• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My philosophy on buying

noeltazz

Reaction score
Buy the best or don't buy it at all. The reason being, that we will always want to get better and better things over time. For example, a watch. I buy a Seiko today for 500, because I think it's good for the price. In 2 years, after a raise, I want to upgrade to a Tag, I pay 3000. Then after another few years, you get another watch of a little higher prestige for say 6,000. Then finally you buy a real watch, like a rolex, for 10,000 and up. You'll have spent over 20,000 and all you ended up with was that rolex. So why didn't you spend that money in the first place and buy the rolex. You'll have saved money in the long run, and would have had a rolex for that entire time you had those bullshit watches. The time cost of money here is less than the cost of owning all those bullshit watches before you finally bought the rolex. The key is that you are going to end up getting the rolex in the long run no matter what, thats the principle that makes this theory work. (substitute rolex for any other high end watch you respect or think highly of). And it's for that reason I
IMG_20101007_231548.jpg
I've had it since I was 21, and was the first watch i ever bought and will have it until I'm 81. Didn't need to spend 15,000gs worth of bullshit tags and tissots to get there. There are some of you that may say, "not everybody has that kind of money douchebag", but if it means that much to you, then you should finance it. And it obviously does mean a lot to you because you're here on this forum, with hundreds of posts, all day, every week, talking about the stuff you buy. The same applies for anything that is TIMELESS. Anything that will never go out of style.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats a nice watch, but you dont need to spend 20 grand to get a decent watch

noeltazz

Reaction score
I agree, but the key is to not waste the money if you'll otherwise end up buying the super expensive watch in the long run.

If you get a decent watch for 4,000 and keep it forever, then fantastic. I have nothing but respect for you and your watch. But if you get that 4,000 watch now, but then 10 years later decide "it's not good enough" and get another one for 10,000. Then I would look at you and say, why didn't you just buy that 10,000 watch 10 years ago...

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you saying that you buy the best pima-egyptian-cotton underwear and wear them for the rest of your life?

this philosophy only applies to timeless stuff (watches). there is no way this could work for shoes even though you buy the most expensive lanvin sneakers.

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronxs
are you saying that you buy the best pima-egyptian-cotton underwear and wear them for the rest of your life?

this philosophy only applies to timeless stuff (watches). there is no way this could work for shoes even though you buy the most expensive lanvin sneakers.

Assuming the shoes actually last for the rest of your life, why not?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noeltazz
I agree, but the key is to not waste the money if you'll otherwise end up buying the super expensive watch in the long run.

If you get a decent watch for 4,000 and keep it forever, then fantastic. I have nothing but respect for you and your watch. But if you get that 4,000 watch now, but then 10 years later decide "it's not good enough" and get another one for 10,000. Then I would look at you and say, why didn't you just buy that 10,000 watch 10 years ago...

What if the best watch for me is a $200k watch? So if I buy a $5k watch right now, it'll be a waste of money?

I get what you are trying to say but to a certain extent. You have to account to your taste changing. Like that two-tone Rolex, what if in 10 years you get tired or yellow gold? Then you'd buy another watch that you deem the best at the moment. You didn't even buy the most classic, iconic Rolex in their collection. You bought the one that could actually go out of style with the more modern bezel and two-tone color.

Also, are you really telling people here to finance a watch?

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Local_Disk
Assuming the shoes actually last for the rest of your life, why not?

fashion - a general term for the style and custom prevalent at a given time

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, but the key is to not waste the money if you'll otherwise end up buying the super expensive watch in the long run. If you get a decent watch for 4,000 and keep it forever, then fantastic. I have nothing but respect for you and your watch. But if you get that 4,000 watch now, but then 10 years later decide "it's not good enough" and get another one for 10,000. Then I would look at you and say, why didn't you just buy that 10,000 watch 10 years ago...
nobody thinks like that. its not for sure that youre gonna have a stable enough job that pays that well for you to be buying 20 grand watches. people will eventually start families which will need financial support, and you can't spend 20 grand on jewelery when you need to be puting your kids through education and stuff. and if you do actually get a successful career chances are your gonna save money to buy a specific watch, and not buy a bunch of others ones on the way.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
What if the best watch for me is a $200k watch? So if I buy a $5k watch right now, it'll be a waste of money?

I get what you are trying to say but to a certain extent. You have to account to your taste changing. Like that two-tone Rolex, what if in 10 years you get tired or yellow gold? Then you'd buy another watch that you deem the best at the moment. You didn't even buy the most classic, iconic Rolex in their collection. You bought the one that could actually go out of style with the more modern bezel and two-tone color.

Also, are you really telling people here to finance a watch?

I'm glad RFX got here befor me. Finance a watch? For realz? I don't know how many or what kind of watches he has but I believe its a lot, and even he thinks your idea is questionable, to say the least. I could elaborate for hours on this flawed logic, but I'll spare everyone and refrain

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
durrrrr here is how i spend my dad's money. finance it you peasant!!

acl1

Reaction score

yup. op, i think you might've confused quality with durability.

Local_Disk

Reaction score

So watches can't go out of fashion, but shoes can?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
Financing a Rolex. Are you the same guy who was talking about the prestige of his watch? No hate but that thing is not nearly worth that much imo, metal band watches will never look as classy as a leather strap
Originally Posted by Local_Disk
So watches can't go out of fashion, but shoes can?
A watch can, theoretically with stringent care, last (for all intents and purposes) forever. Shoes deteriorate. Even if you can get them resoled, the uppers will break down either in form or the leather itself will give in. The metals in a good watch won't succumb to this. As for design, look at how much has changed in the last century of watch design, not a whole lot at the top end. Look at how shoe designs have changed, massively. I swear this exact thread was done before (including responses....)

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TIMELESS is a pretty big gamble when in the future watches will be irrelevant

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads