1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Watashidake

Watashidake Well-Known Member

I've seen some really thick wool-nylon tweed Y's coats (and not too formal), I'm sure there are definitely some thicker wool coats that Yohji's put out.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ulf-S

Ulf-S Well-Known Member

There are definitely heavier YYPH wool coats. This year we have this coat among others. He's made variations on this coat for years in heavier and lighter materials. I have the one in the attached pic from FW 2012-13, which is rather heavy, as well as a similar one in gabardine.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. StevenE

StevenE Well-Known Member

There's a really cool none-too-formal coat in the conduit street store window right now. Could be the type of thing you're looking for.

I've never come across a Yohji coat I've been able to pull off. My shoulders are too small I think, and while that can work fine with a lot of 2 or 3 jackets, the thicker fabrics in the coats tend to make it look like I'm a toddler raiding my dad's wardrobe. I've never seen a 1, which is probably what I'd need.

1 person likes this.
  4. davidlee388

davidlee388 Well-Known Member

Your answer Steven :)

https://www.facebook.com/YOHJIYAMAM...6953520674714/750100411693353/?type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/YOHJIYAMAM...6953520674714/750100278360033/?type=1&theater

5. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

6 people like this.
  6. syed

syed Well-Known Member

That looks absolutely beautiful!

I have the same problem Steven. I'm 6 foot, but I have tiny shoulders, so I end up trying to find either a size 2 with longer sleeves, or a 3 with narrower shoulders (or simply a softer shoulder). I do find raglan sleeves in whichever size the most forgiving though.

And yeah, will keep a lookout for one of the thicker wool Y's coats methinks.

7. myname

myname Active Member

Yohji always seems to have some nice Winter coats show up late in the season (photos from the Isetan Men's Facebook page)...

[​IMG]

Shopping heaven...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Cross-post from WAYWT. Playing with Y's - I'd not really explored Y's, only tried YYPH, but I'm going to keep an eye out for more bits:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. stadsvandringar

stadsvandringar Active Member

A word on Yohji coats: there are definitely heavy and substantial winter-weight coats out there. Some of my heaviest coats are Yohji actually, which came in very handy when I lived in New England. Last year YPH had double layered coats with removable down liners, and there are been collaborations with Moncler in the past. One of my best and heaviest Yohji coats is an unlined pure wool actually, but made from a very tightly woven wool and almost completely impenetrable from the elements. His coats, especially vintage ones, are some of the best out there in my opinion.

2 people like this.
  10. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

Small contribution

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. Harlock66

Harlock66 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long time lurker and YY fan who finally hunkered down this year and started the YY plunge (much to the chagrin of my wallet)....I love all the great info and images here, ground zero for all things Yohji.

To celebrate National Button Day, thought I'd throw up a quick pic of my latest YY nabs. I prefer a casual Yohji vibe and savor the the drape and silhouette of his clothes, truly the most comfortable I've ever worn. So the picture focus is on the shape rather than the detail. Until I get some better shots:]

Y's For Men black cotton knit sweater (medium) - super soft and wonderful fit
    YY "Regulation" black cotton pants (size 2) - awesome comfy pants with waistband string and button. The best part are the buttons that taper the leg to desired size.
    Y's For Men white cotton t-shirt (size 2) - love the way it feels and gives a slash of white to the outfit.
    Y's for Men black wool/nylon coat (size 2) - as others have discovered when shopping online, you can't always tell what you're getting - I expected this to be thicker but it's more like a cape. And it's awesome! I love the way the collar snaps over with one button (there's only two) and flows around and behind me. It also keeps the chill out!
    YYPH black socks
    YYPH black leather belt
    YY Doc Martens

That's all for now...thanks to everybody here who helped me navigate the YY waters...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    5 people like this.
  12. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

13. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

that's a nice silhouette , @Harlock66

from a few weeks back, someone sketched me

[​IMG][​IMG]

boiled wool cap / junya aw13
    cotton stole / schneider aw12
    wool gab coat / cdgh
    cotton shirt / yyph ss11
    brushed wool trousers / yyph aw10
    canvas shoes / cdg jack purcells
    linen bag / ute ploeir ss12

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

without bag:
    [​IMG]

25 people like this.
  14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Well-Known Member

Prob my fave Schneider stole.
    Yohji shirt is great. Large buttons and colour :slayer:

15. Harlock66

Harlock66 Well-Known Member

Great look. And sketch!

16. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

YYPH long frock coat with leather fringe*
    cashmere t-neck
    plokhov cargo pants with more straps
    docs

*new Yohji item for me. based on the tag it's either AW2008 or SS2002. not really sure, seems more like the pimped 70s collection. it's got lots of leather straps and fringe.

33 people like this.
  17. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

18. davidlee388

davidlee388 Well-Known Member

Nice to see regulars like the shah and Parker posting here again, and great fits and silhouettes as always. It's good to read this forum nowadays as a complete bystander.

Btw Parker I have been told you have acquired something recently that I consider totally grail worthy and let me know when you're tired of it and we can have a talk about passing it on haha [​IMG]

19. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

thanks davidlee! heheh, yeah, I couldn't help it. that piece was too good. and yeah, I will find you at some point if I can't make it work. Yohji 07 is still tops for me -- even though I think he's really hitting a zenith now. Seems like he's just creating art and oh, yeah btw they're clothes too.

1 person likes this.