• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts with patterns on inside of collar and cuffs

bjswifty

Reaction score
I recently have had the liking of shirts with contrasting patterns (floral, pasley, ect) on the inside of the collars and cuffs for dress shirts. Brands I have been purchasing include English Laundry, and Bugatchai, and Burberry. I wear these to work with a tie and the cuffs buttoned so they do not show the pattern, but on the weekends or on Fridays (no tie day) I wear it with top button unbuttoned and the cuffs flipped back to show off the pattern..

I am curious to what other people think of these types of shirts, and if there is a proper way to wear them to show off the inside of the cuff. More specifically, I am talking about either keeping it unbuttoned and flipped back, or flipped back and buttoned, which I see displayed in the department stores.. This makes the cuff obviously very tight, and since it is flipped back, it sinches up the arm.. One of my Bugatchai shirts is convertible cuffed, so it has an extra button hole to put a cuff link on...

I know this is most likely personal preference, but I'd like to hear about how others treat these types of shirts, either leave them on the shelf, or flaunt the colors and patterns.

Oh, also a couple of the English Laundry shirts with patterns on the cuffs are french cuffs, and you can't flip them back to show the pattern, but I do like how the manufacturer has one of the corners stitched back to display it.. I wear these on the weekends with jeans un-tucked and unbuttoned and no tie, or with a tie/suit to work...

Ok, thanks!

bjswifty

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I think they can work as "party shirts", but they run the risk of coming off a little douchey.

+1

If you're going to do it anyway, keep it subtle. Stay away from loud and highly contrasting fabrics.

bjswifty

Reaction score
Yes you are right, one I would never wear to work because of just the flamboyant colors, checkered all over the shirt with an almost shiny look to it (the shirt is also made of some pajama type material and looks almost like a robe, haha)... But, I do have a couple which look like ordinary dress shirts, such as all white with woven vertical stripe texture, or white with solid blue vertical stripes.. the white one with a silver lining on the inside with black checkers, and the blue stripe has dark navy lining.. The burberry of course is solid white with the nova check on the inside..

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my thing personally but Paul Smith does this with most of their french cuff shirts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't do it!

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am so over that look.
I have been doing these for over 15 years. yes. this is not a new trend

in another year you will be tired of these robert Graham/rufus etc shirts with weiord colored buttonholes.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several shirts done like that, It's certainly not new amongst shirtmakers. On my shirts, for example, if the shirt was stripes the shirtmaker would line the inside of the collar and cuffs with the check version of the cloth. Most of my shirts are made from Acorn fabric who tend to do both striped and checked versions of the 'same' colourway wise cloth.

I think about it the same way I think about suit coat linings. Plus, the fact that few will ever see it.

RTW seem to have appropiated it, but so what?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do it. Do it loud.

Improves the odds for the rest of us.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is this any different from Rubinacci lining their jackets with tie-silk?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
How is this any different from Rubinacci lining their jackets with tie-silk?
Under no circumstances would you see the lining of a jacket while it's worn. It's a more genuinely personal choice. Different fabrics under your shirt cuff and collar are specifically intended to be shown. Also, you need to have a different fabric lining your jacket than the one that makes up it's exterior, anyway. That said, I'm not hugely enthusiastic about overly expressive jacket linings myself. I prefer plain, solid colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads