1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Zuckerberg's Hoodie and what your clothing says about what you think of those around you

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, May 9, 2012.

1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

In regards to the "...what your clothing says..." conversation, I would like to add an observation about my work environment.

It appears most men at my job fail to achive even the most basic established dress code of "business casual". It would indicate to me that 1) They are "keeping it real" (AKA, not giving a f@ck). Or 2) They are woefully lacking in the ability to understand a simple dress code.

2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

i bet Zuck wishes he discovered Styleforum in college. then he would be dressing better than the Wall Street suits and creating new biz models to maximize his sales on B&S, instead of this "face book" garbage

1 person likes this.
  3. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

I don't think the hoodie has anything to do with the failure of the IPO in a causal sense, rather both are symptoms of the fact that this just isn't a guy to put that much money behind. Our group on SF saw this when we saw the hoodie while investors saw this once the stock came out. From now on, with every anticipated IPO I want to see a picture of the CEO of the company at the pre-IPO meeting to decide if I want to long or short the stock.

4. petalumasupply

petalumasupply Member

I think most people would agree that a hoodie probably wasn't the best choice of clothing. But then again the people who work at Facebook aren't most people and who are any of us to decide what's right for any of them to wear?

Taken from ABC News:

All Facebook employees are stock holders, Mitchell told Weir. So why isn’t he out buying a Ferrari?

“It’s not the company culture to go out and celebrate this type of stuff,” Mitchell said. “The culture of the company is very much of not showing off money, not being ostentatious but instead, really just making good products, and that comes from the top.”

Is it more important for Zuckerburg to impress "the people" by suiting up or to show the employees who built Facebook that even though they're all rich, its still important to remain grounded?

Zuckerburg has never been a suit and tie guy and has always remained one of the wealthiest men even before Facebook went public, so why change now?

However you didn't see him wearing a hoodie when he got married, the same week Facebook went public, did you? Yes, the undone top button and jacket were sloppy but he did make somewhat of an effort and suited up.

I'd say he has his priorities pretty well in check. A happy wife is a happy life and grounded employees are one of the keys to running a successful business.

5. atila

atila Well-Known Member

Hilarious to see several people trying to connect him wearing a hoodie as to why the stock has dropped the last two days. Instead of, you know, J.P. Morgan getting investigated for their underwriting of the Facebook IPO that has been under MAJOR scrutiny. It is valued at $28-31 and that is where it should have opened up to begin with.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Maybe he needs one of those slingshots made by that lost tribe of emos recently discovered in the Sierra Nevada.

http://www.petalumasupplyco.com/collections/just-in/products/wooden-slingshot

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. petalumasupply

petalumasupply Member

Possibly haha. I think it may have been the Miwok Tribe, although it's hard to tell at this point. I bet they're somewhere on Facebook.

8. TimelesStyle

Except it was Morgan Stanley that was lead left on the Facebook IPO, not JPM...

1 person likes this.
  9. duggyald

duggyald Well-Known Member

So true.

10. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

Zuckerberg is the kind of guy who doesn't need to suit up for work. He never attempted to be stylish then, why bother now? Even his wedding attire was understated. Maybe he just didn't need to flaunt all his wealth.

11. TimelesStyle

Showing up to a Wall Street pre-IPO meeting in a rumpled Jos. A Bank suit that doesn't really fit (a la Buffett) is understated and not flaunting you wealth. Showing up in a hooded sweatshirt that says "fuck you, I can behave however I want, I'm Mark Zuckerburg" is the exact opposite.

12. F. Corbera

13. TimelesStyle

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  14. F. Corbera

There's an old interview with Buffet where he mentions that he wore Oxxford, but OTR.

This was after his affair with Katherine Graham, but still when he had two concurrent wives ( de jure and de facto.)

Compared to such a pillar, Zuckerberg seems pretty boring with his one new college sweetheart née wife.

15. rm007

rm007 Member

that 's exaactly what he did -behaved like himself and dressed like himself, always the non-conformist.

16. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

And we can tell he is a non-conformist because he dresses like all the other non-conformists?

17. TimelesStyle

But, stylistically speaking, there are different "myselfs". Which one presents itself depends on what I deem appropriate. If I want others in a casual environment to feel comfortable around me I'll wear jeans. If I'm going to something important I'll don a suit. If I want to say a slight "fuck you" to folks I consider needlessly uptight I'll wear jeans and a sport coat when everyone else is in a suit.

18. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Well-Known Member

Exactly, this and the fact he's probably more comfortable in a hoodie. Not every business has to appear professional, my mum was disgusted when I bought some glasses from a company called "Specky Four Eyes" but if its cheap and their customer service is good who cares?