• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apocalyptic movies

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to watch some good movies about the apocalypse. Looking for great plot and acting - special effects would be nice as well but honestly, they take a back seat. Any good recs?

PS Haven't seen The Road but I read the book and I'm more interested in a movie that is apocalyptic rather than post-apocalyptic.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For sheer scale, you can't beat 2012. Actually just finished watching it. Teared up more than once.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
For sheer scale, you can't beat 2012. Actually just finished watching it. Teared up more than once.

But wait, you like Twilight, right?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Last Night
Terminator

Would Andromeda Strain count as apocalyptic?

Not sure, but to give you an idea, Terminator is one of my favorite dark movies, and it does it without heaps of special effects. That kind of feel is what I'm looking for.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Waterworld, The Postman, you really can't go wrong with Kevin Costner.

Dentata

Reaction score
Road Warrior is ace. Post-apoc though. I've heard Hardware is pretty good, but I haven't seen it myself yet. It's been sitting on my hard drive for a couple weeks waiting for me. If you'll settle for dystopian rather than apocalyptic, Escape from New York is a lot of fun. 12 Monkeys is good.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Children of Men, T2, Sunshine. Of course they don't all end in disaster, but it looks pretty bleak throughout ; )

Oh, and Sin City just 'cuz it's damn awesome

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse - I Am Legend - Mars Attacks!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Children of Men, T2, Sunshine. Of course they don't all end in disaster, but it looks pretty bleak throughout ; ) Oh, and Sin City just 'cuz it's damn awesome
Sunshine
was really good up until the third act when the nude guy was running around the ship.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't post-apocalyptic always apocalyptic since the remaining survivors after the apocalypse are always on the brink of being wiped out all together? In that vein, The Matrix is obviously post-apocalyptic but every instance of it is dominated by the more apocalyptic.

What's that movie with the dead-walkers with Vingh Rames and the crew? I think that's the only apocalyptic movie I've personally seen which ends with everyone dying - it's a complete apocalypse (unless there's a part 2 I don't know about).

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Isn't post-apocalyptic always apocalyptic since the remaining survivors after the apocalypse are always on the brink of being wiped out all together? In that vein, The Matrix is obviously post-apocalyptic but every instance of it is dominated by the more apocalyptic.

What's that movie with the dead-walkers with Vingh Rames and the crew? I think that's the only apocalyptic movie I've personally seen which ends with everyone dying - it's a complete apocalypse (unless there's a part 2 I don't know about).

Not the one where they leave one place on a sailboat, only to land on a small island and be attacked by more zombies at the dock? If that what I'm thinking of, yea they all must die, right?

Oh, 28 Days Later.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to see a movie that is based around the apocalyptic event. As an analog, think of a movie about Hiroshima - calm before the storm, event, and immediate aftermath. Not so interested in a movie that explores the post-apocalyptic world by focusing on survivors primarily in the long-term aftermath.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Cloverfield

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads