• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to co-worker's outdoor party: to dress up or not?

Farmgate

Reaction score
I am thinking of wearing a blue polo shirt and chinos, brown loafers to a co-worker's outdoor housewarming party, to be held in June. I am not that fond of chinos and polo shirts, but want to look respectful and courteous. Am I going "underddressed"?

I like a more fashion forward look with featured jeans and a tee shirt, but with this group, that's not going to happen.

What would you recommend by way of an alternative to the polo look? I was thinking of a fashionable dress shirt, longsleeves, and brown loafers, but is the Polo too casual for a party attended by colleagues and competitors???

Thanks guys!

cc3peat

Reaction score
I would just wear a casual button-down with the brown loafers like you've suggested. I've never found polos to be "dressy" anyways... plus the button downs I own are more comfortable than my polos.

WUKILLABEEZ78

Reaction score
I would think anything is appropriate to be worn to an outdoor housewarming party in June... I've never heard of anybody ever requesting guests to wear certain clothing for a housewarming party and their is certainly no "proper dress etiquette" for such an unformal event. In my opinion chinos, a polo shirt and loafers are no dressier than jeans and a t-shirt. I say wear whatever you want or whatever the weather dictates. As long as you are dressed neatly and respectfully (no t-shirts with lewd sayings for example) nobody (including any possible colleagues/competitors) could say anything negative. I'd rather be comfortable than try to dress to impress and risk looking pretentious.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
I am thinking of wearing a blue polo shirt and chinos, brown loafers to a co-worker's outdoor housewarming party, to be held in June.

do you work at best buy?

Navi

Reaction score
i'd just wear something fun like a pair of red trousers and a nice casual sportshirt or something like that. Maybe some suede shoes? I wouldn't go for a polo, just a casual-ish button down. Gotta find the best balance between too formal and too casual, though I'd rather be on the too casual side if it's just a housewarming party.

Ivar

Reaction score
Assuming that the blue polo shirt is navy and of a reasonably slim fit, I'd suggest you wear that one and couple it with a pair of slim-fit worsted-wool pants in some shade of grey. Shoes are nice and brown, obv.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't overdress...

It will stay with you forever...

It is human nature to resent people especially collleagues for looking good...

Go for a happy medium , chino/jeans with nice shirt...

Bring a jacket and if everybody is casual just leave it in the car.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ78
In my opinion chinos, a polo shirt and loafers are no dressier than jeans and a t-shirt.

Just cannot agree with this. Polo and chinos are very often acceptable as business casual dress. T-shirts and jeans are almost never.

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
Just cannot agree with this. Polo and chinos are very often acceptable as business casual dress. T-shirts and jeans are almost never.

+100

mjphillips

Reaction score
^^agree with this, in some places (say Florida) a polo shirt is "dressed up". Kind of sad but c'est la vie.

Chico2007

Reaction score
The khaki/polo is OK, but you run the risk of looking like a BestBuy guy (like someone already said) and even worse look exactly like someone else at the party. But if you have to go that way, make sure the fit is perfect. Slim fit khakis with a polo from Kent Wang.

Or do one of these. I like the one on the left. You can remove the jacket if it's too warm, but have it ready for a pretty young lady if she gets chilly when the sun goes down.
smile.gif

2j5dws6.jpg

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chico2007
The khaki/polo is OK, but you run the risk of looking like a BestBuy guy (like someone already said) and even worse look exactly like someone else at the party. But if you have to go that way, make sure the fit is perfect. Slim fit khakis with a polo from Kent Wang.

Or do one of these. I like the one on the left. You can remove the jacket if it's too warm, but have it ready for a pretty young lady if she gets chilly when the sun goes down.
smile.gif

2j5dws6.jpg

Too smart...

That is fine for a garden party or a posh B&Q , not for a colleague outdoor party...

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar

Go for a happy medium , chino/jeans with nice shirt...

Bring a jacket and if everybody is casual just leave it in the car.

Originally Posted by lasbar
Too smart...

That is fine for a garden party or a posh B&Q , not for a colleague outdoor party...

First you post ''chinos,nice shirt, bring jacket" I post picture of that, and you say "too smart"?
facepalm.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems more than adequate, likely that dark jeans and tepee shirt will suffice.

"This group" has not been invited s don't worry and wear what you are comfortable in.

ktrp

Reaction score
How old are your coworkers and what line of work are you in?

Housewarming for 50 year old fund managers on their new home probably looks a little different from a web designer's starter home housewarming party.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads