Wearing ugly or inappropriate shoes with your spiffy new wedding suit is like whiffing a penalty kick to lose a game-deciding shootout. Futbol at its worst. Here are a few suggestions for wedding shoes (and one bonus boot) that could save you from avoidable regret.
- You really can’t go wrong with a pair of well-shined, black captoe Balmorals. A great choice for any occasion. If you need something in a pinch, buy a pair and don’t look back.
- Brogued shoes - broguing being the intricate perforations on the upper of a pair of shoes - used to be considered country shoes, and the brogueing allowing water to drain out of your footwear after walks in the bog. This hasn’t been the case for a long time. Unless you are wearing a tuxedo or white tie, these are a good shoe choice.
- A wholecut is one of the most elegant shoes. Its lack of stitching (except at the heel) gives it a sleek, refined, appearance, and if the dress code dictates that you wear a tuxedo or dinner jacket, this is a good alternative to patent leather shoes (which are, frankly, hard to wear and harder to maintain) Cordovan is made from the butt of a horse, and the sheen is unmistakable.
- Once upon a time, brown shoes were frowned upon. I can’t even remember why. Brown shoes generally pair well with grey and with blue. This semi-brogue, which is a brogued shoe without extensions or wings, is a bit of a change-up from the sea of black shoes seen at most weddings.
- If you go deeper in the red spectrum, you get a more eye-catching shoe, like this semi-brogue in Bordeaux. There are worse ways to draw attention at weddings, as many of you doubtlessly know.
- Bonus! A sixth pair, just for you. It's not technically a shoe, and purists would not a approve, but I once saw a most killer pair of Chelsea boots worn with slim black jeans, a sportscoat and scarf. I suppose that purists would not have approved of the wedding at all, but a dismissive wave to them. It’s someone’s parade. There’s no need to rain on it.
We are proud to announce that Carmina will be an official affiliate vendor on Styleforum, and our members will have privilege of communication and working directly with Carmina.