• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can we please agree on blazer terminology?

kannoos

Reaction score
Is this really so hard?

This is a blazer:
27wvew4.jpg

This is also a blazer
2nur7me.jpg

This is a [civilian] reefer jacket
jze8uf.jpg

This is just an odd navy jacket with brass (?) buttons
el8gub.jpg

kannoos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think a blazer is a solid color and sport coat is patterned and/or tweed
See the second image I posted. Blazers are distinctive SB jackets that mark you as a member of a school, club, team or organisation. They are often vividly patterned, but can also be fairly plain (usually the case for school uniforms) in the organisation's main colour, with features like piping and a crest on the breast pocket.

kannoos

Reaction score
I'm sure this point has been made before, but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to it, so I thought I would make one. The term blazer is being widely misused.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think a blazer is a solid color and sport coat is patterned and/or tweed

-1. This is incorrect.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kannoos
See the second image I posted. Blazers are distinctive SB jackets that mark you as a member of a school, club, team or organisation. They are often vividly patterned, but can also be fairly plain (usually the case for school uniforms) in the organisation's main colour, with features like piping and a crest on the breast pocket.
That is the classical definition, but the term is being misused much more badly than you've indicated. I hear people all the time using it interchangeably with sportcoat and odd jacket... maybe not so much on this forum, but definitely in public. If you can get people to restrict themselves to using it only for SB jackets in navy or stripes, with patch pockets and/or metal buttons then that would already be improvement...

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Words evolve and take one new meanings.
By posting a thread on an internet forum trying to correct the world with a historical, if not slightly antiquated definition of the word isn't going to change anything.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wish we could settle on terminology for what is worn down below: pants, trousers, slacks, or skirt?

- B

kannoos

Reaction score
Well, I was just aiming to get people on SF to use the correct terminology. And it's not just because it's correct, or because I like clinging to antiquated definitions. It's because it makes sense. The term blazer has become ambiguous because it can refer to three completely different things - traditional blazers, reefer jackets and single breasted versions thereof. It would be sensible to use more accurate terms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics