• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I will be a hypocrite if I say they looked amazing on you since you can't see much with those pictures esp the second one, you usually have some amazingly choreographed shots? :slayer:

However I've seen those pants in the classified and Rex's page so they should have the usual Yohji attributes ( fabrics, construction, silhouette ). It's high time you post something with a face/smile ( Asobu did already ) :)

Those shoes look fine btw.

Finally what does " oh dear " mean my friend? You won them didn't you? If so you will need the matching blazer ( OS sz 3 ) available in Cambon :nodding:

Those pants are amazing, shah. Mentioned in rft, but I had a look at atelier's Yohji buy. Really great pieces in there. This shirt was surprisingly amazing in person. Pics don't capture how nice the fabric and details are.
http://ateliernewyork.com/tops/silky-cotton-back-gathered-button-down-shirt/?designer=Yohji+Yamamoto

thanks! the oh dear was two-fold, i don't want to be tempted to complete the suit firstly and secondly i hope the pants don't fit like this

you're right, david, the y's pants are just what you'd expect. they are suspended about me with a belt. very light weight but retain their shape and have some momentum of their own due to the constrictions of the cuffed hems.

here are some slightly better pics of what i wore
not sure why it looks like a brownish-red hue in the middle of shirt closeup, it's just dark peppered color with bits of navy and brown thrown in.
the bottom is quite volumunious and airy despite being wool of heavier than summer weight. comes to a [relative] taper, billows about the legs elegantly

... the picture kinda scared me lol

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that a guidi bag? If so how has t held up in terms of use and loads?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that a guidi bag? If so how has t held up in terms of use and loads?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
are you asking me about the white tote ? yeah it came with guidi leather...it's stained with coffee now lol need to bleach it but it's surprisingly resilient and i can fit a good amount of stuff i need for a day out and about.

i know this is all repetitive and boring, but it's (hopefully) one of the last chances i get to wear outerwear and i don't think i shared a proper fit of the jacket ?

aw12 reinhard plank felted rabbit fur
aw04 speckled wool
random belt and i think a really really old shirt from the gap that's too comfy hehe
aw10 brushed wool
moma
ute ss12 line bag

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good to know. I have 2 that I should use. The all white is real pretty IMO. Nice fit. I can't seem to pull off the gray top and black bottom without looking like 2 halves. The hat and volume certainly help.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
shah, I like the way those marsells look in the pictures you shared, but based on the pair I briefly owned I can understand your fear about the shapelessness. Those don't come across nearly as blobby, though.

davidlee388

Reaction score

YYPH AW98 Handstitched Blazer - ( HY-J49-999 ) - not very often I get a WOW piece, and this is.100% 999 wool gabardine, unique dry hand but also soft & indestructible. From the " Vivienne Westwood " collection. In fact I have a suspicion it's the same Look worn by Miss Westwood herself. Size S enormous old school fit ( like sz 4 or above of today's ). Long silhouette. Fully lined in rayon. Unbelievable drape and grace in motion. Single horn button closure, 3B non-working " cuffed " cuffs. Long pleat at the back. It has this amazing white handstitching ( thread ) holding onto upper part of notch lapels, collar and back pleat. So you can make it collar-less and open up the back pleat completely ( I wouldn't! ) Another vindication that old is still the best. Mind-blowing construction.

YYPH AW08 " Bat " High Neck Knit ( HE-K59-972 ) - 100% supersoft laine wool. Sz 3, long, oversized fit, ribbed hem and cuffs. Knitted bat motif. I am the Dark Knight :)

Y's for men AW08 Drawstring Pants ( ME-P52-074 ) 100% interlocked cotton, great oversized ( 40" waist ) sz 2 fit.

YY x Adidas AW08 Leather/Fabric YY G8 Zip Boots ( HE-E02-721 ) - size 2.

Uniqlo

Last edited:

surver

Reaction score

Donnie Yen's ( who played Ip Man ) first wife Joanne all those years ago used to be a SA @ a boutique in HK called Matsuda ( called Monsieur Niclole in Japan ) which happened to be one of my favorite brands back then so I knew her rather well. # 6 Degrees Of Separation

@StevenE, yes Fist Of Fury also my favorite, Jackie Chan was a stunt double for that *** Dude in the final fight.

I'm a die hard Bruce Lee fan really & hence drawn to the Dragon. Besides it's rather lovely.

yeah! finally a fellow MATSUDA fan!!!

and in top of that related to Bruce Lee :) big fan too ;)

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shah, that jacket look proper good on you mate. Glad to see!

great jacket david, now you have a couple of those handstitched '98 pieces! That gabardine is fantastic.

surver

Reaction score
hi all, by any chance any of you might have this pair of SS12 hakamas in size 2 or 3 in black wool gaberdine or linen-blend that you're willing to let go of? or know of anyone that has a pair in good condition that's willing to sell them to me? been looking ALL over for them with no luck... the YYPH code is HB-P41-xxx. thanks!

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
great jacket david, now you have a couple of those handstitched '98 pieces! That gabardine is fantastic.
I have you to thank for getting this blazer, I wouldn't have recognized the handstitched details ( hence the season and bidded high for it ) had I not bought yours first. Do you think this could be the one worn by Vivienne ( with the collar detached ) with white shirt/red tie and matching black pants on the Runway?

yeah! finally a fellow MATSUDA fan!!!

and in top of that related to Bruce Lee
smile.gif
big fan too
wink.gif
I still have those vintage Matsuda pieces in storage & those spectacles/braces/arm clippers were amazing. So were its Lookbooks :)
For the record, I was joking about being Bruce Lee's relation, I wish! But I am a big big fan :)

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
^ haha i believed you :embar:

agreed with others, that '98 piece is so fantastic and even more so considering its age

thanks again A for this speckled goodness along with the goodies !

Last edited:

surver

Reaction score

I have you to thank for getting this blazer, I wouldn't have recognized the handstitched details ( hence the season and bidded high for it ) had I not bought yours first. Do you think this could be the one worn by Vivienne ( with the collar detached ) with white shirt/red tie and matching black pants on the Runway? 

I still have those vintage Matsuda pieces in storage & those spectacles/braces/arm clippers were amazing. So were its Lookbooks :)
For the record, I was joking about being Bruce Lee's relation, I wish! But I am a big big fan :)

duh i believed you too ;P

still have some Matsuda lookbooks stashed away in storage somewhere as well as a few pieces that managed to move with me through all the different cities/countries i've been through over the years... came across a eyewear dealer in taiwan a few years ago with a backstock of vintage matsuda glasses and ended up buying almost all of them :) anyway, whatever happened to the brand and kobayashi?

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received the cropped cotton pants (season?) from Yoox and they are pretty great as you'd expect. Soft and breezy. They came with an incredibly long belt made from the same cotton fabric, which I didn't realize. It wraps around my waist 3 times. Sorry I can't get good enough light for an iphone photo, but for once the Yoox model looks accurate: http://www.yoox.com/pt/36371372JO/item?dept=#sts=dreambox80&cod10=36371372JO&sizeId=4 Size 3 still available. If you need a waist measurement from my 2 let me know, but the sizing is how you'd expect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads