• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor - Washington, DC

bongocity

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good tailor for alterations in the Washington, D.C. metro area?

I haven't been happy with anyone I've been to so far.

Thanks

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Field Custom English Tailors in the 1800 block of Wisconisin Avenue in upper Georgetown.

Reaction score
Does anyone know a decent place in the Dupont/U Street/Adams Morgan area? Georgetown is such a pain to travel to--although I've gone to Field's once and they were great.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio
Does anyone know a decent place in the Dupont/U Street/Adams Morgan area? Georgetown is such a pain to travel to--although I've gone to Field's once and they were great.

Get on the metro get off in Bethesda walk 2 blocks.

migo

Reaction score
the only one I'ved used is Do's Custom Tailor on Wisconsin and M in Gtown...had them alter some suit pants for me...they did a good job.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Get on the metro get off in Bethesda walk 2 blocks.

To Field's? Unless they've moved, this isn't accurate...

Reaction score
Actually, I think his reply is a snark in response to my question about tailors in other areas of NW.

Field's is definitely still in Georgetown, near the "social Safeway" on Wisconsin.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by regularjoe
To Field's? Unless they've moved, this isn't accurate...

Yea, I was talking about London Tailor in Bethesda. I was being snarky because it doesn't get a lot easier than that.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio
I live in Adams Morgan and take my alterations work to Field's. I take the 42 bus to Farragut Square and transfer to the 30/32/34/35/36 bus or the Circulator. If I'm in a rush, I pay $10 for a cab. Not that big of a hassle, in my opinion.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I live in Adams Morgan and take my alterations work to Field's. I take the 42 bus to Farragut Square and transfer to the 30/32/34/35/36 bus or the Circulator. If I'm in a rush, I pay $10 for a cab. Not that big of a hassle, in my opinion.

Dang Field's so expensive! Wait too long too! How've your experiences been?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

How much do they charge to shorten jacket sleeves?

summej2

Reaction score
It's never cheap, but then I usally take in only major alterations on good-quality items.

Adding additional waist suppression on a jacket, collar alteration (lowering), waist alteration (taking in), and cuffs on a suit and an additional hem on a pair of trousers set me back ~$250 recently.

Borky

Reaction score
I'm getting a shirt done and some alterations at Highcliffe Clothiers. They have a website and they're in the Dupont Circle region. I'll report back when they get done.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borky
I'm getting a shirt done and some alterations at Highcliffe Clothiers. They have a website and they're in the Dupont Circle region. I'll report back when they get done.

Not sure if it matters to you, but he doesn't perform his own alterations work. Alterations work is outsourced to someone else. He is not a tailor, but a "master fitter".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads