• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minnis Fresco vs H&S Crispaire?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts of one vs the other? I have a couple of trousers in Crispaire, but have no experience with Minnis Fresco.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Minnis has more texture, Crispaire looks more like a tropical.

Much prefer the former.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
How about Scabal tropical?

No idea, all my tropical is either Lesser 8/9 or Minnis Rangoon (now gone).

emptym

Reaction score
I've been trying to decide the same thing. And by PM have bugged the heck out of kind SF members like dopey, yfyf, and Parker, as well as the good folks at Chan who were kind enough to send me this pic comparing Minnis and Crispaire's lightest grays:
pqsmT.jpg

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Minnis has more texture, Crispaire looks more like a tropical.

Much prefer the former.

Thank you.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I've been trying to decide the same thing. And by PM have bugged the heck out of kind SF members like dopey, yfyf, and Parker, as well as the good folks at Chan who were kind enough to send me this pic comparing Minnis and Crispaire's lightest grays:
pqsmT.jpg

I plan to get a suit made in Minnis 0500 but it looks too light in your picture. I think Parker posted a pic of it and it looked little darker.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is one of them more porous/better for hot climate than the other ?

How about price?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I plan to get a suit made in Minnis 0500 but it looks too light in your picture. I think Parker posted a pic of it and it looked little darker.
Here's 511 which I recall being roughly the same shade as 500. It's fairly light but not obnoxiously so.
4WAIe.jpg
This shot gives an idea of the texture:
IzBnm.jpg
Incidentally, Minnis will send you swatches free of charge.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thank you, I was deciding between 511 and 500,I like 511 more and it seems more versatile although it must be a little heavier than 500. How do you get the samples?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
^^ Thank you, I was deciding between 511 and 500,I like 511 more and it seems more versatile although it must be a little heavier than 500. How do you get the samples?

There is a contact form on the website. I just asked for the fabrics I wanted. I received samples within a week or two.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm much more of a fan of Minnis than Crispaire. The Minnis has a coarser texture, but it's not itchy. The colors also appear more varied on the fabrics giving off a nice almost flannel like texture. The Crispaire (especially the new book) is a small step away from tropical worsted in terms of softness and texture which I find a turn off. I like a bit more guts in my fabric.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
511 is quite a bit darker than 500. 511 is actually closer to 501.

IME, the 9/10 (511) wears a great deal hotter than the 7/8 (500).

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
IME, the 9/10 (511) wears a great deal hotter than the 7/8 (500).
While I have yet to make up my 0500, I agree that the 9/10 oz can wear hot. The key is to get the padding and canvas and all around construction as soft as possible with a half lining. I really pushed my tailor to remove as much padding as possible to a near paper thin amount. My most recent coat made in that weight made a big difference doing that and is noticeable cooler and more comfortable.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I wore the 511 on Monday or Tuesday, one of our rare hot days, maybe 90 or 95 degrees. I was fine in it, but San Diego is not humid. If I were in NYC or Miami, I'd want something lighter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads