• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes Ralph Lauren Sanderson, Singleton and Slaton shoe lines?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd like to know as well

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great looking shoes. I can't place the maker off of the pics. I imagine that it would be Alden. Has anyone seen them in person? The sales guy at the mansion told me that they do not have them in yet.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
The new RL shoes are made by Allen Edmonds in Wisconsin. They are on the 222 last.
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!111

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't this better positioned at AAAC?
biggrin.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I, for one, am pleased with the news. Splendid. Long Live Allen Edmonds.
smile.gif

steve2318

Reaction score
If these are made by Allen Edmonds, does anyone know if they would be recraftable?

If so, I would love to pick up the sanderson

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handled some of these recently. They were less impressive in person than on the website, to be honest. To say the least, the finishing is not what you'd expect on a $500, non-shell shoe. I fully support the made in America move, but these are at least $100 too expensive at retail relative to what's on the market.

I can't say myself who makes them, but they're definitely not Alden judging by the construction, while AE seems consistent. They're generally finished at a slightly higher standard than regular old AE, with the lasts/upper treatment being the most noteworthy improvements.

OakCliff

Reaction score
The Ralph Lauren website provides the following information regarding the American made boat shoes. Perhaps they produce more than just boat shoes at the RL shoe factory in Maine.

link: http://style.ralphlauren.com/askralp...n=6&category=5

What is a boat shoe and what makes Ralph Lauren's so special?

Characterized by scored rubber soles and stitched leather uppers, the classic boat shoe was introduced in the "˜30s "” first as a boating necessity and finally as a lasting, iconic American shoe. Today, Ralph Lauren continues the tradition at our historic shoe factory in Brewer, Maine. Ralph Lauren restored the original factory to its former glory as a leader in crafting quality footwear. After rehiring the factory's former shoe artisans, the factory became the source for all of Ralph Lauren's classic boat shoes. It's only fitting that iconic American footwear is produced in the USA; with a team of expert craftsman and time-honored techniques, our Maine factory proves that we can produce the highest quality products right in our own backyard.​

OakCliff

Reaction score
Here's an article that explains the company that likely makes at least some of the RL American-made shoes. In the early 1990's, Michael Rancourt sold his shoe company to Allen Edmonds, his biggest client for hand-sewn loafers. Apparently, this Maine shoe factory was where AE hand sewn shoes were made and continue to be made. AE decided to get out of the business of making shoes for other companies and decided to layoff people in Maine and Rancourt bought back his shoe company (it's now called Rancourt & Co.). Rancourt makes shoes for Ralph Lauren, high end retailers in Japan and a retail group in South Africa with retail prices from $200 to $500.

This still doesn't confirm whether Rancourt makes the Sanderson, Singleton and Slaton shoes, but at least it provides some interesting background.

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/791254

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics