• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Chic

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^I would take that as a sign to burn my clothes if people who know nothing about style said that to me.

So, how's that Pallin campaign going ten, guvnah?
laugh.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's all about how you put it together and carry it off. Jet'll learn that, I'm sure.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Perhaps you should post up so I can learn.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Perhaps you should behave yourself. This is my thread.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Perfect, you stay here and don't post in any other thread and I'll stay out of this one.

You can discuss generic mall brand converyor belt fashion to all your heart's content.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it just me or does everyone on SF have a stick up their ass these days?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Those people belong on honestforum.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robert, you really need to post some fits in WAYWT. Block out your face if you need to be anonymous. It makes it weird to debate with you if you don't post fits.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Robert, you really need to post some fits in WAYWT. Block out your face if you need to be anonymous. It makes it weird to debate with you if you don't post fits.

I'll see what I can do. I feel weird about doing that kind of thing though.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^Those people belong on honestforum.

And some people need to seriously lighten up and get over themselves.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Perfect, you stay here and don't post in any other thread and I'll stay out of this one.

You can discuss generic mall brand converyor belt fashion to all your heart's content.

I'm not saying you can't post here. Just be civil when you do, my dear friend.

And besides, what the hell's wrong with generic mall brand converyor belt fashion exactly? We live in a generic conveyor belt world. Why not dress accordingly?

I'm being facetious, of course. At the same time, I think you're being a little extremist in your dismissal. If I had the means (monetary and accessibility) to much more than that, don't you think I would? We can all only do the best we can, and for me, that means seeking out the best quality I can find in places like convery-belt malls and your generic downtown main street. If there's something inherently wrong with that, well, I guess I figure it's the least of my worries.

As an alternative, I'm certain I could afford to buy high-end pieces if I stuck to just one or two clothing purchases every year. At the end of 15 or 20 years, I might then have a decent collection of basics. But I guess I don't see the point in buying something like an 1,800 USD Tom Ford shawl collar cardigan, as an example, and then in the meantime going around in rags for pants and shirts, especially when I can find a very serviceable cardigan at J. Crew or Banana for 200.

But you know, whatever.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I'm not saying you can't post here. Just be civil when you do, my dear friend.

And besides, what the hell's wrong with generic mall brand converyor belt fashion exactly? We live in a generic conveyor belt world. Why not dress accordingly?

I'm being facetious, of course. At the same time, I think you're being a little extremist in your dismissal. If I had the means (monetary and accessibility) to much more than that, don't you think I would? We can all only do the best we can, and for me, that means seeking out the best quality I can find in places like convery-belt malls and your generic downtown main street. If there's something inherently wrong with that, well, I guess I figure it's the least of my worries.

As an alternative, I'm certain I could afford to buy high-end pieces if I stuck to just one or two clothing purchases every year. At the end of 15 or 20 years, I might then have a decent collection of basics. But I guess I don't see the point in buying something like an 1,800 USD Tom Ford shawl collar cardigan, as an example, and then in the meantime going around in rags for pants and shirts, especially when I can find a very serviceable cardigan at J. Crew or Banana for 200.

But you know, whatever.

You know you can pull mid end brands and occasionally high end brands at deep sale, 2nd hand for the same price as mall brand retail or only very slightly more, right? That's how i roll as i don't have much cash flow.

I'm not as dismissive as jet, but just because our society operates a certain way, doesn't mean i have to. Some people treat this forum and clothing in general as a way to get girls, to blend into the crowd, or some to actually express themselves, have fun, be a bit "different", whatever. Some are perfectly happy looking like joe everyman in his banana sweater, chinos and brown shoes, others (like myself) would feel very constricted, and repressed. Mainly, I gotsta have me some fun

Also, hahahahahahhaa. You really buy $200 banana republic cardigans? C'mon, man. You can definitely work your $200 better

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^Those people belong on topicstyle.

FTFY.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
Also, hahahahahahhaa. You really buy $200 banana republic cardigans? C'mon, man. You can definitely work your $200 better

What he said. A thousands times over.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, hahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha, not 200. Just using that as an example. I guess it was maybe J. Crew where I once blew about 150 on a cardigan. But I felt and still feel it was worth it. My God, you guys really take every opportunity to slam a guy. I've never paid more than around 60 bucks for a BR sweater.

I still say you can be individualistic without having to shop high-end, though. And yeah, thanks, I'm aware of how to find the discounted stuff.

And why are you assuming I'm just wanting to be average and not have fun" Just because I choose not to wear what may look good on a lot of people in this forum? What if it's not what I'm comfortable with? I know what I feel comfortable in, and I know how far I can push it without looking or feeling ridiculous. That doesn't mean I'm not having fun.

And sometimes it is indeed individualistic and "fun" to construct a wardrobe that's a bit timeless and basic. I have never, even in my wildest college days, been much of a trendy when it comes to clothes. I've pretty much always felt that sticking to the basics is more "fun" and looks sharper.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
banana republic isn't timeless and basic. It's boring. I'm sorry. Unless you have some real swagger, creativity, and personal style (which most BR/jcrew shoppers don't have), you're going to look like boring joe six pack. Buying random crap from h&m/uniqlo/rugby won't do much either except give you different pieces. Gotsta learn some **** first. I understand a lot of people need to learn how to construct basic, solid fitting, albeit slightly boring fits before they "get it", but after you do, you're free to mess around. Yea, i have posted some slightly "different" (although not that much) fits the past few months, but still can put together **** like monday and yesterday if i feel like it. Post some fit pics and prove me wrong though. Also, did we just agree on something, whacked? You know this makes you a hipster by association now, right? The forum has gotten real weird the past week or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads