• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Classic by Jeremy Hackett

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Sorry if I have missed any previous thread on this subject, but I get the occasional recommendation email from Amazon, and this book caught my eye. I am not familiar with the author and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this one. Appears that it is coming out in April:

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
A guide to classic English men's fashion, for would-be dandies everywhere.

Today, classic English tailoring is admired worldwide, and rightly so. There is nothing quite like a pair of well-polished brogues, a tailored dinner jacket, or even a set of freshly laundered striped cotton pajamas. And when it comes to top-drawer tailoring, there is nobody quite like Jeremy Hackett.

Hackett takes us on a grand tour of the world of Bentleys and polo, bicycles and picnics, bow ties and Sussex spaniels. Along the way, he muses on sartorial codes: why plus twos beat plus fours, the ideal length of sock, the pros and cons of cufflinks, the art of monogramming, how one should dress for a hunt or a shooting party, and how to get that bow tie looking "just so."

Brimming with anecdotes and observations as sharp as his suits"”as well as nostalgia for a time when a man knew how to dress for an occasion"”this is a book for those who appreciate the finer things in life. 136 illustrations, 49 in color.

About the Author
Jeremy Hackett is Chairman of the clothing label Hackett. His Mr. Classic columns in The Independent on Sunday have a large following. Garda Tang is a London-based photographer whose work can be found in leading fashion magazines throughout the world.
Product Details

* Hardcover: 200 pages
* Publisher: Thames & Hudson (April 9, 2007)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 0500513333
* ISBN-13: 978-0500513330
* Product Dimensions: 13.7 x 11 x 0.9 inches
* Shipping Weight: 4.37 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #210,804 in Books (See Top Sellers in Books)
(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
It's a very large format picture book with full-page illustrations from (?) Hackett catalogues (or shoots) of moody young English men. The short texts - in very big print - come from JH's column in the Independent on Sunday and have the quality of 'ramblings'. The texts do not relate in any way to the pictures they are positioned next to (or indeed to any others in the book). I am afraid they are pretty insubstantial and the book in no way compares with Roetzel or Flusser. I can't imagine who it is intended for.

See http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...lassic+hackett

Trimmer

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
It's a very large format picture book with full-page illustrations from (?) Hackett catalogues (or shoots) of moody young English men. The short texts - in very big print - come from JH's column in the Independent on Sunday and have the quality of 'ramblings'. The texts do not relate in any way to the pictures they are positioned next to (or indeed to any others in the book). I am afraid they are pretty insubstantial and the book in no way compares with Roetzel or Flusser. I can't imagine who it is intended for.

See http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...lassic+hackett

Trimmer

I saw this book at a Hackett shop in London, and had a pretty much identical reaction.

SUPER K

Reaction score
Remember the rambling prose in those J Peterman catalogs that read like a page of a script from a Film Noir? That's it, with Abcrombie looking models in morning wear and trainers, or walking around in bowlers with brollies. Ok reading if you don't overpay.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SUPER K
Remember the rambling prose in those J Peterman catalogs that read like a page of a script from a Film Noir? That's it, with Abcrombie looking models in morning wear and trainers, or walking around in bowlers with brollies. Ok reading if you don't overpay.
In an interesting move, all editions are "large print" editions for the nearsighted or the short attention-spanned. Pads out the Hackett ads nicely.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Thanks for the "warnings", Trimmer et al. I had missed that AAAC thread. Looks like I will pass on this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads