1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Zegna trofeo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spatten, Oct 7, 2004.

1. spatten

spatten Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a suit at Neiman Marcus Last call that I am happy with.

It appears to be fully canvas construction, with hand stiched lapels in a very nice fabric. On the inside of the jacket is a label which says "Ermengildo Zegna" and on the other side is a label "Trofeo". There is no lable indicating "Tessuto" or the like.

I assumed the suit and the fabric was made by Zegna, but after searching the posts on this site I see no reference to the "trofeo" line and some indications this is a fabric line. Any thoughts? Could this be the "regular" Zegna line? Also the MSRP on the NM tag was about 2100$.

I am mainly asking so that I can, in the future, purchase Zegna at ebay or other sites and be fairly confident a fit is achievable.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Trofeo is a Zegna line.

I know it will turn up in a search here.

NM would not sell a "Tessuto Zegna" suit by the way.

3. spatten

spatten Well-Known Member

Good to know that NM won't sell the Tessuto stuff. I don't have much experience purchasing at outlets like Last Call, and there is always this little voice that says "if the price is too good to be true...." I guess at the price I picked it up (<600&#036[​IMG], I couldn't help wondering.

4. regularjoe

regularjoe Well-Known Member

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Yes, Trofeo was a Zegna line that featured special Zegna fabrics-hence they were of slightly higher quality than the regular line, but don't have as much handwork as the Napoli line.

koji

6. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

Trofeo is the name of one of their lines of cloth.

7. smokinggun

smokinggun Member

Anybody have experience shopping at the Zegna outlets? Are the suits their regular lines? Or do they make them specifically for the outlets out of Tessuto Zegna cloth?

8. jerseyguy

jerseyguy Well-Known Member

Tessuto Zegna just means Zegna cloth, and it's something only OTHER manufacturers would do to get Zegna's name on their no-name suit.

Since Zegna produces all of their suits themselves, they have no need for this and you will never see just a &quot;Tessuto Zegna&quot; on a Zegna-manufactured suits. Everything at the outlet mall is the stuff you'd find in stores and if you go during the sales, you can get suits for $5-600. What you should watch out for, however, are the lower-priced Z Zegna and Zegna &quot;soft&quot; which are both fused.

9. smokinggun

smokinggun Member

Thanx for the tip.

10. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Zegna sponsors a wool competition in Australia, and under the terms of the contest, the sheep farmers have to promise to sell their wool to Zegna if they win. The winning wool gets a trophy and forms (at least some) of the raw material for Zegna Trofeo fabrics.

I suppose that it might be possible for a suit manufacturer to buy Trofeo fabric from Zegna and make suits out of it, but I've never seen this. Trofeo is certainly nice stuff, but I don't think that it's worth the price premium that it commands.

Like the others, I've never seen Tessuto Zegna suits at Neiman Marcus, just suits made by Zegna.

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

If there ever were any, I'd guess that a non-Zegna constructed, Zegna-cloth suit one found at Neiman Marcus would be at least as well-constructed as (if not better than) suits bearing a &quot;real&quot; Ermenegildo Zegna label.

Remember, &quot;Tessuto E. Zegna&quot; labels mean Zegna cloth, NOT &quot;poorly made sketchy suit.&quot;  If I get WW Chan to make me a suit from Trofeo or Traveller, it's going to have a Tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna tag on the inside right breast, but that doesn't make the suit a piece of junk.

12. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

I've been to their outlet just outside Florence, in a complex called &quot;The Mall&quot;. From what I saw, the suits were usually regular line, and there was also fabrics for sale.