• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy first car. Recc one under 15k

kakemono

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
7th and 8th gen Subaru WRXs can be had within your price/milage limits, those are fun cars and reliable too.

This. I greatly second this notion.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why someone on a budget, with little income, would want to own a luxury car defies the imagination. You don't have money but are attempting to create the appearance of it. This is something a person from New Jersey would do. Be intelligent and buy something sensible that comes in under budget. Don't spend on a second hand luxury car that can easily turn into a litany of liabilities for you. Leave luxury purchases for when it would actually make sense financially, and by extension, when you wouldn't look like a douchebag poser for having one.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Why someone on a budget, with little income, would want to own a luxury car defies the imagination. You don't have money but are attempting to create the appearance of it. This is something a person from New Jersey would do. Be intelligent and buy something sensible that comes in under budget. Don't spend on a second hand luxury car that can easily turn into a litany of liabilities for you. Leave luxury purchases for when it would actually make sense financially, and by extension, when you wouldn't look like a douchebag poser for having one.

+1000 & Lulz on the "something a person from New Jersey would do" comment.

Look, for under $10,000 you can pick up a good, reliable used Honda Civic. Now you've got an extra $5000 to spend on a motorcycle.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why someone on a budget, with little income, would want to own a luxury car defies the imagination. You don't have money but are attempting to create the appearance of it. This is something a person from New Jersey would do.

I laughed out loud. Your posts have been on-point and hilarious lately.

holyhotdamn

Reaction score
Look, do yourself a favor and buy a decent mini s with anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 miles on it. I have one, get the manual... automatics are for girls and men who wear panties. It is fast, fun, reliable and I average over 30 mpg overall.

or

Buy a golf gti, another great car. The dsg gearbox is fantastic, again great reliability and gas mileage.

or

A few years old mazdaspeed 6, not many made, but those that were were awesome cars. They can be had for a decent amount of money. Not the best gas mileage, but a mechanic can take the limitor off and you can easily pull 170 on the highway. Great handling, although it is not a gokart like the other two cars I mentioned.

DBoon

Reaction score
+1 on the absurdity of looking at Infinity G35, BMW 3s, Audi etc. with a $15k budget...

+1 on get a damn manual car

+1 on mini s, golf gti

Do yourself a favor and buy an early 2000s Civic or Jetta if you never want to do anything beyond scheduled maintenance and oil changes, which you wont as a student

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I might be wrong about the Jags as I am just talking about what I've heard and haven't owned one/known any one with one. As far as the repairs though on luxury cars go, repair bills like $2K+ are not uncommon at all. My 3 is an 03 and has a few $2k+ bills already, and it only has 108K on it. I think around 03-04 Maxima started slipping I think, but I think I might be talking out ******... worth researching
3 series is a luxury car now? "Only" 108? Hell, I have 37K on my '06 ZHP and it's getting into clunker territory for me. To the OP, Recommend a new 328i lease. I don't understand why people keep old cars and sink money into them with no return. I hope you are repairing your 3 at an independent and not getting raped at the dealer.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.
Originally Posted by holyhotdamn
Buy a golf gti, another great car. The dsg gearbox is fantastic, again great reliability and gas mileage.
Public service announcement: this is how you know not to listen to anything this man says.
Originally Posted by username79
3 series is a luxury car now? "Only" 108? Hell, I have 37K on my '06 ZHP and it's getting into clunker territory for me. To the OP, Recommend a new 328i lease. I don't understand why people keep old cars and sink money into them with no return. I hope you are repairing your 3 at an independent and not getting raped at the dealer.
Die in a fire.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I can understand being a prick on these forums, but coming from a guy with a Lil Wayne avatar ....
lol8[1].gif

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Get a Used 2002-05 Civic Si. They can be had at for just under 10K, and you can use the rest of your budget for all the other costs of owning a car you aren't ready for.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 series is a luxury car now? "Only" 108? Hell, I have 37K on my '06 ZHP and it's getting into clunker territory for me.

3 series is not a luxury car? I realize it's at the lower end of BMW's spectrum, but that spectrum has a mighty costly entry ticket, and the rides are all pretty damned sweet.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
3 series is a waste of money anyway, There are so many better options at that price point. I can't stand how many posers my age(I'm 17) parents bought them c300s and low end beamers just so they could have the badge and not have any clue about what they purchased.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
3 series is a waste of money anyway, There are so many better options at that price point. I can't stand how many posers my age(I'm 17) parents bought them c300s and low end beamers just so they could have the badge and not have any clue about what they purchased.
3's are really nice cars and are not in the same market of larger 5's and 7's... there's a reason they won car and driver's 10 best repeatedly. If you want to compare them to G35s, etc. you probably have never driven either. If I were to buy a new car today, I would admittedly purchase a Lexus as my taste has changed. A Lexus is certainly not a replacement for a BMW, if you want a car that drives like a 3 you have to buy one. The new C's are actually nice cars BTW, the last generation was total junk though.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
You are a mongoloid idiot! Do you even have a license? What is better than the 3 series in its price point? C300 = Horrible turd. 3 series = Some of the best balanced, performing, and handling cars on the road. Textbook examples of good engineering and the benchmark for combining driving involvement with comfort and usability. Recognized by drivers and the automotive press and the standard to judge all other cars including those at double its price point (example 335i). What the ****, exactly, are you talking about?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I can understand being a prick on these forums, but coming from a guy with a Lil Wayne avatar ....
lol8[1].gif

I wasn't trying to be a prick. 3-series is a compact sub-luxury sport sedan/coupe. I went through the "keep out of warranty and pay out the ass for maintenance" thing with my first few cars and I now realize how stupid that was. BMW is offering excellent lease rates and selling cars for at (without negotiation) or under invoice depending on model. OP could be in a 328 for around ~$400-500/mo with no money down. No maintenance costs and a 4yr bumper-to-bumper warranty. I would rather pay $450/mo., invest the remainder of my money wisely, incur no other costs, and drive one of the best cars on the road with all the latest technology, safety features, and slick 6sp manual, than write a check of $12,000 for a used beater Civic/Mazda/GTI(wtf? fail car) with a history unknown to me and potential maintenance costs. For example, I had a friend who several years back thought he had a great deal on a 2001 Integra with 16K miles on it for 14,000. He did not discover that it had been flipped in a severe accident and shoddily repaired until he was himself involved in a minor accident in it. No thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics