1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Amazing pics from everyone. :)

Davidlee, nice hakama pants. Do you reckon they work in tropical weather and with just light weight tops?

2. davidlee388

davidlee388 Well-Known Member

Thanks. They are summer 100 wool gabardine so I guess they can work in tropical weather since they are so voluminous ( ventilation ). Ideally you want cotton 010 or linen hakamas for really hot and humid climate ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. davidlee388

Anticipation, excitement aka YYPH AW15

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Well-Known Member

hope you have fun over there david! :nodding:

5. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

yes! have a nice yohji.

[​IMG]

btw @davidlee388 love that fit with the hakama and asymmetric blazer. really great silhouette.

1 person likes this.
  6. Harlock66

Harlock66 Well-Known Member

I'll be in Paris next month so I'm incredibly excited to go to the YY store for the first time. And glad to show solidarity for today's terrible tragedy.

7. Ivwri

Ivwri Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I have the same pair and I have no problems at all wearing them around in Lagos comfort-wise. The volume allows for air flow and 100 gabardine is light enough to be trans-seasonal for the most part. Of course, the cotton and linen versions they released that season are definitely lighter so any of them could work.

2 people like this.
  8. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Thanks lvwri and David,

Just ordered a cropped YY Nordic print pants online and eagerly waiting for its arrival.

But after looking at David's fit pic, I realized a big part of YY essence is flowy silhouette and loose cut pants are probably the next step for me.

Looking at hakama, balloon and some of the latest SS2015 loose cut pants (those on anton site look real good) as my follow up. :)

Also understand why these pants are always sold out from those online stores compared to tighter fit ones.

1 person likes this.
  9. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

stumbled across this while wasting time today.

[​IMG]

10. davidlee388

That's a coat from aw03, nice.

BTW aw03 and ss15 will share the same seasonal code ( HU- ), it's gone full circle :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  11. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

11 people like this.
  12. chiaki

chiaki New Member

Hello everyone! This is a wonderful thread. I've always been interested in Yohji Yamamoto and decided to test the waters with the purchase of a shirt (white, of course!) with a detachable zip collar (so cool) from AW '14. I'm 5'8" without shoes and usually an inch taller with whatever shoes I'm wearing. I'm only 146lbs, but I recall asobu's recommendation to take into account height when shopping for Yohji. So I ordered a size 3 from Barneys, and am definitely hoping that I attain that slightly oversized (but aesthetically pleasing) fit. Hopefully I can post fit pictures soon. It's this shirt here:

[​IMG]

Buyer's remorse story: I also ordered the AW '14 camo motorcycle jacket in wool (size 3, Barney's) got cold feet, and cancelled my order. I suppose the excitement of taking a new direction in choosing clothes for myself came over me, and I got a little carried away. It's pieces like this one that challenge me in a way, but for that kind of money I decided to back off and ease into YY: shirt, trousers, shoes (White shirts are so beautiful when it comes to Yamamoto, that I don't mind not having a jacket for a while). Well, here's the jacket that I backed off from (from a photoshoot I found, that's not me!):

[​IMG]
    Personally, I really admire how some individuals can take on challenging garments and make it seem like they've been wearing those clothes for years. Ah well, I hope everyone is having a good start to the new year and that I can post some pictures soon. Oh, and davidlee is the man! I'm always enjoying your pictures, sir! Keep it up!

chiaki

1 person likes this.
  13. davidlee388

@chiaki 146lbs and 5'8" is about default size 3 IMO so you're on the right path. That aw14 camo biker blouson is very nice ( double layered deconstructed with zippers if I'm not mistaken ), no doubt you can acquire it again in due course on Y!. The aw14 shirt you purchased is also good, perfect for layering.

Also thank you for the kind words. We're all constantly learning the Yohji way of aesthetics, my motto is you can look at a million runway images and watch the videos, nothing beats real participation. The Master has been making clothes for 3 decades and there are enough second hand pieces available to suit all budgets. More importantly for me, there's a mental side to wearing his creations, they somehow, no, definitely make me a calmer and (hopefully ) a better person when cocooned and protected by his oversized garments. It's an anti-aggression therapy.

There are regulars here who post great outfits with consummate ease. These guys know their own directions and wear YY with aplomb. If you have time to look through previous pages, check out Wire.artist, Asobu, Ivwri, Parker and the shah ( in no particluar order haha ) and learn from them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  14. Ulf-S

Ulf-S Well-Known Member

That blazer is one of my all-time favourites, and I love a good pair of hakama pants.

15. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Yohji seniors,

Any chance to advise whether these "Thai pants" and "gabardine pants" are from which season?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone own these type of styles before and what are your experiences with them?

Sincere thanks and have a pleasant Sunday.

16. Ulf-S

Ulf-S Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Thanks Ulf,

These are bloody cool. Not too sure whether the site Thai pants are in gabardine but I reckon its worth a try. :)

18. Ulf-S

Ulf-S Well-Known Member

My pleasure, sepp. If you're talking about the thai pants you posted (from justoneeye.com I guess), it looks like they are jersey with a woven top (cotton).

19. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Hi Ulf,

Again thanks for the info.

Another open question to all: Does gabardine "flows" better in motion compared to cotton?

Appreciation in advance.

20. Ulf-S

Ulf-S Well-Known Member

It depends on quality/weave. The classic wool gabardine YY uses is fine and heavy, and not too tightly woven, which gives it an amazing drape with incredible movement. Cotton in general is less flexible compared to wool, but if we're talking jersey it has a lot of movement. It's sort of slinkier but drier compared to the gabardine, if that makes sense. I suggest that you take a good look at runway videos/pics to see how different materials move and really look like in motion.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015