• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personalizing your dress shirt with your initials? If so, where? If not, bad taste?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
????????
Or Mono gram good show or bad blow? You decide.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey Soph-

Ive been thinking about putting the Guy on the cuffs of my shirts
satisfied.gif
so I can be original at work without causing any trouble.

-Danny Wilsn

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coachvu

Reaction score
On my first Jantzen order, I had them put the monogram on the inside of the yoke. Sort of a nice personal touch that few will see. I think anything readily visible is too flashy.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have them on the inside of the yoke. Invisible to anyone but me.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
Big monogram proponent ... but only if done tasetefully. All of my monograms are done between the fourth and fifth button (down from the neck) about two inches left of the placket. More discreet than on one's chest or cuff.

Hoya

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+4 on inside of yolk.

The Senior MD in my group has them on his left cuff. Kind of interesting. FWIW - He is old school Alden/BB all the way.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think theyre always in bad taste, just often so.

I found an old shirt that was made for me with my initials on the lower left, just above the belt line. I think I didnt like that the initials werent obviously handmade. I used to get these small, obviously handmade ones but even that was an expensive waste of time. And what if the monogram gets botched?

There is such a wide diversity of reactions to monograms that it is hard to say whether it's worthwhile or not. I have seen whole groups favorably impressed with a man's monogram on the collar or cuff. That placement almost always makes my lip curl. The only exception Ive seen was this client of my shirtmaker who had two sets of buttonholes on each of his french cuffs with a different major city around the world (NYC, Tokyo, London, LA, I think). He wore tiffany watch cufflinks in there and apparently he worked in a trade where he needed to know differnt timezones. that's so unique that what mightve been crass becomes appealing.

Be prepared to have your privacy invaded constantly because we are in a time where people will ask you constantly what the monograms mean. In an age of legible clothing, the expectation is that someone will ask for a translation. If that's what you want, then fine. But let's say youre in a situation where you dont want someone aksing what the initials stand for?

For me personally, I recognize that the way I dress already garners enough attention (suspicion?) that loading on the bells and whistles isnt a good idea.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
I dont think theyre always in bad taste, just often so. I found an old shirt that was made for me with my initials on the lower left, just above the belt line. I think I didnt like that the initials werent obviously handmade. I used to get these small, obviously handmade ones but even that was an expensive waste of time. And what if the monogram gets botched? There is such a wide diversity of reactions to monograms that it is hard to say whether it's worthwhile or not. I have seen whole groups favorably impressed with a man's monogram on the collar or cuff. That placement almost always makes my lip curl. The only exception Ive seen was this client of my shirtmaker who had two sets of buttonholes on each of his french cuffs with a different major city around the world (NYC, Tokyo, London, LA, I think). He wore tiffany watch cufflinks in there and apparently he worked in a trade where he needed to know differnt timezones. that's so unique that what mightve been crass becomes appealing. Be prepared to have your privacy invaded constantly because we are in a time where people will ask you constantly what the monograms mean. In an age of legible clothing, the expectation is that someone will ask for a translation. If that's what you want, then fine. But let's say youre in a situation where you dont want someone aksing what the initials stand for? For me personally, I recognize that the way I dress already garners enough attention (suspicion?) that loading on the bells and whistles isnt a good idea.
+1 I am always curious about people with visible monograms, although I have seen some done by hand that are beautiful. I would still not want a beautiful one, but that is just me.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have one shirt with a monogram. It is a MTM Zegna and the monogramming was free, so I had it done near the bottom of the shirt, just to the wearer's left of center. It is completely concealed during wearing.

pinchi22

Reaction score
I think a discreet monogram on the chest or the sleeve is very nice. It shows your shirt is MTM (of course, someone could just add a monogram to RTW).

If the monogram isn´t your own initials, yes, you´re open to being questioned!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also get them inside the yoke when it's free of charge but couldn't care less and would not pay an extra cent for a monogram. I actually dislike visible monograms

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I also have them on the inside of the yoke. Invisible to anyone but me.
+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads