1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Zara

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Steve B., Jun 25, 2007.

1. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Well-Known Member

more towards BR but slightly less

2. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

more towards BR but slightly less
    Well-said although I think Zara's sale prices are much better than BR. It brings items down to H&M prices and often lower.

3. v0rtex

v0rtex Well-Known Member

I've had quite a bit of stuff from Zara and would say it was better than H&M, but then the items are more expensive at retail.

I've also noticed a lot of it is /direct/ rip-offs of catwalk pieces, especially Prada and Dior Homme. Hence I'd say it was more fashion-forward/european styled than Banana Republic.

4. mendel

mendel Well-Known Member

I've also noticed a lot of it is /direct/ rip-offs of catwalk pieces, especially Prada and Dior Homme. Hence I'd say it was more fashion-forward/european styled than Banana Republic.

Very much so. I'm of average build with a bit of a spare tire. I'll never, ever find anything at Banana Republic that is too slim-cut for me, but last time I was in a Zara about half of what I tried on fit great in the shoulders and sleeves but was too slim through the body, or fit fine in the waist and seat but was too slim through the legs.

(Which means it's probably just right for your typical S+D participant, but still, a marked difference in cuts.)

5. sonicsurfer

sonicsurfer Member

I think they have great trendy clothes, styles in modern fit. Quality wise its definitely better than H&M but not the same as Banana Republic or Club Monaco. I have 2 pairs of Zara shoes and I still have them after 1 bright & shiny and good condition but I've worn either of them like once per week. I think its the best lower end labels out there in market.

6. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I stopped by Zara the other day and picked up some linen shirts and a pair of linen pants. These are the first Zara items in my wardrobe, and I am pleased with their quality to price ratio. They're probably in the JCrew/Banana range in terms of quality. I wouldn't pay retail, but a decent deal if on sale.

7. chadler

chadler Well-Known Member

zara is much better quality than h&m. you can really notice it in their suits and jackets.

in terms of their merchandise, their philosophy is to jump on every trend/style quick to capitalize it before anyone else does. very often you'll see their version of a highend designer labels product available sooner because they can produce it so quick. they see it on the catwalk and less than 2 weeks later it's in their stores.

zara's set up is badass.

8. todesengel

todesengel Well-Known Member

That's actually the basis of their entire business model (Fast Fashion is the term newspapers like to use). I've read it takes them about 3 weeks to get an idea from concept to in the stores, compared to 6 months+ for traditional clothing companies (Gap, etc). Since they can churn out new ideas so quickly, that's why a) you see a lot of current runway stuff in their collections, b) they make most everything in small, one run batches, so their stock changes a lot. Pretty cool concept, the Economist and a few other big newspapers have done articles on them, makes for interesting reading.

Anyways, everything I've bought from them has lasted and lasted, the quality is very good for the price.

9. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

They can be found pretty much everywhere in Canada. I bought a peacoat from them once but didn't really like it. Probably my own fault though because it was simply too big. I seem to recall it being made in Russia, does anyone know if they make other garmets there as well?

10. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

bumping an extremely old thread because...

Zara apparently has a webstore as of today:

http://www.zara.com

of particular interest (to me at least) is this:

[​IMG]

not sure this fits with anything else I own but I like the look and its about half the price of the similar version from allsaints.

still, hesitant to kop since quality and fit will probably turn out to be subpar and I'll end up regretting it. thoughts?

</mikey>

11. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Do you live near a brick & mortar location? I would imagine they'd have free returns in-store.

I'm probably going to pick up one of those double-layer t-shirts, maybe one of those cropped patch-pocket blazers. There's a store in Philly, but the men's department has an abysmal selection, so I'll probably just use it as a returns depot for whatever portion of the stuff I get ends up not fitting and/or sucking.

12. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

^ that coat is nice irl and has a good fit.

I will be buying some t's off their new website and will report back on fit. The double t, 3/4 length arm t, slim, etc.

13. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

good call, there are actually a few B&M locations near me. I stopped checking them out 3-4 years ago when I decided I didn't like the direction they were taking, but a lot of the stuff I see on the website looks a lot better than what I last remember seeing in the stores.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jean-Claude VanDamme

Jean-Claude VanDamme Well-Known Member

Is there a difference in sizing between the Asian Zaras and US Zaras? Or is everything universal between the reigons?

15. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

I like some of their basics......but sizing is a pian in the ass. I picked up some swim trunks in store in a size large...and keep in mind im a true 32" waist....and had to take them back for an XL. depressing as hell. ;)

16. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Well-Known Member

Used to like Zara a lot mostly when I didn't know any better. A couple of things I liked have really not aged well; falling apart or faded or losing shape. And maybe I've just had bad luck but the zipper quality is atrocious.

17. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

With their Spanish origins, they've made a mark on Latin American markets. In downtown Montevideo (between Punta Carretas and Pocitios) there were two stores large enough to be considered flagships.

I didn't love what I saw down there, but will be interested to finally check out the website. Thanks for the posting semi-OP.

18. JakeLA

JakeLA Well-Known Member

If you miss Structure, you'll love Zara.

19. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Best mall store style wise.

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I'm sure all the sizing measurements are the same, '44L' is '44L' no matter where you are. But availability of certain sizes maybe different to reflect demand in the local markets. I know Zara in Bristol, UK had exactly the same garments as Zara in Beijing, China, but probably more small sizes than the larger sizes.

Availability of certain garment sizes for a given country can be extremely important as Marks & Spencer found out:
    http://www.chinaretailnews.com/2009/02/16/2273-marks-and-spencer-admits-mistakes-in-china/
    "At the same time, Sir Stuart admitted that the company misunderstood the Chinese mainland market, assuming that its experience in Hong Kong could be directly transferred to this market. Therefore, the clothing sizes supplied in Shanghai were based on the Hong Kong sizing, but the smaller sizes rapidly sold out. "We had a screw-up," he said."

Myself, I'm quite a large and tall Englishman, so often I find it difficult to find garments of my size in China. No problem finding '44L' in Bristol, but quite difficult in Xilinhot.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011