• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC: Where to get a MTM Suit?

TallEd

Reaction score
So, this is my first post. Hooray for me. I've been reading the forum for quite a while now, but never had much reason to chime in till now.

I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced MTM suit in Washington, DC. I would buy off the rack, but at 6'6" and 170 pounds, nothing except 40XL fits, and even then it's not exactly great.
My budget is, at max, around $1000. That puts bespoke squarely out of my reach, unless I'm wrong.

In any case, where would you recommend I go to end up with a well-fitted, slim-cut suit in DC? Thus far, the only two places I have come up with is Geoffrey Lewis and The Custom Shop. Has anyone had any experience with either? Where else would you recommend I check out?

Thanks in advance!

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Take a drive up to English American in Westminster, MD and talk to Elio. He will set you up with a MTM suit for under $1000.

dfischer1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
Take a drive up to English American in Westminster, MD and talk to Elio. He will set you up with a MTM suit for under $1000.

+1

brittain

Reaction score
has anyone ever posted photos of an English American suit? Ive never seen any, although several people claim to have used them.

TallEd

Reaction score
I'd definitely be interested in seeing some final products from English American, considering the praise here and on AAAC.

Does anyone else have experience with VM Clothiers? OTC's one picture of the whole suit isn't that impressive, but the prices they offer are quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TallEd
... but the prices they offer are quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

You will save money in the long run by seeing Elio at E/A.... very high quality garment (I sell them) and Elio will correctly measure you and steer you to the best model.

healinginfluence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
You will save money in the long run by seeing Elio at E/A.... very high quality garment (I sell them) and Elio will correctly measure you and steer you to the best model.

I just saw this post and live in DC. Do you know if the suit jackets from E/A are fully canvassed? I have ordered from Hong Kong but really would prefer to buy American.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by healinginfluence
I just saw this post and live in DC. Do you know if the suit jackets from E/A are fully canvassed? I have ordered from Hong Kong but really would prefer to buy American.
Yes they are fully canvased, and have more handwork than any other garment made in America except Oxxford. Ask for the new H. Freeman model for Fall '10 if you want modern and slim. The pics are on my websites front page.

healinginfluence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
Yes they are fully canvased, and have more handwork than any other garment made in America except Oxxford. Ask for the new H. Freeman model for Fall '10 if you want modern and slim. The pics are on my websites front page.

Thank you for your reply. It looks like I will be driving to Westminster soon.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
They are fully canvassed and they use bemberg lining. I think they charge extra for pick stitching and functional sleeve buttons. They make the suits right there at the factory on site. They are still MTM and are not full bespoke.

TallEd

Reaction score
What's the baseline price for an E/A suit? This looks to be the best option considering the universal praise they receive.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TallEd
What's the baseline price for an E/A suit? This looks to be the best option considering the universal praise they receive.

I open at $795.00 regular price (basic 100% wools) for MTM with H. Freeman. I include all the extras: surgeon sleeves, pic stitch, fancy linings, pen/pencil pocket, passport pocket etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads