• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Lasts - Comparison

osc

Reaction score
For all those who don't have the luxury of having all the AE last styles available at a store nearby (including me), I'd like try and gauge your last comparison experiences to help understand and order the styles I like from AE. I realize that each one of us will have a difference reference point, but, if accurate, the experiences should show last differences through a common reoccuring theme

For example:
Welted Last 0 (000) - 8.5D Length: Perfect | Width : Snug (Soho)
Welted Last 5 (65) - 8.5D Length : A hint longer | Width: Snug (PA)
Welted Last 8 (108) - 8.5D Length : ??? | Width : ??? (Hale) <--- This is the one I am interested in
---
If you recall, please feel free to post your last and sizing experiences...
If this info is already available, feel free to let me know where (yes, I did try a search)
nest.gif

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
This is from the AE site--

Achieving the Perfect Fit

With sizes from 6 to 16 and widths from AAA to EEE, Allen Edmonds offers one of the most extensive selections of footwear in the world. While you probably know your usual shoe size, an understanding of lasts can help you achieve an even better fit.
Lasts
Part of what makes Allen Edmonds footwear so unique is related to the wide variety of lasts we use. Lasts are foot-shaped forms that provide shoemakers with the basis for building a shoe. By selecting shoes manufactured on the last that most resembles the contours of one's feet, customers will achieve a superior fit.

Goodyear Welted Styles
There are ten different lasts used to manufacture our welted footwear, or those styles designated by a four-digit number. The last number is the same as the style's final digit.

0 Last (000)
A more pronounced cone and elongated forpart with a subtly clipped toe create a sleek silhouette.
Top Sellers: Evanston, Manhattan, Berkley, Bel Air
1 Last (511)
Similar to the 7 Last from heel to the ball of the foot, yet with a more rounded, fuller fitting toe.
Top Sellers: Leeds, Wilbert, Shelton, Bradley
2 Last (692)
A square toe last with a more pronounced cone. Developed to accommodate a PORONÂ
00ae.png
cushion inner sole.
Top Sellers: Perry, Warren
5 Last (65)
This is the longest in length of all of our lasts; best for a long, narrow foot.
Top Sellers: Park Avenue
6 Last (206)
A long, sleek last similar to the 8 (108) last, but with a narrower heel for a closer fit.
Top Sellers: Leyland
7 Last (97)
Best fit for the average foot; similar to the 3 Last but lays flatter in the toe area.
Top Sellers: Grayson, MacNeil
8 Last (108)
Elongated forepart with a tapered and flatter toe; similar to the 2 last.
Top Sellers: Thayer, Hale, Delray, Clifton Ashton
8 Last (678)
Modeled after the 7 last, but with a fuller squared-off toe. A good fitting last that is built with additional depth to accommodate Allen Edmonds removable orthotic.
Top Sellers: Ashton
9 Last (79)
Tapered back portion pushes the foot forward to fit low across the top of the foot rather than the instep.
Top Sellers: Randolph, Cody

Athleisure Styles
All of our sophisticated athletic-inspired Athleisure styles are manufactured on one last.

Athleisure Last (708)
An elongated forpart and low profile enhance the comfort features.
Top Sellers: Peyton

Handsewn Styles
Handsewn Styles are constructed on one of six lasts. Look below to find the characteristics of each last.

Handsewn Last (114)
Semi-round toe handsewn last. Shorter to reduce slipping in the heel and gapping in the sides.
Top Sellers: Walden, Nashua, Maxfield, Stowe, Holton Handsewn Last (145)
Tapered, square toe handsewn last with an elongated forpart; fuller fitting.
Top Sellers: Hamlin, Burke
Handsewn Last (800)
A classic handsewn last with a semi-rounded toe and roomier instep; longer forepart than the 555 or 114 lasts.
Top Sellers: Hampton Handsewn Last (1005)
An updated look on our classic handsewn last. A longer forpart and low profile create a perfect fit.
Top Sellers: Campbell, Alton
Handsewn Last (2592)
A rounder, fuller toe handsewn. 1/8" longer than the 114 last to accommodate a fuller sock liner with heel-to-toe padding.
Top Sellers: Eastport

osc

Reaction score
^ thanks - I read about this prior to posting but felt that their descriptions didn't cover what the main size (length/width differences) are. For example: differences between Last 0 and 2.

goodall

Reaction score
You mention being interested in the 8 last. Most of my AEs on are on the 5 last which fits me best. In the 5, I take a 9C. In the 8 (Del Ray) I take a 9.5 C. AE's description of the 9 last is right on. In my Randolphs I do feel like my foot is being pushed forward but they don't slip even with my narrow heel.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump a AE thread, but I was wondering about last 7. I own 5th avenues and park avenues (Size 8.5 e) and was thinking of getting the AE Macneil in size 9. Will these work since they seem to be a bit wider?

