• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Business Dress

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
K-man, this one's for you:

p1040095ju9.jpg

Suit: solid charcoal gray, single-breasted, two button, notched lapels. The most conservative color and cut of all.

Shirt: Solid white broadcloth, medium spread collar, not too dashingly open, not too mafia-closed. Note the button cuffs. NEVER wear French cuffs.

Special shout-out to josepidal: that is an ultraconservative lawyer tie. In fact, I got if from the general counsel to the John Birch Society in an ebay sale. Printed twill with a dark blue ground and small silver and royal blue figures; no accent colors.

Some might say, Wouldn't a solid tie be more conservative? I reply: In the abstract, maybe. But in context, no. Solid ties are actually seen less than prints in the modern office building. In particular, grenadines are known to be favored by men who enjoy their clothes, and that is not conservative. What about a stripe? Conservative-looking, yes. But risky. Stripe patterns are tied to schools or regiments. Even the ones that really aren't look like they are. So what if you wear one, and one of the partners at your firm went to that school or served in that regiment? What then? I'll tell you what. You are f*cked. Pwned. He will crush your @$$. Your career will be ruined. Now, is that worth the risk? Of course not.

Prints are safe. Everyone wears prints. But note well: that is not an iconic print like an Hermes, a Ferragamo, or Vinyard Vines. Stay away from those. Not Conservative. You want a classic looking print of utterly indeterminate provenance.

White linen pocket handerchief, square fold, showing less than 1/2".

However, there will those for whom the above is not conservative enough. Some partner will say, "Who the f*ck do you think you are to wear that hankie? Hankies are for closers!" Someone else might think the tie clasp too vintage, too old world. The Firm Does Not Want Individuals! The Firm Wants Pliant Comma-Checking Slaves!

If so, ditch both accessories, and you will have ultraconservative business dress:

p1040097ob0.jpg

Here endeth the lesson.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Pockets need flaps. Slash pockets are too eurofancy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad

You are clearly NOT CONSERVATIVE. Those are not slash pockets. They are besom pockets. Enjoy your Armani, Eurotrash.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darts? Hmmph.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I agree. And it looks like the jacket actually has some waist suppression - completely unacceptable for "conservative business dress."
mwink[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Pay attention, you slack-jawed yokels. The lesson is not about Trad. It is about Conservative Business Dress. Conservative business dressers haven't worn Trad since 1965. Today Trad is a fad; it makes you stand out. NOT CONSERVATIVE.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You are clearly NOT CONSERVATIVE. Those are not slash pockets. They are besom pockets. Enjoy your Armani, Eurotrash.

I hate your freedom.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I wore my single breasted peak lapel suit to my job at my law firm. I fear they may fire me.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, but in conservative lawyer circles, no jacket would be complete without flaps.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lapels are too wide and that tie has too much pop for conservative business dress; ****** dimple too.
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
The Lapels are too wide and that tie has too much pop for conservative business dress; ****** dimple too.
laugh.gif

Dimples are NOT CONSERVATIVE, you Philistine. Dimples = artifice, trying too hard, thinking too much about clothes. Dimples are gay.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

laugh.gif

Also for a true conservative business dress, one should have a small American flag pin on the lapel (Go Bush!)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pay attention, you slack-jawed yokels. The lesson is not about Trad. It is about Conservative Business Dress. Conservative business dressers haven't worn Trad since 1965. Today Trad is a fad; it makes you stand out. NOT CONSERVATIVE.

Exactly. Dressing trad makes you look like a Senator or a TV personality. Way too flashy.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dimples are NOT CONSERVATIVE, you Philistine. Dimples = artifice, trying too hard, thinking too much about clothes. Dimples are gay.

Well, for that matter the excellent fit of the suit and natural shoulders are a little swishy, for those of us in the know.
wink.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
laugh.gif

Also for a true conservative business dress, one should have a small American flag pin on the lapel (Go Bush!)

Goddamnit, what do I need to do to get through to you people? This thread is not about POLITICAL CONSERVATISM. This is about Conservative Business Dress, which is bipartisan and apolitical. The lapel cannot be adorned. That is NOT CONSERVATIVE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads