle socks. and i only wear the socks because my feet sweat and the shoes start reeking after a while.

a qualification i would like to make on my previous post defending white socks - i meant that as an acceptable choice (perhaps only in the US?) only if you're wearing burgundy or black penny loafers or their close approximation. (no sneakers here, and mocassins are probably a bad idea as well.) additionally you can turn up the jeans cuff to show a little more shoe and flash a bit of sock.

if you're michael jackson you can wear sparkley socks. but you better be moonwalking.

/andrew - has said way too much about white socks already

Sinbad

Reaction score
I think that not using socks at all is not really hygienic.
I´ve been wearing the low cut ankle socks myself but I must say that I´ve noticed a tendency to laugh in ladies, at the sight of the above mentioned ankle socks (or at least, I like to think that the laughs were due to my socks...).

quill

Reaction score
Okay, call me stupid (no, please don't), but sometimes I wear a kind of wool ragg sock with jeans. Though they'd seem hot, the wool actually breathes very well (why dya' think Bedouins wear wool in the Sahara?), and even absorbs odor better than some other fabrics. Plus, the rugged texture pairs well with rugged denim. Okay...NOW you can call me stupid.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads