• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anything I'm missing on Jantzen shirts?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just recently moved back to hong kong and got to make my first ever bespoke item... a Jantzen shirt!...and I love it!

I also just found out ther are more options to be pondering about rather than just the collar, cuffs, and flat front/stitched, for example, using another awesome fabric to line the cuff+collar, using different colored thread to stitch the buttons/buttonholes, and button color etc.

What else is there am I missing out?? I feel that my first shirt could have been so much more customized now that i know of these few other options!! I want to know more!! Anyone have tips and suggestions when making a shirt?

I'm also afraid....because I know where my paychecks will be going from now on...

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Too many quirks will look affected, at some point. Make sure you understand exactly what image you want to portray.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Too many quirks will look affected, at some point. Make sure you understand exactly what image you want to portray.

well I will limit myself...but I'm just wondering what I'm missing
tounge.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never been that tempted to go crazy with my Jantzen. My shirts tend to be fairly conservative. I quickly found a few stylistic hallmarks that I liked -- slightly longer cuffs, for example -- and enjoy having shirts made to match. That subtle consistency is one of my favorite parts of Jantzen.

One small word of caution on trying out quirky ideas: I've found that a single wrong choice can ruin a whole shirt. I have a Canali linen shirt that fits great and feels wonderful, but it has contrast buttonholes that keep me from wearing it regularly. Just too distinctive, and a bit flashier than I generally prefer.

That said, Jantzen offers a great chance to try out ideas on a larger, conceptual level. For example, I don't normally wear short-sleeve button-ups, but I had been thinking of having one made in an old-fashioned style, with longer sleeves that flare outward near the elbow. But now I've let it get awfully late in the season for that, I suppose.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen Experiment (the non-existant collar): I believe its 1.5" total collar height including collar band, when standing up. Specified no collar interlining, so its very soft and unstructured. The fabric is a fun one too. Black lining of fabric on the inside of collar band Barrel - rounded - 1 button cuffs Short length (but rounded...I hate squared off ends)

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen experiment: Double button collar with collar band in exact same pattern and texture but reversed colors. On retrospect, I should have reversed the color of the buttons too to complete!
devil.gif
A lot of people have noted it looks like I have a bowtie on from afar if I wear it without a tie.

Tampan

Reaction score
Both shirts are very well fitted. The pink shirt does look soft around the neck, I imagine it's great on hot days. With the collar and sleeves up, it makes me think of a moth hit with Mortein
tounge.gif

The white shirt's collar is intriguing. As a look, it deserves to really take off - masterminded by a PoW (not POW, unless it's Mendela) or another style icon, which evolves into striped undercollars, spotted undercollars... I fear that will be resisted due to the reaction of many people to a buttoned-up shirt without a tie - it "seems odd". No proper basis for that statement, however. How does the white shirt look when you also wear a tie? I would think you couldn't use a black tie, it would look like a triple Windsor. Perhaps a red tie. It's a great party shirt. I like it. Please make it mainstream
smile.gif

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm digging those experimental collars.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tampan
The pink shirt does look soft around the neck, I imagine it's great on hot days.

I actually made this specifically for a trip to Malaysia...however not finished in time and I only picked it up after my trip
frown.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How about detachable collars? I don't know if anyone's tried that yet.

Don't forget "flowback" cuffs, single link cuffs, etc. Or you could get some bizarre pointed cuffs made that link normally on the palm side but go to a point on the outside. I don't know, just random thoughts. Might be cool looking, who knows.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Jantzen Experiment (the non-existant collar):

I believe its 1.5" total collar height including collar band, when standing up.
Specified no collar interlining, so its very soft and unstructured. The fabric is a fun one too.
Black lining of fabric on the inside of collar band
Barrel - rounded - 1 button cuffs
Short length (but rounded...I hate squared off ends)

i like this one very dior homme i have a few very simular to this! all you need now is a unlinned fresco or cream linin coat to go with it

ahbeijai

Reaction score
Toiletduck, love the no-existant collar look. How did you specify it with Ricky, did he have a readily available template for it?

yoyo

Reaction score
Thats an interesting look with the collar up

prozach1576

Reaction score
Hey Toiletduck, want to drop by and ask Ricky to make my order?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads