• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wall St. observation

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After working on Wall St. for a few years in different capacities, I am still amazed at the poor dress of most of my colleagues. I am convinced as part of your signing bonus, you receive a pair of Gucci loafers and an Hermes tie. Or maybe that is what they give you the first day you start. It is not for the lack of money so will this trend end? Anyone else observe this?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
After working on Wall St. for a few years in different capacities, I am still amazed at the poor dress of most of my colleagues. I am convinced as part of your signing bonus, you receive a pair of Gucci loafers and an Hermes tie. Or maybe that is what they give you the first day you start. It is not for the lack of money so will this trend end? Anyone else observe this?

Absolutely. I wrote something a couple days ago about this. It is "adventurous" to wear brown shoes in my firm or any tie that's not Hermes or Ferragamo... Just sad.
bored.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith

Yes and you have to put it in the context of the "sheep mentality" that pervades everything and everyone on Wall Street.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though the Hermes Tie and Gucci horsebit loafers are the classic example given of Wall Street dress, I think that your observation is more of cliche grounded in the 80's than representative of what people wear today.

Yea you'll still see the occasional Bonfire of the Vanities era rig but head-to-toe Brooks Brothers is far more common nowadays.

Morris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Though the Hermes Tie and Gucci horsebit loafers are the classic example given of Wall Street dress, I think that your observation is more of cliche grounded in the 80's than representative of what people wear today.

Yea you'll still see the occasional Bonfire of the Vanities era rig but head-to-toe Brooks Brothers is far more common nowadays.

Brooks is becoming more of a default position. Although it too many of my colleagues are lemmings when it comes to Hermes. For those who can't afford Hermes, they move to Ferragamo ties. When I wear offerings from Drakes, T&A, Zenga, etc. it's as if they discovered an entire new world.

Still, every great moon you will see the full on Gekko look, replete with gelled hair, loud braces, white collar and cuffs, etc.

I would say 98% have no idea about JL, EG, Cleverley, C&J.

I actually see these more than the horsebit, particularly among the younger set. Not my taste.

SFN3768_mn.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian

It is absolutely representative of what people wear in my firm. The uniform is: Navy BB suit (jacket 2-4" too big, sleeves too long, pants break too long, deformed pockets) + Hermes/Ferragamo tie + black wingtips Mon-Thu, Gucci loafers on Fri.

I'm talking about bankers though, not traders. S&T people have a different style.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see it several times a day in the lobby, bankers with suits and Gucci loafers. S&T all the time, but the bankers still give me a chuckle with their "uniforms."

alflauren

Reaction score
douglas2.jpg

Speaking of Mr. Gekko, I can't find a pic online, but in the movie he wears a shirt with a rounded collar. Maybe that was an 80s thing, but I think that's pretty adventurous.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called a club collar. It's a classic look. Not sure if it was popular in the 80s

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Yes and you have to put it in the context of the "sheep mentality" that pervades everything and everyone on Wall Street.

Though, you have to admit, there is quite a sheep mentality on this forum and that other forum as well.
wow.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Owen
I agree.

For exemple everybody feels obliged to say that Carlo's ties are stunning while they are ugly.

They may be good quality but they remain ugly.

Personally I like Carlo's ties (or at least the one tie that I have), but there are other things that people shill for a lot on here that I really don't care for. For example, those ugly Chukka boots that people keep posting about or excessive waist suppression.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did this thread turn into an exercise of calling anything that's not one's taste "ugly"?
bored.gif
dozingoff.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why did this thread turn into an exercise of calling anything that's not one's taste "ugly"?
bored.gif
dozingoff.gif

What's wrong with calling things ugly if you think they're ugly?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Personally I like Carlo's ties (or at least the one tie that I have), but there are other things that people shill for a lot on here that I really don't care for. For example, those ugly Chukka boots that people keep posting about or excessive waist suppression.

I like Gekko.

I like Franco.

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
It's called a club collar. It's a classic look. Not sure if it was popular in the 80s

Thanks for the term. I have seen similar collars, but they usually have eyelets in them. This is one of the collars that is available from mytailor.com:

12_b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads