1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Zara

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by muchisgiven, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Zara's great for slimmer casual shirts and, occasionally, odd trousers. Cheap, good fit, so decent value.

You just need to check the fabric label carefully and give anything you intend buying a quick once over to check it hasn't slipped through quality control by mistake.

2. kmistry

kmistry Member

I own a few Zara items. I tend to put them above H&M, below J. Crew. Zara proves very tempting especially as it isn't absurdly expensive and the items are very aesthetically pleasing. But at the end of the day I would just look out for a used version of the higher end piece of clothing they are trying to copy. Zara quality is mediocre and their pieces often look better on the shelf. And it's such a shame because they do a great job of imitating exactly what loafers I want.

3. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Well-Known Member

So I was just looking for recommendations....

I would say Mexx is the Dutch equivalent to Zara.

4. montyharding

montyharding Well-Known Member

I have bought a couple of Zara suits and even an ad-hoc dinner suit when I didn't have one handy. (When I tell people I never travel without a dinner suit, they get to thinking I'm some sort of James Bond. If only) You get what you pay for IMO - dreck. I think I still have one of the suits at the back of my closet, but I never wore them past their temporary stand-in period.

5. TiesNotOptional

TiesNotOptional Member

Mexx is another good brand for reasonably cheap suits/shirts (though I prefer Zara personally) but I always find the arms to be much too short for me, and I'm not tall either..

6. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Read expensive !!

7. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

Zara is okay. I used to own several of their shirts but they definitely start to fall apart at the seams, buttons fall off, etc. after several wearings. I've never looked at Mexx?

In my opinion, Zara is best for their jackets/coats if you're planning on wearing it for only 1 season. You can grab them for ~ $150 and they are cut much better than what you would get at BR/J Crew and they don't break the bank.

Costume National is a great brand, but as mentioned above, very expensive. I own several coats from them and will have to admit that even though they look great and are cut slim, the quality is lacking for the pricepoint.