• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armani imitates, insults the Row

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what a buffoon

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I like how Mark Henderson of G&H rips him a new one.
That is indeed a veritable bitchslapping.

itsmeJT

Reaction score
you don't impress anyone by being rude

he should just let his work speak for itself

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote from Armani:

“Younger clients want a made-to-measure suit but they are not so keen on all the old traditions. They have different concerns. They want to know not just how a suit looks when they first put it on but how it moves, how it sheens, how it hangs, how easy it is to travel in, whether it looks as good with sneakers as it does with a pair of hand-made shoes.”

wow.gif
That says it all.

mrchapel

Reaction score
How very snobbish of him. If there were the choice of an Armani suit or no suit at all, I'd wear no suit. I never liked the fit of Armani, and felt most of it was overpriced.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems a huge mis-calculation to dis -respect Savile row and English heritage, and in the same sentence announce the opening of a London store, especially if you are trying to lure some of SR's more contemporary customers.

Second, how many people are still wearing his "innovations" he made in the 70's when he changed fashion from old to new. If they're gathering mold in a closet somewhere, I'd project that as a dubious sign for
the longevity of his ground breaking couture.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eh, Armani is just trying desperately to remain relevant. Amongst fashion fans, Armani isn't highly desired. Amongst fans of sartorial style, Armani isn't highly desired there either.

SO, I think he's just trying to be provocative because a part of him knows that anybody who OUGHT to be listening has long since moved on. And, he's trying to entice groups of incredibly noveau riche who aren't particularly stylish (Russian billionaires et. al) and who still think that wearing Armani will thrill everybody in the room. Unfortunately, the guy in the G&H has already done that, so he probably finds himself lonely in the corner.

As for Savile Row's stodginess, they always seem willing to work with different fabrics or fabrics brought to them by their customer. It has always been a challenge that they've accepted well. I remember reading an article once (I can't remember which tailor it was from, though) who talked about having a customer bring him yards of beaded sequin fabric to make into a dinner jacket for a 50th birthday party or something like that. So, Armani is wrong there as well.

John

HitMan009

Reaction score
It's amazing the things that come out of his old and wrinkled mouth. But you can all relax, I think. This is a man in the twlight of his career and he needs to make a bang some how or other. So why not attack the place that basically invented the modern men's dress code. I have no doubt he will have a lot of clients. He was built his empire around it and people have flocked to it for decades. Oh well, no worries, he is old and over the hill. I can take comfort in that.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But this doesn't even sound like couture - he's selling MTM suits. If he was really doing couture, inventing new ideas of suits for his clients, that would at least be something.

I mean, where's my triple-breasted suit with hammer pants?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Armani's black label work. I was in the San Francisco boutique a few years back and saw many casual pieces I would have liked to own. But his suits seemed cut for a heavier man. Maybe bespoke could resolve that. But if I were going to spend that sort of money on clothing, I'd go to Kiton.

BTW, in my avatar I wear a Giorgio Armani linen vest. One of my favorite things for summer.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"whether it looks as good with sneakers as it does with a pair of hand-made shoes.”

I know I'm not the first to comment on this but I almost cried when I saw this. Someone needs to take Giorgio out.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

I remember reading an article once (I can't remember which tailor it was from, though) who talked about having a customer bring him yards of beaded sequin fabric to make into a dinner jacket for a 50th birthday party or something like that.

Thomas Mahon, I think. I think I saw it on www.englishcut.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads