• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nominations for Top 5 lists

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an open solicitation. At the end of the week, I'll put up a pull. After I get back from Capsule completely trashed, I'll take the poll as a guide, consult with some of the more knowledgeable members, and posts some detailed lists. Please note that lists will, as usual, reflect the diversity of the readership, so it will be highly ecumenical.

Categories are:
1. Best jeans
2. Best outerwear
3. Best sweaters and other knitwear
4. Best accessories
5. Best sneakers
6. Best footwear (non-sneakers)
7. Best manbags.

Please feel free to nominate new categories as well.

Cheers,

Fok.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it might be good to divide "footwear" into one category each for shoes and boots. also a separate category specifically for leathers

edit: also best dress shirts/oxfords

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to nominate fuel star for all sections as well as h&m, gap, and br

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My nominations for the top 5 jeans sold in 2010, all of which are still readily available. I'm going to stay away from limited editions and excessively expensive models (i.e. 45RPM Jomon) for the purposes of this poll. 1. Studio D'Artisan SD-103- Neither too slim nor too loose, the SD-103 is a versatile cut that looks good on a variety of different body types. The denim is tightly woven and durable, and, at 15 oz., it's heavy enough to satisfy denim enthusiasts yet not so heavy to seem daunting to more casual wearers. The construction of this jean is arguably the most flawless of the high end Japanese denim brands as well. This jean is also the lowest priced model on this list, with a US MSRP of $265. 2. Iron Heart 634S- Cut is somewhat similar to #1 on this list, but with a slightly higher rise. What makes this model stand out aside from its versatility in fit is its denim. The Iron Heart flagship denim used here is the heaviest of my nominees at 21 oz., but it's also the softest, most breathable, and most wearer-friendly heavyweight denim in existence. Construction is arguably the most durable of any jean out there. It is also sanforized, for those who struggle with sizing on shrink-to-fit denim. 3. Rising Sun & Co. Standard- Although the name might imply otherwise, this jean is 100% made in the USA and uses Cone Mills denim. Another great, versatile cut that is neither too slim nor too loose, the RS Standard has the lightest weight denim of my nominees at 12.5 oz., so it can be worn year round. The handmade details on this model are incredible, but you do pay for them; at $350 MSRP, it is the most expensive jean on this list. Like #2 on the list, the RS Standard is sanforized. 4. Samurai S5000VX- This model is probably the loosest cut of all on my list, but not by much, and I really feel that it deserves to be here for 2 reasons: sizing versatility and cosmetic excellence. Due in part to the great stretching ability of Samurai's 17 oz. Zero denim, the S5000 cut can be sized up and down better than just about any other jean that I can think of in order to achieve the type of fit one might want with that cut. Like other Samurai jeans, the cosmetic details are unparalleled, from the creatively colored selvage ID to the fact that every button and every rivet, front and back, is artistically engraved. 5. ROY RS-1- Like #3, the ROY RS-1 is 100% handmade in the USA and uses 14 oz. unsanforized Cone Mills denim, so it can be worn almost year round. The handmade details on this one are amazing as well, from the shell-stitched fly to the belt loops sewn into the waistband. Although there was some controversy surrounding a price increase from this company earlier this year, it still clocks in as the second-least expensive jean on this list ($275 MSRP).

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ leather outer, winter boots and watch

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i thought about the watch too but then i thought its really an accessory. i dont know if he is going to give a better definition of accessory.

if he adds a watch category some recently turned me on to the sinn 656 so thats my vote for best watch. i know its not THE BEST out there but it has such a great classic style, its built like a ******* tank and it doesnt cost as much as a new car. so there!

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the list for brands or specific pieces?

If it's the former, here are a few suggestions. Unfortunately, some brands are now defunct or dormant.

Best jeans:

Nom de Guerre
5EP

Best outerwear:

Nigel Cabourn
Krane
Engineered Garments
Nom de Guerre

Best shoes:

Tricker's
Alden
Grenson

Best accessories:

Drakes
Dents

Best manbags:

Filson
Krane

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i think its specific pieces. your list of brands is a good one.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ JL, he's asking for list categories, not list items.
wink.gif
EDIT: Pwned by mod.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
i think its specific pieces. your list of brands is a good one.
Originally Posted by ahjota
^^ JL, he's asking for list categories, not list items.
wink.gif

I'm looking for either specific items, or for categories (eg. button down shirts, something I never wear) that I may have forgotten. And only stuff that is still being produced.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope, at least for manbags, that it's going to be more creative than "OMG FILSON FILSON FILSON!!!"

I'll throw a few in later, but will let others see what they can come up with. I'm about manbag'd out from about 500 posts on the manbag thread. As well, there are lots of new and interesting brands out there that I hope some others will chime in on (especially American brands)

Dexx

Reaction score
Shoes: Quarvif, Santoni

Boots: Shoto

Sneaker: Clae

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm looking for either specific items, or for categories (eg. button down shirts, something I never wear) that I may have forgotten. And only stuff that is still being produced.

Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
My nominations for the top 5 jeans sold in 2010, all of which are still readily available. I'm going to stay away from limited editions and excessively expensive models (i.e. 45RPM Jomon) for the purposes of this poll.

1. Studio D'Artisan SD-103- Neither too slim nor too loose, the SD-103 is a versatile cut that looks good on a variety of different body types. The denim is tightly woven and durable, and, at 15 oz., it's heavy enough to satisfy denim enthusiasts yet not so heavy to seem daunting to more casual wearers. The construction of this jean is arguably the most flawless of the high end Japanese denim brands as well. This jean is also the lowest priced model on this list, with a US MSRP of $265.

2. Iron Heart 634S- Cut is somewhat similar to #1 on this list, but with a slightly higher rise. What makes this model stand out aside from its versatility in fit is its denim. The Iron Heart flagship denim used here is the heaviest of my nominees at 21 oz., but it's also the softest, most breathable, and most wearer-friendly heavyweight denim in existence. Construction is arguably the most durable of any jean out there. It is also sanforized, for those who struggle with sizing on shrink-to-fit denim.

3. Rising Sun & Co. Standard- Although the name might imply otherwise, this jean is 100% made in the USA and uses Cone Mills denim. Another great, versatile cut that is neither too slim nor too loose, the RS Standard has the lightest weight denim of my nominees at 12.5 oz., so it can be worn year round. The handmade details on this model are incredible, but you do pay for them; at $350 MSRP, it is the most expensive jean on this list. Like #2 on the list, the RS Standard is sanforized.

4. Samurai S5000VX- This model is probably the loosest cut of all on my list, but not by much, and I really feel that it deserves to be here for 2 reasons: sizing versatility and cosmetic excellence. Due in part to the great stretching ability of Samurai's 17 oz. Zero denim, the S5000 cut can be sized up and down better than just about any other jean that I can think of in order to achieve the type of fit one might want with that cut. Like other Samurai jeans, the cosmetic details are unparalleled, from the creatively colored selvage ID to the fact that every button and every rivet, front and back, is artistically engraved.

5. ROY RS-1- Like #3, the ROY RS-1 is 100% handmade in the USA and uses 14 oz. unsanforized Cone Mills denim, so it can be worn almost year round. The handmade details on this one are amazing as well, from the shell-stitched fly to the belt loops sewn into the waistband. Although there was some controversy surrounding a price increase from this company earlier this year, it still clocks in as the second-least expensive jean on this list ($275 MSRP).

Fok, you seemed to like the descriptions for the nominees in the "Ten Best Jeans" thread, so I added descriptions for my nominees here.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
here is my list and possible nominees for each category. its really hard to narrow down just one specific piece so i included a couple pieces in many of these categories. the "best" is certainly relative and given that this is a style forum many of us are going to have different opinions on what that means. so i for one am very interested to see how this turns out and what others' come up with. when compiling my list i tried to figure out what would be best for both fashion nerds and common people alike. imo clothing should not only be stylish but also practical. so here goes ... best jeans = samurai 710xx and sugarcane 1947
af5996fcd6823d6f79efebf8c46c2522.jpg
8f788b6d6bbf0e9e678ff4639a3d4027.jpg
-the samurai 710xx is a slim jean. but what sets this apart from many other slim jeans is its a mid-rise slim cut. imo, this particular cut will appeal to those people who desire a flattering fit but one that doesnt sit low on the waist. the denim is heavy and has a great feel. in many areas this could easily be worn year round. -i included the sugarcane 47 simply because i think it would appeal to just about everyone. its a straight or regular cut combined with a flattering top-block. imo this jean can be worn by someone who is 16 or 60 with ease. the denim is double ring spun and currently is a zimb/usa cotton blend. best outerwear = monitaly mountain parka and canada goose chilliwack parka
862.jpg
fc25ede5345340e0be8004067ba29e25.jpg
-i chose the monitaly because of its classic style combined with some of the finest construction you will find in a jacket. this is one of those pieces that you can easily own for decades. -the cg is on my list because its practical and will likely appeal to the masses. its stylish but not to forward. best sweaters and other knitwear = engineered garments shawl collar knit
l_9400_1.jpg
-they are so many great sweaters and knits out there its very difficult to pick just one. i ultimately picked the eg because i felt it is the most practical and would be a great addition to anyones wardrobe. its warm by itself but can also be used as a layering piece. best accessories = ts(s) reversible jacquard plaid scarf and sinn 656 watch
1717_back.jpg
656SBrac.jpg
-the ts(s) scarf is by takuji suzuki and i love the patterns. lets face it, we can all use a scarf so why not make it reversible? its high quality, well designed and one of those pieces that would work with just about anything. it is, however, very expensive. -we all need a watch so i tried to find one that had a classic design, solid constructed and would cost less then a fully loaded hyundai. best sneakers = pass. im not a big sneaker person. best footwear (non-sneakers) = yuketen cordovan penny loafer and oak street bootmaker trail oxford w/ camp sole
Yuketen_05015m_Penny_Loafer_Cordovan_Loden_Green.jpg
moc-blue.jpg
-the penny loafer is one of those shoes you can wear with anything. you can dress them up or wear with a pair of jeans for a more casual look. these are timeless design and would be a great addition to any wardrobe. the yuketen cordovan loafer comes in many colors and if you take care of the leather not only will it last forever but it will look better with time. this is a very expensive shoe but if you consider you will likely get at least 15 years of wear out of them they will cost ~ $50/yr (minus the cost to re-sole them each year). -oak street bootmaker's is a fairly new company that makes some of the finest casual footwear i have come across. the trail oxford is hand made from top to bottom. the upper is made from chromexcel leather, which is buttery soft, long-lasting and wears beautifully. you can wear these with chinos, jeans or shorts. if i was stuck on an island and had to take one shoe this would be it. it will easily last 7 years with proper care and upkeep. best manbags = yuketen vintage english bag
Yuketen_7224_Vintage_English_Bag_Vintage_Peanut.jpg
-this is a very stylish and versatile bag, which will carry your laptop, books, magazines, Appreciation collection, etc. it has both a handle and over-strap so you can use it as a briefcase or messenger bag. top notch leather and construction will allow you to pass this down for generations.

East2West

Reaction score
Can you split accessories in to multiple categories (leather, metal, cold weather)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics