It’s well and truly wedding season, and our seasoned writers (some of whom are even married) have a few tips on how to succeed at not making a fool of yourself at the ceremony and after - unless that’s your goal, of course, in which case carry on.
Honorary newlywed Ben P has a host of tips that apply to grooms, groomsmen, and wedding-bound guys in general; David has some choice words on why you should do your best to look nice no matter what the dress code says; and Fok breaks down what, exactly, you should put on your body to prepare it for nuptials (and dancing, and the - hopefully - open bar). More questions? Subscribe to our Official Wedding Questions thread and get the best help the internet has to offer.
Check our primers (scroll down!) for more than you ever wanted to know about how to attend a wedding (or get hitched) in style - did you know that “wedding ties” are a real - and important - thing? No? You’re welcome. And whatever you do, don’t forget to dance with the children and grandparents.
Jasper Lipton, Editor-in-Chief
What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
By Ben P.
Getting married? Need to know what to do at a wedding? Ben P most certainly did look nice at his own occasion, and he came back with some great advice.
Featured this Month
Look Nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and why you should look your best at every wedding
By David Isle
You think you’re quirky? You think you’re special? Think again. If you don’t want to look back on those wedding photos and cringe, you’d better read this before you make a huge mistake.
Help! I need a suit!
By Fok-Yan Leung
Just what you need. Fok has some solid recommendations for men who just want to follow David’s advice and look damn good when it’s wedding season.
Five Shoes, Five Weddings: Carmina has a shoe for every occasion. Which shoe is best for your occasion? Shop the Carmina Store for Styleforum favorites and you’ll be ready for wedding season in no time.
Wedding Resources: Must-Reads for Every Styleforum Member
Styleforum hosts a selection of great Primers, all of which will be invaluable to any man struggling with wedding-day wardrobe choices:
- The Basics of Wedding Attire: just what it says on the tin. Start here.
- What Should I ask my Groomsmen to Wear? We’ve got you covered - and don’t worry, the suggestions apply to guests, too.
- What Kind of Tuxedo Should I Buy? You’ve got a black-tie wedding coming up and you barely even know what that means. Fear not - knowledge is the foundation of success.
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?, A.K.A. “How not to get strung along by salespeople.” What’s canvassing? What kind of fabric should I buy? Question, meet answer.
- The Official Wedding Question Thread, along with our wedding Primers, is required Styleforum reading. Ask your questions here, and get help from hundreds of helpful members. It’s a great thread, populated by great people.
Summer Travel in Review:
Styleforum visited both Pitti Uomo 88 and Tokyo in June. If you missed our coverage - or if you didn’t miss it but just want to read it all again (yeah, it’s that entertaining), check out all of our on-location articles:
Styleforum at Pitti Uomo 88 - Florence, peacocks, and sweaty dudes in 3-piece suits. Oh, and some of Styleforum’s most stylish members.
Styleforum in Japan - Shopping, clothing, food, and plenty of adventures (and even more pictures). Our motley crew saw some of the best that Tokyo has to offer.
Do us a solid and share with your friends, too - Styleforum loves company.
Enter the Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest!
Ready for wedding season? Submit your best photo by Monday, August 3rd, and win a Bauhaus Watch courtesy of Kent Wang. Click here for all the juicy details.