1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. KongGeorgeVII

KongGeorgeVII Well-Known Member

I think I seriously considered those pants for a while but my budget didn't stretch that far at the time. If they are the ones i'm thinking of they have suspender buttons on the inside which will make them really versatile. They look like a great pair of pants.

I wouldn't worry about the length either. It is very much in the spirit of Yohji's philosophy to roll the hems up.

2. Harlock66

Harlock66 Well-Known Member

That is a nifty coat but you can find something cheaper and maybe even better on Y! or Rakuten eventually. I know that I bought YY too fast, too soon until I figured out (thanks to this forum) what was really available. I really like a lot of the ribbed hems of the Y-3 pants and have a couple for lounging and/or working out but once I found the right fit and style in YYPH, etc (and I'm still discovering) it became easier to discriminate.

I'm actually interested in pricing not from a selling POV but from a buying one. In fact, after looking closely at my YY buys over the past couple months I realize I needed to put the brakes on and get way more selective. I've also achieved most of the wardrobe I was looking to create. Some YY stuff is so beautiful like wearable art but I know I wouldn't be wearing it anywhere but my home.

I also realized when thinking about a couple large purchases that a plane ticket to Japan would be equivalent and I could pick up far more clothes that I could actually touch and wear. So I'm working in Paris for a month next year so I can't wait to go to the YY store there and then I'll plot a quick shopping trip to Japan. I sense my YY wallet is in grave danger.

And to pick the great Yohji brains here, I picked up this awesome YYPH black long jacket (laine wool/cupro) for a song on Y! Japan and wonder if you know anything more about the season (HT-J52-129). It's my favorite type of YY anti-collar and though it fits a little wider in the shoulders than I'd like (size 3 or is that just YY oversize at work) the YYPH cotton shirt buffers well (tho I did debut the jacket with only a black Regulation t-shirt) and regardless it feels great. I feel like Dr. No.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

@harlock: that's a very Yohji look IMHO. :)

Btw, for those visiting Y! Japan site...is there a click to change the language to English or you guys really translate the japanese words there bit by bit to understand the sale and transaction?

Total noob here.

4. esox

esox Well-Known Member

you can use google chrome and translate the page. i use it like this. but be prepared for some funny translations.

5. aoreugifragde

aoreugifragde Member

Like the jacket harlock

And you'll also need a proxy Sepp

Yea these are the ones. I'll probably buy these and pass on the robe

6. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

Really couldn't find my way thru the foreign language and terms. Probably will stick to Rakuten for anything from Japan. :)

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

if you just start browsing around YJP with Chrome you'll get used to it pretty quickly. good stuff pops up there and I find the prices to be better than Rakuten (speaking generally so including other brands in that; may be different with Yohji specifically). ordering via a proxy service is a whole other challenge, but it's also not that difficult and just requires getting past the initial confusion. it's all worth it if you want to buy Japanese brands since the deals you'll find are much better, even with shipping factored in. for what it's worth, I use FromJapan (fromjapan.co.jp).

8. Harlock66

Yes, I bought the above jacket (and other items) from Y!Japan using the limited translation at our disposal. Basically, I just need to know the sizing, which is easy to suss out from the site. Of course, some of the photos are a bigger problem as you can't always tell exactly what it is you want to buy....

There are also proxy sites like Sendico that you can just plug the url in and it will give you a basic translation. The best thing about Y!Japan is the prices can be outrageously affordable and the Japanese YY clothes are some of the coolest.

9. xeraphim

xeraphim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

yyph knit, shirt, trousers; adidas x y's sneakers

(pardon the blurry photo)

10 people like this.
  10. Harlock66

I really like the basic black and white YY outfits like that.

xeraphim, what exactly kind of pants are those? Want.

11. xeraphim

xeraphim Well-Known Member

^ trousers are from ss14 - this exact style, but in full black wool gabardine:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Harlock66

Sweet. I love the way they hang and curve at the ankle. I don't like the white stripe on the runway so black is the way to go.

13. cmjct

cmjct Member

That's a STRONG look. I bet those summer-weights have got some amazing movement going on...

14. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

yyph cotton beanie SS2011
    +J parka
    niemans cashmere knit
    yyph wool-nylon pants FW2004
    doc martens

just a smattering of Yohji today. in fact I usually just pepper in Yohji instead of doing full-on looks. someone mentioned slim Yohji pants a few pages back. this pair have a super narrow leg, but a generous waist (with drawstring). somehow they are really comfy even though they're so slim. they have an elastic hem above the ankle and the cuffs can be turned up or let down and you can cinch them with another drawstring if you want. pretty cool. plus these are from the rad "madness" collection... though I liked that it also featured Terry Hall. The Specials were way better than Madness.

if anyone ever sees a Yohji parka from FW2007 lemme know "-)

14 people like this.
  15. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Parker, its great to see how YY mixes with other brands of different cuts and colors.

16. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

that looks great, Parker. happy to see a slightly different take on yohji than what we've been seeing. i really like it. also with you on the specials. (spent a lot of time listening to Ghost Town and A Message to You Rudy while driving in high school)

it would be great to see how people mix yohji with other brands. personally i never wear one designer head to toe, partly because i don't actually own enough of one designer to do that :)embar:) but more importantly because i like the mixing. always loved how LN-CC used the yohji bottoms in their SS12 editorial.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. KongGeorgeVII

I tend to wear a lot of Yohji suits which means I am wearing it top to bottom, but I also mix it with a lot of Comme and some Issey, as well as other bits and pieces. I should post some more fits in WAYWT that aren't pure Yohji but his pieces typically the ones I am excited to post, a lot of my Comme is more of my day to day stuff.

e: I also know for a fact that i'll be getting a copy of Yamamoto & Yohji for christmas!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  18. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

Comma.comma from ebay. Are they legit resellers for YYPH?

[​IMG]

These pants are interesting (not too sure about the height though my body is way slimmer than the model). Was thinking it will work with a lot of my basic wardrobe items.

Any idea whether this is a light SS item or warm AW one? Would appreciate the insights from experienced and wise members in this thread. :)

19. KongGeorgeVII

Yup, they are legit. Purchased one of my AW01 tweed suits from them and it was in immaculate condition. They are on the pricey side though.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  20. sepp

sepp Well-Known Member

KG, sincere thanks for your response.

Not too sure about their pricing but condition of their offers are like 9/10 or 9.5/10; kinda pacified my fears on buying used items online.

Meantime, still waiting for Christmas further drops for YY online retailers. I thought Black Friday was as good as it gets but understood further some retailers will mark the items come Christmas or January sale season.