1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Your Very Elegant Mother will Just have to find another seat.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by j, Aug 24, 2006.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Um, Jeremy, what are you talking about? What does Pluto have to do with "Your Very Elegant Mother will Just have to find another seat."?

Jon.

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    (Psst...don't anyone tell Jon.)

4. j

j Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. imageWIS

Oh, god. I can't believe you guys can take such a meaningless story and turn it into the most juvenile thing you can possibly think of. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jon.

6. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

I don't get the title. Is it supposed to be another inside joke like brown is for farmer?

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Oh, god. I can't believe you guys can take such a meaningless story and turn it into the most juvenile thing you can possibly think of. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jon.

Hmm, somebody's not acting like they deserve fudge . . .

8. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

I always though she served us nine pies, so I guess she'll have to find something else to fix us.

9. imageWIS

Hmm, somebody's not acting like they deserve fudge . . .

Listen, it wasn't funny and apparently I was not the only person who didn't get it at first ^. And honestly, it wasn't that obvious in the first place. Anyways, I don't like fudge.

Jon.

10. lawyerdad

Listen, it wasn't funny and apparently I was not the only person who didn't get it at first ^. And honestly, it wasn't that obvious in the first place. Anyways, I don't like fudge.

Jon.

Personally, I thought it was a little bit funny. YMMV, obviously. My response was intended more to be an opportunistic riff on the whole mnemonic thing as well as a bit of a hint for you or anyone else who didn't get the reference - "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" being a common mnemonic phrase used for learning musical notation.

11. j

j Well-Known Member

Testy testy. Good one lawyerdad. BTW, doesn't anyone care at all that Pluto is no longer a planet? I feel like I've been living a lie all these years!

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Personally, I thought it was a little bit funny. YMMV, obviously. My response was intended more to be an opportunistic riff on the whole mnemonic thing as well as a bit of a hint for you or anyone else who didn't get the reference - "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" being a common mnemonic phrase used for learning musical notation.
    Isn't YMMV a car term?

13. lawyerdad

Isn't YMMV a car term?
    I think of it ("Your Mileage May Vary") as a literal car term that has through common usage mutated into a metaphorical "internet term" denoting that individuals often have different perceptions of or reactions to comparable experiences, facts, etc.

14. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

Testy testy. Good one lawyerdad. BTW, doesn't anyone care at all that Pluto is no longer a planet? I feel like I've been living a lie all these years!

I'm still trying to get over the map of Eastern Europe since the Iron Curtain collapsed - you just can't go home again.

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

What I found most interesting about this story is that a group of people can get together and unilaterally decide that something no longer is. Can this be applied to other areas of life? Is there a committee that decides that a woman is no longer a "babe"? If there is, I have some prime candidates for demotion.

16. j

j Well-Known Member

I think of it ("Your Mileage May Vary") as a literal car term that has through common usage mutated into a metaphorical "internet term" denoting that individuals often have different perceptions of or reactions to comparable experiences, facts, etc.
    It may have existed before the book, but Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series popularized the phrase, and it found its way with fans of the book onto the internet from there.

17. lawyerdad

What I found most interesting about this story is that a group of people can get together and unilaterally decide that something no longer is. Can this be applied to other areas of life? Is there a committee that decides that a woman is no longer a "babe"? If there is, I have some prime candidates for demotion.
    I thought that had already been done in some threads on this site . . .

18. j

j Well-Known Member

I thought that had already been done in some threads on this site . . .
    We are the arbiters, and the rescinders of titles...

19. imageWIS

We are the arbiters, and the rescinders of titles...

We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Jon.

20. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

I don't get the title. Is it supposed to be another inside joke like brown is for farmer?

My mother was very "educated" (the Midwestern variant, circa 1970s), so I'll have to ask her...