CTYGGG

Reaction score
I have the Strand (5 last) and I ordered my MacNeil (7 last) in my regular size and it fits great. There is padding on the sides of the MacNeil which make the shoe extra comfy and I love the double oak. The MacNeil is a truly classic American shoe.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
I just bought my first AEs, Walnut 5th Ave. and am now excited about buying more. I wear a 10 b/c in most shoes but the #5 last put me in a 9.5 D. I was a little concerned about crowding so I moved up to a 10C, the 10B was fairly tight. I will see how it works out once they are broken in a little. I don't have the luxury of trying on different last types with no store near me. I am finding some great deals on eBay but don't want to get something that doesn't fit properly. So, PLEASE anyone that has multiple AEs with different lasts tell us about your size and fit. THANKS!!!

csc67

Reaction score
I currently own the AE Ashland (last 4) and Chester (last 3) in 8D - Both of these lasts are the widest in the ball/toe area - I recently ordered the Strand in a 8D which was way too tight, then tried a 8D in the McNeil, which was also tight. Really wanted the Strand and someone suggested I try a 1/2 size smaller and 1 size wider since the strand last (# 5) is long and narrow - The 7.5E Strands are a perfect fit.

Allen Edmonds does free returns which is perfect is you don't have a store near you

Hope this helps

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csc67
I currently own the AE Ashland (last 4) and Chester (last 3) in 8D - Both of these lasts are the widest in the ball/toe area - I recently ordered the Strand in a 8D which was way too tight, then tried a 8D in the McNeil, which was also tight. Really wanted the Strand and someone suggested I try a 1/2 size smaller and 1 size wider since the strand last (# 5) is long and narrow - The 7.5E Strands are a perfect fit.

Allen Edmonds does free returns which is perfect is you don't have a store near you

Hope this helps

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. The AE site explains about the fit but doesn't really compare the lasts. I was hoping I could find a site/blog that would give a side by side comparison that would say something like this:

10c in last 5 woud be ~9.5a in #3, 10b/c in #7...

I also like personal input as th fit in the store isn't how it fits after break-in. I did return my AE Park Aves as I went a little too narrow and ended up finding a better deal online with the knowledge of the correct width allowing me to get what I really wanted, Walnu 5th Aves. There are some good/great deals on eBay and this site if you know what will work in the different lasts, hense my request for info.

Thanks again!

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
I'm in need of a sizing recommendation. I currently own AEs on the 1,5, and 8 last. All are 8.5D. My 8 last shoes (Hale, Delray, Thayer) fit the best. The 1s are a touch roomy but still comfortable. Actually, it works well because the shoes I have on the 1 are best with casual socks (Stanford chukkas, Wilberts). As for the 5s, I own a Park Avenue and recently attempted to buy Strands but sent them back becuase of defects. The PA fits ok but not great. It's clearly as described: long and narrow. It's hard to close the lacing as much as I would like, and they are snug on the middle part of the foot while being relatively loose in the back and up front. The PAs are not uncomfortable, but they don't fit as well as the 8, and I'm wondering if I should experiment with different sizing. What happens if I went to an 8E? Or do I try an 8.5E?

csc67

Reaction score
I own three pairs of AE's (Chester on last # 3 size 8D, Ashland on last # 4 size 8D / Strand on last # 5 size 7.5E). The Chester and Ashland's are roomy in the toe area and the Strands are comfortably snug. I would suggest that you get a 1/2 size smaller and another width wider since the AE 5 last is long and narrow

Commisar

Reaction score
I own three pairs of AE's (Chester on last # 3 size 8D, Ashland on last # 4 size 8D / Strand on last # 5 size 7.5E). The Chester and Ashland's are roomy in the toe area and the Strands are comfortably snug. I would suggest that you get a 1/2 size smaller and another width wider since the AE 5 last is long and narrow
Necropost, but I've heard this multiple times and it seems to be true for me in 65 last AEs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads