1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.

@the shah Things are going alright all considered. Been crazy busy lately and I am likely to get even busier, heh. The little one is growing every day and I wish I could tell her to slow down so I can catch up :D.

@Parker Been meaning to do the same thing with this thread actually. It's funny, the minute I began working in fashion here, the less I have the time to keep up with what is going on in the industry. I guess I am also becoming more and more interested in producing and helping others to produce and/or sell over here so my focus has shifted a tad.

I still try and keep up with Yohji though. The longer I own certain pieces and the more I wear his clothing, the more I appreciate the thought that goes into them and the spirit that they carry. Very contented at the moment and while I may not be as eager to hunt for new pieces any more, every single thing I have bought from recent seasons has always been a pleasure to own. Looking forward to SS16!

1 person likes this.
  2. happyriverz

happyriverz Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker on SF but first time poster.

I caught the Yohji bug when I stumbled into a NYC store called Dear Rivington while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. What really caught my eye was the owner's Yohji pants: the drape and the flow were just incredible when he walked around the store and showed me stuff. BTW, if you are a fan of Yohji, you should totally check out the store: it stocks current and vintage Yohji and CdG, along with one-of-a-kinds and pieces made only for the Japanese market.

Unfortunately I did not have time to try on any of the pants as I was late meeting a friend, but ever since then I've been meaning to get a pair of Yohji pants, but I have a couple of questions, so I thought I'd ask them here.

Other than the volume, is there something else that makes Yohji pants drape and move like the way they do? Is it something special or unique with the cut? In other words, how distinct are Yohji pants from other wide-legged trouers, for example, like these wide-legged trousers from E Tautz?

Can Y-3 pants be considered somewhat representative of mainline/YYPH pants in terms of silhouette? I see some on Yoox, and while they have a similar shape to the Yohji pants I saw, it's not clear, especially based on the crappy Yoox pictures, whether Y-3 pants could serve as an adequate entry point to get used to the Yohji silhouette.

3. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I think it's hard to compare since Yohji makes so many different cuts of pants: slim, full, wide, cropped etc. Also, he makes conventional designs like those Tautz, but a lot with elaborate closure systems, buttons, etc. As a generalization, his pants always seem to "hang" very well off the rear and waist -- probably because he is an expert pattern maker.

If you're looking for drape, I'd go for wool. Cotton is trickier. It really depends on the fabric, some has it some doesn't.

Someone else could elaborate on Y-3. The few things I have are close in cut and silhouette to the mainline, but the fabrics are all athletic stuff which doesn't always jive with things like a wool blazer or dress shirt. e.g. I just bought some harem style balloon pants which have a great shape but they are made from a coarse cotton-poly which has none of the "flow" of wool gab or even the nicer cotton-blends from YYPH.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. happyriverz

happyriverz Well-Known Member

Thanks Parker!

5. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Today. This might be better with black boots. but these sneakers are so comfy. [​IMG]

AW 2007 wool blazer with knit panels (grail)
    SS 2007 jersey pants with faux shorts over the top
    SS 2012 long belt
    Uniqlo tee
    Adidas Matchplay

Sometimes fit snapshots are just blobs of black, but I'm always surprised at how much texture and color variation there can be in all that black. Heavy cotton jersey, dry and light cupro, sturdy but soft gabardine, etc. all give off different effects at close range.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    24 people like this.
  6. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

:fu: that knit insert season so elusive

awesome stuff

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Eddiee

Eddiee Well-Known Member

those pants are amazing

8. Ragechester

Ragechester Well-Known Member

It's good to see this thread picking back up. Theres been some really inspiring stuff in here recently, thanks dudes [​IMG]

9. davidlee388

davidlee388 Well-Known Member

It has been a while since a picture was posted and probably first time for a all non-black outfit [​IMG]

YYPH SS14 Look 37 Layered Blazer - ( HG-J16-803 )
    YYPH SS14 Look 39 Layered Pants - ( HG-P14-803 )
    Dual layered, unequal length intricate construction, outer shell 64/36 cupro/rayon, inner longer layer in soft hand thin cotton. Someone mentioned drape and silhouette of YY pants....these SS14 are obviously amazing in motiion
    YYPH AW05 LS Tee ( HN-T59-063 ) - cotton
    YYPH SS14 Look 36 Canvas Sneakers - ( HG-E01-970 )
    Yohji Yamamoto SS15 YY7002 Sunglasses

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  10. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Yohji whites! Looks nice. Must be warm enough for shorts.

- - -

Video of AW16 below. Might be the oddest soundtrack ever. I got no 50s vibes from the clothes, but I maybe Yohji is nostalgic for the old Cold War era. The clothes look great to me. Gotta get some of those pants. Blue Docs! Also the guy in the front row wearing the invite apron is hilarious with his deadpan gaze.

[​IMG]

Yakkety-yak!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    3 people like this.
  11. JumboSensei

JumboSensei New Member

Hey guys - i'm new here and have a quick question.

I was wandering where the best platform to buy / sell / trade Yohji items is? Is there a community that does that on here? I imagine this is the best place to ask. I have a modest collection I would be interested in trading or selling. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers [​IMG]

12. ProfMonnitoff

ProfMonnitoff Well-Known Member

to sell, I would list for a reasonable price on here and sufu and stylezeitgeist, and for a higher price on grailed. i wouldn't advise to list on ebay, i've seen stuff end much lower there than it should. for buying the market is really bad right now, ebay is 99% junk, grailed is overpriced mostly, so y!jp and rakuten are your only options really.

13. JumboSensei

JumboSensei New Member

Ah, its as I thought then. I buy mainly from y!jp and rakuten, but was hoping there would be a secret community or something haha.

Thanks anyway! [​IMG]

14. JusTie

JusTie New Member

Has anyone tried buying from the s'yte website yet? If yes, any idea how to ship their stuff out of japan?

15. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

A year or so ago I bought a knit from the s'yte site. They shipped directly to me in California. You may be able to use a proxy service such as FromJapan or ZenMarket if you can't get something shipped directly to you.

The s'yte stuff looks pretty cool. And as David mentioned would fit well with much of the Pour Homme stuff.

I like these olive back zip chinos:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

Ive been on the lookout for this shirt for some while and found it but completely stained in places. Anyway I just though it's funny

Basically says Yohji Yamamoto, talks about how Japan and India are both great countries, and then praises hand spun cotton lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    7 people like this.
  17. aoreugifragde

aoreugifragde Member

i bid on that, i prefer shui's version though

18. wrongandright

wrongandright Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm sort of new to Yohji (had to return the FW15 open-side jacket due to sizing issues). I really loved the SS16 collection and would like to purchase a few pieces, but have a couple questions:

- How would one go about contacting the main store in Aoyama via email?
    - Is there a Japanese proxy out there that can purchase directly from the store for me?

Excuse my ignorance. :embar:

Thanks!

19. highwaychild

highwaychild New Member

20. Mojo1990

Mojo1990 Well-Known Member

I would really appreciate if someone Could kindly list current online stores that have the latest SS16 drops. I'm new to Yohji's work :) I have already purchased a beautiful mandarin collar black shirt that works realky well with some of my dark Lemaire pieces

The website is daunting to navigate. Way too many links opening up different mini browsers and stuff. Not sure exactly what I'm navigating.