• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe horse (whore?)

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So are you the male version of Sarah Jessica Parker?  Do you dream about a sample sale for Edward Green or JM Weston?  Just for kicks, how many shoes do people own and how much do they pay, on average, for a decent pair of shoes?

I'll start... I like shoes.  I'm worse than most of my female friends and WAY worse than any guy I know.

REVISION TO MY ORIGINAL POST
24-26 pairs
(Brands include: Lobb Paris, Edward Green, Santoni Fatte a Mano, CJ Handgrade for RL, Lidfort, Moreschi, Tod's, Ferragamo, Bally, Allen Edmodns, To Boot, Ecco, Cole Haan, and 1 lonely Rockport)

FCS

Reaction score
I think shoefan mentioned that he has 20 pairs of AEs alone. And that's not his most favourite brands.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Do I need professional help? You decide.

Alden: 5 pair Shell cordovan: 3 pair other leathers
Johnston & Murphy: 1 pair shell cordovan; 1 pair calfskin
Vass: 1 pair shell cordovan; 1 pair calfskin
Crocket and Jones: country boots; white bucks
Churches: 2 pair calfskin
Bass: tan bucks; black loafers
Trask: chukka boots; oxfords; tan bucks
Limmer: walking shoes
Timberland: boat shoes
Teva: leather sandals
Lobb: 1 pair shell cordovan on order (due Christmas, 04)

2 pair of running shoes
4 pair rock climbing shoes
5 pair mountaineering/ice climbing boots
3 pair trail running/approach shoes
2 pair hiking boots
rafting/water shoes
water sandals
4 pair ski boots

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, let's see...

$79 Rockport dress shoes
$220 Allen Edmonds (got them on Ebay for $90)
A really really old pair of Sketchers sneakers I got in like my senior year of high school, 2000

Yeah. I'm trying to work up enough money so I can get some R.M. Williams ankle boots, you know, just to have.

Edit for fun personal factoid: I wasted most of my money during the beginning years of college on game miniatures. If only I had bought shoes instead.

MPS

Reaction score
RM Williams: 4 pairs of chisel-toed Chelsea boots
Crockett and Jones: 2 pair of standard grade, one of hand grade, one pair of patent formal shoes
Grensons: 1 pair from the footmaster range, one from the masterpiece range
Tim Little: 1 pair
Kow Hoo: 2 pairs
Edward Green: 1 pair
Assorted sneakers

shoefan

Reaction score
E's: Approx 20 pairs (purchased for $59 - $110 from AE factory store near my parents' house)
E. Green: 2 pair (burgundy slip on, chestnut blucher) ($200 - $325)
Foster & Sons: 2 pair (wholecut loafer & cap toe oxford) ($200)
Alden/Brooks Bros: 8 pair (3 shell cordovan) ($80 - $150)
Perry Ercolino: 1 pair ($130)
Capanile: 1 pair
JM Weston: 2 pairs ($80 - $300)
Ferragamo: 10 pairs ($100 - $150)
Tod's: 10 pairs (including 3 pairs boots) $75 - $140 @ Tod's outlet & Off Fifth
Cole Haan: 5 pairs - primarily Bragano models ($50 - $100)
R Lauren/C&J (handgrade): 1 pair (tassel loafers) ($112)
Foojoy (goodyear welted): 4 pairs ($20[.] - $100) [excludes golf shoes]
B Magli: 2 pairs ($140)
Santoni: 3 pairs (1 Fatte a Mano) $30 - $140)
Fratelli Rossetti: 1 pair ($70)
Testoni: 1 pair
To Boot: 1 pair
Saks Driving Mocs (made in Italy) 1 pair ($40)
Prada: 1 pair (white bucks) ($40)
Gucci: 2 pairs ($50 - $120)

My average price/pair is probably $90; note that these shoes have accumulated over approximately 20 years. I guess I'm easy on shoes, since I've only worn out maybe 5 or 6 pairs over all those years.

(I better not let my wife see this list.)

shoefan

Reaction score
Maybe I need to change my nickname to Imelda. In my own defense, I was living out of town for 3 years, so many of my shoes were in storage during that time, which was practically like not owning them (or so I'd prefer to believe). [Okay, so it's a lame defense; that's one example of why I decided not to practice law.]
Too much of a good thing is wonderful. Mae West

masterfred

Reaction score
Shoefan, you have a pair of Perry Ercolino shoes for $130? I thought he was a bespoke shoemaker.........did you buy them second-hand, or does he offer RTW?

mrprlover

Reaction score
Nevermind...
I was going to post a list but opon further inspection...forgetaboutit.  

Somewhere in the 25 pairs range - anything from B.Magli loafers to Nike Shox (4).

Yikes shoefan.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Game miniatures?.? Â Me too. Â Hard to believe there are two of us miniature collecting geeks on this style board. Â http://www.larsonweb.com/Transfer/Mi...reMainPage.htm
That is hella awesome. I especially love your Minas Tirith. All I have are a load of old Ral Partha Battletech miniatures, most of them in actual lead pewter. I also have a decent-sized Warhammer 40K Space Marines army. Here's a Veteran Sergeant of mine, Protus.
Protus.JPG
Obviously, the Space Marines took a larger chunk out of my budget than the Ral Partha ones did. So, yeah. This is what I bought with money that could have been used to advance my wardrobe instead.
sad.gif

mrprlover

Reaction score
Are those miniatures worth anything? Are they investments as say comics or baseball cards?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the paint job or if the miniature's out of production. Back before Battletech was rereleased into a bastardized version named "Mechwarrior," out-of-production miniatures fetched upwards to $40 each. Now they hover around $10. Still, minis with awesome paint jobs can easily fetch far more than their retail price. I don't really look at it as an investment; I just like to have them and play with them. Kind of like how some people are with shoes
tounge.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those miniatures worth anything?  Are they investments as say comics or baseball cards?
Some miniatures tend to appreciate in value, but most don't. Although there are some 19th and early 20th century miniatures which are worth a lot of money, those aren't the ones I collect. Malcolm Forbes had a pretty extensive collection of antique miniatures which was worth millions. Mine are of more recent vintage (oldest are from the early 1970s) and therefore less "collectible."

If I sold my collection, I would probably more than break even on my investment, but wouldn't make much profit. I don't do it for money, I do it for fun.

vero_group

Reaction score
Most collectibles are speculations, not investments -- the owner *hopes* the collectible will increase in value.

An investment would generate cash flow for the owner while they owned it, like if he or she could rent the collectible out for exhibits, shows, etc. and collect a rental fee. You would value the collectible based on years of discounted cash flows back to the present. The more cash flow the collectible can generate over the years, the more its value increases, and the better investment it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads