1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Zonkey Boot Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevent, Oct 12, 2013.

1. ecwy

ecwy Well-Known Member

Specifications:

Model: Art. ZB 154
    Leather: Navy Elephant
    Last: Parachute last in H width
    Welt: Chain Norvegese
    Sole: St Moritz sole
    Eyelets: Antique Brass

Ordered slightly before @ThunderMarch but had a slight delay which ZB informed me about. We both were eyeing something in Elephant for a while. Elephant leather does have a peculiar nutty(?) smell to it which isn't unpleasant.

Despite being in a wider H width, the proportions of the pair still look quite good but the Parachute last is on the more casual side for sure. Only thing I wish for is a true bellows tongue on this model. Tongue and shoe collar is padded hence comfort level is very good!

P.S. boot trees from Herrstil and not ZB. No lasted shoe trees for this particular last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking not Zonkey boots, but made by the very same people: Calzaturificio Walles in the Veneto region of Italy.

Just bought the famous "Marmalada" hiking boot by Walles (which I believe is an absolute cult-boot in Japan). This one is actually made for RLPL, but the only difference is that mini heel counter in the back. (I mailed Walles a few a few years ago, trying to get a list of their Italian stockists, but they never bothered to reply.)

http://www.walles.it/collezione-marmolada.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boots are built like the proverbial brick shit-house......aah... bathroom for the more sensitive souls among you, in Norwegian construction with four soles, measuring a full inch all-together.

2 people like this.
  3. ecwy

ecwy Well-Known Member

Where did you find them? They are not common other than Japan it seems and the mark up is horrible for shoes in Japan so doesn't make any sense re-exporting them. I heard they (under the f.lli giacometti brand) made some stuff for RLPL which didn't sell well.

I was initially inspired by the Marmalada boot then saw ZB offering something similar.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

They are currently available at the Ralph Lauren London store. They did stock them in previous years, possibly only in limited quantities, because, as far as I know, they never made it into the sale. I did buy them over the weekend at the RLPL concession in Harrods, as Harrods was having one of their 10% off promotions. "Every little helps", as a popular supermarket slogan goes. The salesman told me, they were already sold out in the flagship store. Whether this is true or he just said it to get me pull the Credit Card, I wouldn't know.

The boots are also available fro Mr Porter:

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens...fidel-ii-burnished-leather-boots/762625?ppv=2

1 person likes this.
  5. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Butters has something similar as well

6. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

7. rbhan12

rbhan12 Well-Known Member

Not entirely true--StC has refused to make me pairs of shoes with certain patterns that had strong "outside inspiration," maybe too much. They definitely aren't in the business of copying other brand's iconic models.

8. KSunnyH

KSunnyH Well-Known Member

Having an incredibly hard time choosing between these for my next purchase. What do you guys think?

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. ecwy

ecwy Well-Known Member

Vote for 1

10. justsayno

justsayno Well-Known Member

1 also. Open to do gmto for it?

11. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Well-Known Member

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

F'g straight dope shit house uh, I mean bathroom there. Nice.
    #2 as I don't like the leather on #1 and I like blue and they seem more unique. When worn you won't see the stripes on the elastic very often … kind of like peeking socks.
    Butters? :happy: [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  13. KSunnyH

Thanks gents. Ended up going with the suede chelseas to add some variety to my collection.

1 person likes this.
  14. KSunnyH

I started craving another pair of Zonkey Boot after visiting their Times Square showroom last month. After a bit of back-and-forth with Alexandra, I ultimately decided on picking up these Chelseas from their webshop. They finally arrived yesterday and I could not be more excited - these things are absolutely gorgeous and look even better in person.
    Details
    • Maker: Zonkey Boot
    • Model: ZEROTHREETHREE.Warhol Chelsea Boot
    • Last: Sailor
    • Size: 9E UK
    • Upper: Midnight Hunting Suede (Janus Butt)
    • Welt: Hand-welted
    • Sole: Single Leather
    • Price: € 701.00 (€ 665 for the boots, € 36 for the shipping) which translates to $787.77 USD
    This is my fourth pair of Zonkey Boot and it will definitely not be the last. I tend to be pretty conservative with my money and buy most of my shoes secondhand through various online sources. I've paid full price on my last 3 pairs of ZB which really says a lot about how excellent their stuff is. There's just no other maker that produces such uniquely styled footwear made to the highest standards of quality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Well-Known Member

beautiful shoes KSunnyH, I've been successfully fighting the urge to pick these up for months now!

16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Anyone happen to know if Zonkey's Sailor last is the exact same as St. Crispin's?

17. KSunnyH

It is not. I've confirmed this with John Lee, their NYC representative.

18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Thanks, KSunnyH. Do you happen to know the difference between the two, by chance?

19. KSunnyH

That I couldn't tell you, I'm sure Alexandra/Michael would be able to help you though.

1 person likes this.